Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

What is Doom2 to you?

I think they only used d_bunny as the music in that map because you basicly hop around like a bunny most of the time in.

I guess the only problems I have with Doom 2 is the cheezy final boss and the Chasm.

Yeah, man, I didn't even enjoy that final boss. It was more of a "Let's see how many things we can make you do all at once"-type level, which I absolutely abhor. After the ass-load of levels you had to complete beforehand, I'd say that the final boss of DooM II sucked...righteously...

My only problem with it, was well... c'mon... it was a fucking wall.

I remember when I first beta doom2 it started talking about some huge ass demon larger than life, and I remember thinking "did I miss something? what demon? was that wall supposed to throw out some new boss?".

Personally, I think that Doom1's episode 1 had the best levels ever in an official Doom game, but Doom2's levels are definitely great. Tricks and Traps, anyone?

The new weapons and enemies are great, too. The Archvile can present some interesting situations. Do you hide from the flame attack that will kill you, or do you try to blast it to bits before it revives the Chaingunners you just killed? (I'm referring to a sequence in Alien Vendetta. I chose to introduce Archie to my rocket launcher. I was at 17% health.) The super shotgun is also interesting. Although not good at long range, most Doomers that I know personally almost always use it as their main weapons. I think it's a bit overpowered, but have you ever tried killing 4 Chaingunners at long range with it? It sucks at long range, so people can't use it ALL the time.

Almost all wads are made for Doom2 for a reason, too. First of all, Doom2 is (or was) easier to buy, so more people owned it. Second, anything that could be done in Doom1 can be done in Doom2, but not everything that Doom2 can do is possible with Doom1.

Finally, Doom2 has the single best deathmatch level ever made. If you have a few hours of spare time and a lot of patience, try getting a doom2.exe deathmatch going on map01. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how good it still is. (If you actually want to try this, I recommend using the IPX Gaming Zone at http://zone.msn.com/zonelan/)

A very important point that seems to arise here is: With Doom2 if the map is not well designed in terms of monster use/placement it can be a frustrating and disappointing play.

did you get 100% kills on it?

Well you can't get 100% kills on Plutonia map11, but even if you could... The point of that map is NOT to kill the archviles :) It becomes too easy if you kill them :P

Though I only finished it by killing all archviles and using IDDT :(

It had everything DOOM had...

That's true...

...plus more.

7 new (unimpressive) monsters, 1 new weapon, and 1 new power-up......[sarcasm]boy, that's really something![/sarcasm]

Unimpressive? WHAT YOU SAY

All the new monsters are cool, yeah, even the Pain Elemental. They're like a 2nd wave of monsters, technologically enhanced by the assimilation Hell did to those human outposts. The Archvile is by far the scariest enemy ever, and I tend to panic and loose control every time I hear their crescendo groan.

Unimpressive? WHAT YOU SAY

All the new monsters are cool, yeah, even the Pain Elemental. They're like a 2nd wave of monsters, technologically enhanced by the assimilation Hell did to those human outposts. The Archvile is by far the scariest enemy ever, and I tend to panic and loose control every time I hear their crescendo groan.

Definetely. I also find it impressive that they didn't really ruin doom's original balance at all, at least, with the supershotgun included as an equalizer.

Just looking at the 'balance' I noted above, I can tell ID put a little more work into doom 2 than a few of you might believe.

Chaingunner = Yay. Hooray. Another zombie to kill. BLAM! BLAM! It's dead. Oh goodie for me...a chaingun, which I already have.

Hell Knight = Uhhhhhhhh.....question: why make a weaker Baron of Hell type guy? 3 rockets? LET ME AT HIM!!!!!!

Pain Elemental = Lost soul comes out, BLAM! with the SSG. Wow, what a weapon....overflow the things buffer so that my framrate slows down. It's amazing you can't actually hurt me yourself. /me pulls out Plasma Rifle...you can't even stand that barrage??????

