Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

Google Buzz

Google is just trying to become the dictator of the internet. I've mostly stopped using their shit because of their inability to program stable web apps and things like this

I'm glad I didn't even notice this in gmail. I don't think it even shows up if you use the "basic html" view in gmail.

OMG, some of you are still using Google products?

Isn't it clear by now that they are utterly non-benign and have a kind of sense of entitlement? i.e. "Everyone trusts us and we're such a nice company that we don't need to adhere to any standards of common decency. Or laws."

Altavista (for instance) will deliver all your search needs without as much BS.

Grazza said:

OMG, some of you are still using Google products?

Isn't it clear by now that they are utterly non-benign and have a kind of sense of entitlement? i.e. "Everyone trusts us and we're such a nice company that we don't need to adhere to any standards of common decency. Or laws."

Altavista (for instance) will deliver all your search needs without as much BS.

I used them back before I knew how malicious/stupid they were and now I'm trying to switch all my shit to different companies.

Here's another thing I don't get: why does everyone love Google chrome? It's just basically a poor-man's Safari, only worse. It's supposed to be the most optimized browser available, but the only optimization I see is the fact that they combined the Google search bar with the address bar. Yeah, real revolutionary.

Plus, the browser always gave me issues. It tended to crash on a regular basis, had trouble displaying webpages, and would even have trouble playing .GIF files (I'm serious). I used it for a while and I was so shocked and disgusted at how awful it was that I switched back to Firefox, which is equally as shitty.

Yknow, Google is evil and is going to take over the world; or Google is good but then takes over the world and goes evil from Corruption.

Anyway, isn't this kind of bad? I mean if you know where a person is posting from live, you can walk over to them and shoot/rob/mug/rape/murder/greet them. Sure, it might be cool but it might cause problems in the future. Maybe Google is get a seat in NATO and the UN and start the New World Order.

Chrome is one Google thing I'm not a fan of. I try it out from time to time but Webkit font rendering gives me a headache.

You can choose not to post your location in a Buzz, so it just appears on your feed. You can also mark a Buzz as private, so only your followers can see it.

[compactSprue] said:
Here's another thing I don't get: why does everyone love Google chrome? It's just basically a poor-man's Safari, only worse.

I really do not know what you're talking about. Chrome is easily the best browser I've ever tried, and that emphatically includes Safari, which is my backup browser. Everything about Chrome tells me it was designed based on actual browsing habits, rather than by commitee or abstract principles. The steel-finish aesthetics of Safari are enough to put me off, not to speak of obfuscated bookmarking.

The best feature of Chrome though, is being able to type whatever you want in the search bar. If it's not a valid web address, you get results in Google. Just made sure it doesn't do that in Safari -- confirmed. Safari has a separate search bar, which is clearly superfluous.

icedigger said:

The best feature of Chrome though, is being able to type whatever you want in the search bar. If it's not a valid web address, you get results in Google.

I wonder if they pinched that idea from OpenDNS - which does likewise whenever I mistype an address in Firefox.

icedigger said:

The best feature of Chrome though, is being able to type whatever you want in the search bar. If it's not a valid web address, you get results in Google. Just made sure it doesn't do that in Safari -- confirmed. Safari has a separate search bar, which is clearly superfluous.

That's what Google is good at: taking someone else's idea, adding nothing and rearranging it to make it look "simple". All Google did with that browser is remove the bottom status bar, remove the File, Edit, View, and help menus while taking the two address bars at the top and combine them into one. Bingo, best browser in the world, even though it lacks almost all of the functionality that other browsers offer, it is still considered better in most cases.

[compactSprue] said:
adding nothing

To Google's credit, they did invent the idea of per-process tabs. So if one tab fucks up and dies it doesn't crash your whole browser. If Firefox implemented that I would be happier than a pig in mud!

Super Jamie said:

To Google's credit, they did invent the idea of per-process tabs. So if one tab fucks up and dies it doesn't crash your whole browser

And if you open more than a half-dozen tabs open at a time, all these processes become a memory hog far worse than Firefox.

GhostlyDeath said:
if you know where a person is posting from live, you can walk over to them and shoot them.

Wow, that would be great! I've been wanting to be able to do this since I started using the internet! maybe they'll link it up to a hitman service so I don't even have to get out of my chair!

Maybe Google is get a seat in NATO and the UN and start the New World Order.

Oh puh-leez. Why the fuck would they do that when they can just launch the googlesphere into orbit and rule over the earth from spaaaaaaaaace

What Google would have to do is convince the terrorists of the world to use this so we can track them and see what they are doing.

Gez said:

And if you open more than a half-dozen tabs open at a time, all these processes become a memory hog far worse than Firefox.

methinks you don't know what "shared memory" is.