Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PainlessPole

Need help finding a specific editor

Okay, so I’ve looked at some of the “What’s the best DOOM level editor” threads, and they all seem to point to DOOMBuilder. However, I’m not impressed with how vague the question is as it stands, so here’s a list of what I’m specifically going to put in my WAD.
1. Custom wall/floor/ceiling textures, enemy sprites, SFX, ending sequence and HUDs.
2. Two special characters, whom I will refer to as Beavis and Butt-Head to avoid spoilers, who will be smaller than the main Doomguy, and can fit into ventilation shafts the Doomguy cannot. They must also be unable to wield any weapons or use certain pick-ups. They player will take control of one of these characters in certain levels.
3. Water dynamics: the player will come across certain water-filled areas, which means different things for different characters. The Doomguy can stay infinitely underwater, but his movement is hindered without a special power-up, and he can’t swim. Beavis and Butt-Head can swim without any special equipment, but they will each have a breath meter that limits how long they can stay underwater. When said meter is drained, they begin taking damage. One of them will have a longer breath meter than the other, and he will also move slower on land than in water.
4. Cutscenes that take place between certain levels.
5. Voice acting that is activated when the player passes a certain point in a level.
6. Subtitles for said voice acting.
7. Walls that are destroyed when the player approaches them or passes a certain point in a level, revealing monsters or whatnot.
8. The character’s HUD face must react when said walls are destroyed, specifically when monsters are revealed.
9. Kill, Item, and Secret percentages, as well as Clear Time at the end of each level.
10. A graphic between levels that shows where the player is, like the original DOOM.
11. A secret level that, upon being completed, influences future levels, replacing certain enemies with others or adding new enemies.
12. Switches that open secrets in the level after the one they’re activated in.
13. An autosave feature that saves weapons, health/armor, etc. at the end of each level.
14. Computer panels/book pages the player can click on to read.
I currently own a Windows 7 computer, but I plan on switching to a Mac, so I’d rather not have any compatibility issues and such. Also, this list is in no way definitive, as I'm sure I've forgotten something and will add it when I remember. Much thanks to those who help.

PainlessPole said:

I currently own a Windows 7 computer, but I plan on switching to a Mac, so I’d rather not have any compatibility issues and such. Much thanks to those who help.

Well, hope you're prepared to install Windows on your Mac as a second OS. I own an iMac and a MacBook Pro, and have a separate Windows partition on both of them for Doom stuff. There's been basically zero support for Doom editing on Mac since....at least 1998 or so.

As for what you want, look into Doom Builder 2 for map editing, SLumpEd for importing and inserting the other stuff, and use the ZDoom Wiki for reference where applicable in regard to the monsters and such you want to add. (Based on what you're looking for, you'll probably want to go with ZDoom.) If you have any more questions, post them here or on the zdoom.org forums and someone will probably be able to help out.

Doombuilder/Doombuilder 2 is a dedicated map creator/editor. It is designed to make maps, even though it does allow other functions such as scripting.

Many of the things you have listed here are not possible in Doombuilder, but neither are they possible in any map editor.
It sounds like you will want to make this for ZDoom probably, as most of what you have said should be possible with that engine.

To make the things you have suggested, you will need other tools/utilities, regardless of what map editor you use. At the very least, you will need:
-A lump editor such as Slumped/XWE.
-A picture editor such as paintshop/GIMP etc.

esselfortium said:

Well, hope you're prepared to install Windows on your Mac as a second OS.

How large should I make my partition? I was originally going to use a 50 GB partition, but that was when Windows was just going to be another game console.