Aracnotron = Hey? Where's your mommy at? I see you got a green plasma gun. No matter, mine's only about 100 TIMES FASTER THAN YOURS! Ewwww, what a cybernetic mess. Piece of cake.

Revenant = Hi Mr. Bones. What have you got for me today? A few heat-seeking rockets? No problem, nothing that enough speed and a nearby wall corner could fix. Your lack of impressiveness is compenstated by your speed. Meh.

Mancubus = You not only look disgusting, but you make the elephant man seem handsome. But believe it or not, I've seen worse than you :) Are those fireballs supposed to scare me? Nah, about the only mess on the ground will be your carcass when I'm through with you. Could you be any slower? I could nail you with a BFG from a across the room, and the BFG is slow!

Arch-Vile = Sounds like you talk the talk, but barely walk the walk. Those flames, heh, a little lightness on my feet combined with a wall and you'll just make a burnmark in the wall. Me + BFG = KABLAM!!!! Damn, that's a weird noise you make. Who's shitting his pants now? :)

Confucious say:
"One who stand on toilet high on pot."
"Man who walk sideways in airport turns aisle going to Bangkok."

"He who farts in church must sit in own pew."
"Pilot who backs into propellor gets behind in work."

The Archvile is by far the scariest enemy ever, and I tend to panic and loose control every time I hear their crescendo groan.

Losing control doesn't even BEGIN to cover it...

OK so they're unimpressive because after years of playing DooM you can kill them without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

OK so they're unimpressive because after years of playing DooM you can kill them without breaking a sweat.

ZOMBIEMAN: Oh, look, a rifle, cute. It's only a small bruise to me, however, my shotgun will blow you into pieces :)

SHOTGUNNER: You're nothing compared to my fast feet and speeding chaingun! I'll kill you to get a shotgun... which I already have.

IMP: Toss those things a little faster, please? Am I too quick for you?

DEMON: Wow, look, he can bite! Well whoop-dee-do, a bit of backpedaling and a rocket in the face will take care of you!

SPECTRE: Oh, so being invisible is supposed to help you? Nothing my keen eye can't fix :)

LOST SOUL: Stopped in your tracks by my shotgun, eh?

CACODEMON: What, can't stand my rockets? Why don't you try dodging, like I do with your pussy lighting balls?

BARON: Strafe-shoot, strafe-shoot, strafe-shoot, try a little harder to hit me you red retard.

CYBERDEMON: Size doesn't matter here. You have rockets? I have rockets too you know. Can you strafe? No? Well... hehehe

SPIDERMIND: 1. Run up to spider. 2. Fire BFG. 3. Dead spider.

Wow, DOOM, what a crappy game.

Doom2 was te nthousand times better than doom1, not that it was a bad game, but doom2 was the first game to have FLOW, levels connected with each other and had PURPOSE. it was also more scary, and the final boss was HORRIFYING. Also, what other game can you mention where EVERY SINGLE SINGLE-PLAYER LEVEL IS ALSO A FANTASTIC DEATHMATCH LEVEL?!?!?!?!!? Please dont try and say quake2. MAYBE quake

Confucious say:
"One who stand on toilet high on pot."
"Man who walk sideways in airport turns aisle going to Bangkok."

"He who farts in church must sit in own pew."
"Pilot who backs into propellor gets behind in work."

"Baseball wrong: Man with four balls can't walk."

Virginity like bubble. One prick, all gone.
Takes many nails to make a crib. But only one screw to fill it.

but doom2 was the first game to have FLOW, levels connected with each other and had PURPOSE.

??????

Both DOOM and DOOM2 are good... about the same good. It's about your personal taste. Myself I prefer DOOM(1), mostly because of nostalgia, but also because I like base-style levels better than city-style (and that's not visually but layout-wise).

;-)

Jesus, even after all these years, those stupid ArchViles scare the living shit outta me. Especially when it's one of those times where you just happen to walk in the wrong place and walls all come down around you, and what's behind those walls? You guesses it - those damned 'assViles.' ::shudders:: Damn, it's killing me just thinking about it...

