Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaylomaster

Text Screens?

Hey guys can some1 help me how to make a text screen? like not the doom builder 1 like uno how u finish the 6th level and theres text? i need help makin that. plz help ive loooked evrywhere but surely i would find something at doomworld =)

From KayloMasta

What port do you target?

For maximal compatibility, you'll have to use dehacked for that. However, you'll have limitations in that your text can't be longer than the original, and it'll have to be in the exact same place (i.e., after map 6, not after map 1 or map 8).

If you want to use a advanced port features, then you've gotta read up on things such as MAPINFO, EMAPINFO, etc. But then it depends on which port(s) you target.

Gez said:

What port do you target?

For maximal compatibility, you'll have to use dehacked for that. However, you'll have limitations in that your text can't be longer than the original, and it'll have to be in the exact same place (i.e., after map 6, not after map 1 or map 8).

If you want to use a advanced port features, then you've gotta read up on things such as MAPINFO, EMAPINFO, etc. But then it depends on which port(s) you target.

i cant actually get dehacked working. i read the readme do what it says but every time i try running it the command prompt comes up for a split second then closes again. i think theres an error. is it cuz i have windows 7, or just the way i program it?

It's because you do not know how to use a command-line program.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command-line_interface

You need to start cmd.exe. It's in Start menu -> Accessories and called "Command prompt" or a name like that; though the best method is to simply go in your dehacked directory, hold shift (important) and right-click in an empty area (not on a file or folder). In the context menu, select "Open command prompt window" or however it's called, and you'll have a CLI waiting for you in the right directory, no need to bother with CD commands to get there.

There are a lot of old Doom editing tools that were developed for DOS. Now if they were programmed to only work on a file given to it as a parameter, in this way for example:

edit myfile.txt
then it's frequent that if they're not given said parameter, they do nothing and just exit immediately with an error message telling the user how to use it.

Now Windows will open a command line window for DOS programs, but will close it as soon as the program closes. Which in such cases is immediately.

Alternatively, if all this seems far too complicated for you, I think there's a windows version of Dehacked. Winhacked or something like that.

Gez said:

Alternatively, if all this seems far too complicated for you, I think there's a windows version of Dehacked. Winhacked or something like that.

Whacked

EDIT: updated link to direct to the latest version.

Does Windows 7 support 16-bit code execution? On my XP Pro PC the most reliable way to get Dehacked 3.1 running is under DOS-Box.