Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RDMonkey

Making maps for Doom64 EX

I know that the editor has been discontinued (and that it sux) but i REALLY wanna make maps for it...is there a config or editor that works with D64EX?

P.S. This is probably the millionth post related to mapping D64EX :3

Its probably a bad idea to start now when the editor isn't fully ready for prime-time yet. But for the most part, its usable.

Tanks its cool...

But theres alotta bugs in the DB64 (yes i know i expected it). I wish i could help though :\

I made a single map for it but i got an error when i tried to test it >.< AND i also got an error when trying to work on it again!

Testing: "ERROR - Z_MALLOC: FAILURE TRYING TO ALLOCATE 4294575136 BYTES
SOURCE : E::SOURCESSKEXXSRCCP_SETUP:C:317"

Re-Editing: "Unable to read the map data structures with the specified configuration." - I have no idea how this is possible.

<:C

=P

I figured that much, im just letting you know in advanced incase this might be a problem your trying to fix or something. (kinda blunt with that dued) Again, i REALLY wish i could help but i dont know any scripting languages (except ACS **).

Good Luck on this Kaiser and i hope you finish both D64EX and DB64.

-With sincerity,
RDMonkey

Okay so apparently the editor is failing to specify a lump size of 0 if theres no data. Because Doom64ex is freaking out that the macros lump is > 0 bytes but contains no data. Where have I seen this issue before....

Right now a work around you could do is to create at least one or two macros and that should work afterwards.

This may siound stoopid but how do i makes a macro?

cuz if it deals with scripting langauges i cant do it =P

Its not documented yet, but for now just to get the map working, just create a dummy sector somewhere and assign one of the linedefs a linetype of 256. Thats it.

While macros is a scripting feature, it requires no working knowledge of previous scripting languages as its mostly a chain of sequenced linedef actions. But like I said, I will document this stuff once the editor is ready for public release.

Thanks bro. So you say if i make this line i can "script" and it will fix this problem (kinda)?

Oh well, im just gunna try this now, and proably now im gunna go map =D

Oh kaiser one last question, how do i make like a batch of macros to work? Like for example i want this to happen:
1. When you hit a switch 3 barons spawn in caged rooms
2. Kill 3 barons
3. open a door which spawns a red key
4. When grabbed, spawns 5 imps and lower the red switch which opens a door
5. After All Dead, red switch raises back able to be pressed
6. after pressed the door opens

How do i do this? And if you have time, try to make a macro guide plz =P

RDMonkey said:

Oh kaiser one last question, how do i make like a batch of macros to work? Like for example i want this to happen:
1. When you hit a switch 3 barons spawn in caged rooms
2. Kill 3 barons
3. open a door which spawns a red key
4. When grabbed, spawns 5 imps and lower the red switch which opens a door
5. After All Dead, red switch raises back able to be pressed
6. after pressed the door opens

How do i do this? And if you have time, try to make a macro guide plz =P

Here is a test map that matches your description:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/20811216/RDMonkeyTest.wad

Heres the breakdown:

1. Three barons has the Spawner flag set. Spawner flag is to make them not appear at the beginning of the map.

2. Switch to the left of the player contains linetype 224 and is tagged to the three barons. This linetype will simply spawn the barons.

3. The three barons also has the 'Trigger On Death' flag set. This flag is used to trigger linedefs when all mobs with the matching TID are dead. In this case, there is a linedef with a tag of 1, which matches the TID of the three barons. This line also has the line flag: 'Triggered by Dead Thing'. This flag is to make sure that this line is triggered only by those three barons.

4. Macros are line types that ranges from 256 to 511. In this case, the line triggered by the barons is using a line type of 256. If you scroll to the macros tab, you'll see that the first batch opens the door and the second batch spawns the key. What this script does is that it will open the door, and then spawn the key AFTER the door has fully opened. The second batch will wait until everything is finished up in the first batch.

5. The key has a 'Triggered On Touch' flag, which will trigger a linedef that has a tag matching the key's TID.

6. The triggered line is also a macro, which uses linetype 257. This macro spawns the 5 imps and lowers the switch, preventing you from using it.

7. When imps are all dead, they trigger another linedef which is a macro and uses linetype 258. This macro will raise the switch by a user defined height of 64 units.

Just look at the map in the editor and things should become pretty obvious to you.