ZOMBIEMAN: Oh, look, a rifle, cute. It's only a small bruise to me, however, my shotgun will blow you into pieces :)

SHOTGUNNER: You're nothing compared to my fast feet and speeding chaingun! I'll kill you to get a shotgun... which I already have.

IMP: Toss those things a little faster, please? Am I too quick for you?

DEMON: Wow, look, he can bite! Well whoop-dee-do, a bit of backpedaling and a rocket in the face will take care of you!

SPECTRE: Oh, so being invisible is supposed to help you? Nothing my keen eye can't fix :)

LOST SOUL: Stopped in your tracks by my shotgun, eh?

CACODEMON: What, can't stand my rockets? Why don't you try dodging, like I do with your pussy lighting balls?

BARON: Strafe-shoot, strafe-shoot, strafe-shoot, try a little harder to hit me you red retard.

CYBERDEMON: Size doesn't matter here. You have rockets? I have rockets too you know. Can you strafe? No? Well... hehehe

SPIDERMIND: 1. Run up to spider. 2. Fire BFG. 3. Dead spider.

Wow, DOOM, what a crappy game.

Exactly. I was gonna post something similar.

Crendowing my man: if DOOM2 is so unimpressive to you, then DOOM must suck for you completely. You can't seriously tell that DOOM was more impressive than DOOM2 in any single aspect. The only thing which stands for DOOM is being first, and therefore creating more fuss, that's it.

did you get 100% kills on it?

Well you can't get 100% kills on Plutonia map11, but even if you could... The point of that map is NOT to kill the archviles :) It becomes too easy if you kill them :P

Though I only finished it by killing all archviles and using IDDT :(

I don't quite follow you here. I can't get 100% kills on Plutonia Map11? Why? I was just going to do so in a couple of months, when I get there, considering my playing speed.

doom2 was the first game to have FLOW, levels connected with each other and had PURPOSE.

Yes, I add some more questions marks to Zaldron's.

it was also more scary, and the final boss was HORRIFYING.

Overall DOOM2 was more scary, yes. What was the most horrifying thing in the Icon of Sin to you - the reversed phrase or the Revenant? To me it was the radiation shielding suit. Whenever I saw it standing there I felt an incredible urge to wet my pants. Shocking.

Also, what other game can you mention where EVERY SINGLE SINGLE-PLAYER LEVEL IS ALSO A FANTASTIC DEATHMATCH LEVEL?!?!?!?!!?

That's just not true. Some of the larger levels plainly suck for DM. I don't think I can ever get tired of telling the story of how 2 friends of mine setted up a 1-on-1 on MAP15, which ended _(-1) to (-2)...

for 1on1 some suck yes, but with 4 players even the biggest maps are awesome.

to me, doom1 seemed more like a tech demo, the level designers seemed more confident with doom2, and to me that game was more of a work of art

and the icon of sin? Maybe it was so far back you dont remember, but that level scared the fuc outta me.

I can't get 100% kills on Plutonia Map11? Why? I was just going to do so in a couple of months, when I get there, considering my playing speed.

Never mind. I just warped to that level and beat it from scratch (not something I normally do). I realize now why it's impossible to get 100% kills. Even if you could kill 'em fast enough I doubt that you'd want to do it.

P.S. Guess which teleporter I took.

it was also more scary, and the final boss was HORRIFYING.

Eh, the first impression I got (and I was eight or nine years old at the time) was "What the fuck??????"

Also, what other game can you mention where EVERY SINGLE SINGLE-PLAYER LEVEL IS ALSO A FANTASTIC DEATHMATCH LEVEL?!?!?!?!!?

Ugh, all of the Doom2 levels flat out SUCK for DM besides the first few and 7. They're either too big or too linear or something else is wrong with them.

Ugh, all of the Doom2 levels flat out SUCK for DM besides the first few and 7. They're either too big or too linear or something else is wrong with them.

As a rule I try to avoid deathmatching on any map made for single player, the same way I wouldn't play single player on a DM map.