Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nemark

Gameplay footage of Doom II for XBLA.

Nemark said:

Warning: the person playing in these videos is pretty bad at the game.

He gets a bit better after a while.

The levels seem architecturally well-made. I like the name of the achievement shown near the beginning. The random pitch are interesting I think; makes it sound more cacophonous and in this way maybe more hellish. The logo on the health items has changed, but that's not really new.

Hey not bad!

I spotted a couple unaligned textures, lighting effects not used effectively, and some details that looked like they could use impassible lines, but overall the look was pretty good. the hallways looked a little cramped for coop though.

The maps remind me a lot of my early maps (particularly the 'Play When Bored' series) except with a little extra sectors jammed in there. the gameplay looks pretty thorough too. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys were already familiar with doom mapping before they announced this. They seem to have a pretty good idea on making some decent maps despite the lackluster quality of Doom 2.

EDIT:

Also I want that interpic

And I think the pictures of the pills on the health kits look very lame. They should have just left it blank instead. plain and simple.

If someone wants I can try to make that first level based on what I can see in the video. He does a pretty good job looking around in the rooms, however it appears as though he didn't go everywhere he was allowed in, which could create some problems

Thanks for the link.

So this is what Doom looks like when not running... Boring.

As for the levels themselves... Let's just say I wouldn't be playing these two more than once if at all. Here's hoping it gets better.

I hope someone's able to convert the new episode to a PC format once the game is released. I'd like to play the new maps but I don't have a 360.

40oz said:

Hey not bad!

I spotted a couple unaligned textures, lighting effects not used effectively, and some details that looked like they could use impassible lines, but overall the look was pretty good. the hallways looked a little cramped for coop though.

The maps remind me a lot of my early maps (particularly the 'Play When Bored' series) except with a little extra sectors jammed in there. the gameplay looks pretty thorough too. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys were already familiar with doom mapping before they announced this. They seem to have a pretty good idea on making some decent maps despite the lackluster quality of Doom 2.

EDIT:

Also I want that interpic

And I think the pictures of the pills on the health kits look very lame. They should have just left it blank instead. plain and simple.

Carmack referenced this in his notes for Wolfenstein iPhone. Apparently, the International Red Cross doesn't allow game makers to use red crosses on their medkits anymore. WTF?

Am I the only one that noticed that in the first vid the shotgun guy in map02 is STILL stuck in the wall?

Mr. T said:

Carmack referenced this in his notes for Wolfenstein iPhone. Apparently, the International Red Cross doesn't allow game makers to use red crosses on their medkits anymore. WTF?

The Red Cross never allowed anyone to use their trademark, however many game makers took it into their own hands to use the cross as a universal symbol for "health pack".

The Red Cross is now concerned that having the logo in so many violent games could "erode the protective value" of the symbol in real-life warzones, and so have issued C&Ds in regards to their trademark.

Super Jamie said:

The Red Cross never allowed anyone to use their trademark, however many game makers took it into their own hands to use the cross as a universal symbol for "health pack".

The Red Cross is now concerned that having the logo in so many violent games could "erode the protective value" of the symbol in real-life warzones, and so have issued C&Ds in regards to their trademark.

I thought as much.

Yeah but a pill? I don't really applaud the use of using boxes and boxes of tylenols to ease the pain of getting fried by fireballs. I always imagined the medikits to contain bandages, alcohol pads and gauss. Ya know, stuff that might help heal an injury, not null the pain.

Things I noticed:

-Shotgun guy still stuck in MAP02
-Might just be my years of using ZDoom, but the imps' fireballs seemed quite dark.
-Player didn't make much use of running at all (perhaps console controls make the game harder?)
-New levels seem to use a nice architectural style that combines the simplicity of stock Doom and Doom 2 maps with more stairs, panelling and better (more uniform) texturing to create something that looked like KDiTD, but advanced and with Doom 2 stuff.
-SSG reload sound is different.
-Music is definitely in a better format than MIDI - sounds a little odd to me as a result though.
-New maps seem a lot more complicated and involved in terms of layout, with a lot of extra places to go and extra secrets.
-Difficulty in "The Pain Labs" looked pretty nice to me, even though that was only HNTR - I reckon UV would be a fun challenge there.
-Again, might be me using ZDoom for so long, but wasn't there a "secret is revealed" message and sound when he found that Berserk Pack in "The Earth Base"?

I'm hoping for a PC port of "No Rest for the Living!" at some point... preferably free :P

Phobus said:

-Shotgun guy still stuck in MAP02

If you mean the dude in the first room, this is intentional. It was felt the bars in v1.666 were too confusing to new players so they were removed, but the shotty guy was still blocked in that alcove to guard the switch.

If there's one somewhere else, that's snapping to the grid due to map changes after v1.666 and people not playtesting properly. I'd assume they're using a standard v1.9 IWAD plus the new levels.

I hope for a free PC port too, no doubt someone will rip it.

Also how badass is the new INTERPIC:

Phobus said:

-Again, might be me using ZDoom for so long, but wasn't there a "secret is revealed" message and sound when he found that Berserk Pack in "The Earth Base"?

It was an "achievement unlocked" message, presumably finding your first secret passage is an achievement. The name of this one? "An important looking door"! :D

boris said:

Videos don't show up for me.

it doesn't for me either, odds are they probably removed it. Since Doom 2 isn't even listed on the site at all it seems. And the Youtube video above doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: Actually the youtube video DOES works, my bad.

Super Jamie said:
If you mean the dude in the first room, this is intentional. It was felt the bars in v1.666 were too confusing to new players so they were removed, but the shotty guy was still blocked in that alcove to guard the switch.

Is that related to this or is there a linedef blocking him?

Phobus said:

-Player didn't make much use of running at all (perhaps console controls make the game harder?)

Doom 2 for XBLA appears at most to be derivative of Ultimate Doom for XBLA. I noticed all the same additional enhancements were perfectly intact, so I assume the controls are still the same. In Ultimate Doom for XBLA, The controls are a little weird. you have to hold down the left trigger to run, so if you wanna play like you're used to, you'll have to hold that button down the entire time you play. I'm not sure if there's an 'always run' option.

Phobus said:

-Might just be my years of using ZDoom, but the imps' fireballs seemed quite dark.

ZDoom uses additive translucency for the fireballs to make them more life-life. In Vanilla doom they are completely solid.

Phobus said:

Yes that's a zdoom-only thing again.

I kinda wish there was an option to remove those random pitch variations though, Hopefully doom 2 will have it. I found it to be extremely annoying, especially with the chaingun and plasma gun. And only some of the monster sounds sound good when varied. (DSPODTH3 sounds pretty cool when the pitch is kicked up a few notches)

So... there's gameplay footage of the new levels? The website itself doesn't seem to be working properly (there's nothing under "videos & trailers") and the YouTube link only shows video footage of someone sucking at the original maps.

AgentSpork said:

So... there's gameplay footage of the new levels?

Yes. Had to enable scripts for a few things on that XBox site, then download it. It stubbornly refused to play.

I agree with 40oz, the new INTERPIC is badass.
Also,like some people around here, I'm hoping for a free PC port of "No Rest for the Living!" episode.

Philnemba said:

Also,like some people around here, I'm hoping for a free PC port of "No Rest for the Living!" episode.

Free? I wouldn't mind paying for a yet an other official episode.