Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

Project Vega: Cancelled

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Code

Doubtful.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

textures

I thought he used placeholder textures taken from Unreal or something? Not having enough artists to make original content was part of his problem.

Aw Jesus. Despite all my skeptical posts in that blog thread I was hoping he'd manage to put the game together and prove me wrong.

Maybe if he concentrated more on making an interesting game instead of a statement against modern titles, he would have had more luck. There's still a lot to be learned from games today.

I was honestly looking forward to this. I don't have an opinion on Carnevil as a person, but ... just ... damn.

EDIT: YOU CAN DO IT CARNY!

He's just whining like a little bitch about nothing. He can't have been trying very hard, since no one outside the Doom community (and hardly anyone in it either) has ever even heard of Project Vega/Last bastion. If you read the comments his excuses are just that. Excuses.

I feel for anyone who worked with him on this project.

I think he just got bored or wanted to stop working. Finding a publisher is just an excuse. This really should have been a side project and hopefully found some kind of online distribution or donation racket. Of course no solid copy distributer would pick this up. It's obsolete. I'm sure fun but not exactly something I'd see in EB.

Building a game with no real functional difference from Quake without a paid team of artists, mappers, or coders, in 2010? I mean, where's the commercial viability here?

Shaikoten said:

Building a game with no real functional difference from Quake without a paid team of artists, mappers, or coders, in 2010?

That sums it up perfectly.

I think Carn was most interested in making his own engine from scratch. He achieved that, with an editor as well, and I am honestly impressed.

But if he'd been interested in making an actual game, he would have saved a huge amount of time by using an existing engine, like Quake3.

Seems that if it's been canceled, I wonder if he'd make what was done free and open source (yeah, yeah, "this is the guy that made Skulltag" comments aside)... rather than letting it die off completely.

Reading that blog showed a project without vision. He built his engine and had no idea what he wanted to do with it the whole time. The game looks like Quake/UT, but that's all I could tell from it.

I'm one of the guys who had never heard of it before today.

Shaikoten said:

Building a game with no real functional difference from Quake without a paid team of artists, mappers, or coders, in 2010? I mean, where's the commercial viability here?

I'd buy it just because I've met the guy on IRC.

Patrick said:

I'd buy it just because I've met the guy on IRC.

I -wouldn't- buy it just because I've met the guy on IRC.

Creaphis said:

I'd say that the man needed a Romero to his Carmack but it almost seems too obvious a comparison.

I said that exact same thing earlier on irc

Honestly? I'm not going to shed any tears. None of the screenshots that I saw looked particularly impressive; it seemed like the technology was Quake 2 era stuff and the levels look bland and unimaginative.

Not that there's anything wrong with that as such. If it was just a "hobbyist" project to develop something for people to play for free on the Internet (like Cube) that would be fine, but I doubt many people would be willing to part with real money for it. On the other hand, if it had some kind of innovative new form of gameplay that made it interesting to play, people might be willing to pay for it, but it certainly doesn't seem like it even has that going for it.

Creaphis said:

I'd say that the man needed a Romero to his Carmack but it almost seems too obvious a comparison.

Honestly though, he's more like a Romero in temperament and personality, except he's more of a coder than a designer.

fraggle said:

On the other hand, if it had some kind of innovative new form of gameplay that made it interesting to play, people might be willing to pay for it, but it certainly doesn't seem like it even has that going for it.

This is probably the cornerstone of his failure; this could be a spiritual successor to System Shock, Dungeon Keeper or a 3D Dwarf Fortress. As an oldschool FPS, it could be highly experimental in its level design the way The Void currently is or Unreal was in its time. It could be more about exploration and puzzle-solving like The Dig or, to use 3D examples, the Penumbra series, Pathologic or Amnesia.

Even if you found people willing to pay for what essentially plays as a Doom TC in 2010, why would anyone fund this?

I wonder if he canceled the project simply to drum up sympathy from the
Doom Community. There is no fucking way he would cancel a game solely because of publishing issues.

Mr. Freeze said:

There is no fucking way he would cancel a game solely because of publishing issues.

Publishing issues == no money == serious trouble.

from what I've heard of carn ... he sounds like an interesting character. as far as I'm concerned, I hate to see something like this die, even if it isn't spectacular. He had a lot of good ideas in his announcement thread.