Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

lol "racism"

Or they are just abusing today's P.C. way of saying "We AZNs got you by the balls. Today the name of your lines, tomorrow we'll sweatshop your ass in the name of P.C."

Every little penny counts. AMERICA, STAND VIGIL!

At first this may indeed seem ludicrous.

But now think a little how this would probably develop. I certainly can't dismiss some not so nice things that might have come out of that name...

I come from a country that still produced blackface movies in the late 80s, and where jokes such as "By washing your Nigger, you're just wasting your Jew" are guaranteed to make everyone laugh. So heh.

I went into this thread expecting to post a wall of text about how absurd this reverse racism is, but it all sounds like some dumbass group to me, so when I have access to something besides a cell phone, I'll make a thread about it.

Graf Zahl said:

At first this may indeed seem ludicrous.

But now think a little how this would probably develop. I certainly can't dismiss some not so nice things that might have come out of that name...

drop of property prices in the vicinity of the yellow line, influx of asian immigrants, gang violence, murder of clint eastwood. think of clint eastwood when you criticize pc abuse.

Oddly enough, I can see why they might be offended by this. And I could see how a train line that goes into a black neighborhood called the Black Line could be offensive, or a hispanic neighborhood called the Brown Line could be offensive. But oddly enough, I wouldn't be offended by a train line called the White Line. It must be extremely stressful to be butthurt all the time. Their argument seems rather ridiculous since out of all non-European descended Americans, Asians probably garner the most respect and undergo the least racism. 1940s relocation camps aside. In any case, I don't think they have the right to be upset, lines in most major cities are named by color, and the fact that Tokyo has a Yellow Line makes me think they just like being outraged at things.

And gold is not a primary color, thus defeating the simplicity of the labeling system. "We object to the line leading to our neighborhood being called the 'white line', we're more of a beige."

And another thought, wouldn't gold be offensive to Chinese Americans due to it's connection with the almost slavery conditions they suffered while building the east-west railroad so we could mine gold? But no, logic has no place in an argument with people who will be pissed off no matter what.

Jello said:

Oddly enough, I wouldn't be offended by a train line called the White Line.

That's because white's have never been oppressed and have always been the one oppressing (red, brown, black, yellow, flaminco etc.)

Hellbent said:

That's because white's have never been oppressed and have always been the one oppressing (red, brown, black, yellow, flaminco etc.)

White's what?

White's what???

Jello said:

I wouldn't be offended by a train line called the White Line.

And now ask yourself:

If you were living in a city which was predominantly inhabited by black people with whites only living in certain areas. How about a 'white line' then? It might quickly become offensive, too.

There's some commie wanker in Japan called Arudo Debito, who was banging on* about some video he saw on TV where a mock ice-hockey match was enacted between a "Japanese" team and a "White" team which was Japanese people wearing big comedy noses and blonde wigs. Ending his message with "I depair, i really do".

Really? I'd piss myself.

*Disclaimer - i might end up living in Japan, for real reasons not otaku ones of "lol i wanna make annie-mayz", and his (crappily designed) site does have a bit of useful information in amongst all the Benjamin Zephiniah-esque whinging. Though the Michael Moore-esque whinging is also good comedy.

Hellbent said:

The mere fact that they restrict their resentment about colonialism/slavery/whatever to a particular race of people (while) instead of being more specific vs particular nations or empires of the past (e.g. British and French empire, Spain, the Dutch and what have you) makes them, ironically, as superficial and stereotyping as the "racists" they perceive around them.

Greeks are white too, and none of us would feel any guilt whatsoever about the suffering of even the most mistreated people of Africa, simply because we had nothing to do with it, historically. However I guess it's easier to lobby vs a race than vs the State, which could be considered unpatriotic or even treason. There are exceptions ofc e.g. the Jews ask reparations from the modern state of Germany, and not from "the Aryan race", and Libyans resent towards Italians specifically because of recent history.

Only that in these cases, the lobbying comes externally from the lobbied country. They sure as hell wouldn't place e.g. the Simon Wiesenthal Center in the middle of Berlin, even today. Or even anywhere near Texas or Milwaukee.

Everyone does whatever is more practical: just like those Korean lobbyists play the racism card to avoid unpatriotic insinuations, Jews play the "Germany" card because they know they wouldn't get a dime from some racist redneck white trash rebel listening to "Jew Slaughter" in his trailer park. Let's pressure the German state for uhm...Eternity instead. Same thing with blacks: it's a bit hard to find the East Indies Company today...so let's call it "black civil rights struggle" and see if we can make a quick buck out of it. Yeah.

Graf Zahl said:

If you were living in a city which was predominantly inhabited by black people with whites only living in certain areas. How about a 'white line' then? It might quickly become offensive, too.

Johannesburg, South Africa just a couple of decades ago :-p

Maes said:

Johannesburg, South Africa just a couple of decades ago :-p

Well, for obvioud reasons that doesn't count...

Hellbent said:

That's because white's have never been oppressed

False. Everybody has oppressed everyone else whenever they could get E.g., the Ainu in Japan. For a number of reasons that have more to do with geography than with culture or biology, European country got to become military "superpowers", leading them to be able to go all over the world during the Age of Sail, colonizing left and right. However: non-whites have oppressed other non-whites, and whites have oppressed whites. E.g., until relatively recently, historically speaking, there were anti-French laws in Maine. Or Catholics have been second-rate citizens in Great Britain until 1832. The triangular slave trade was only possible because African tribes raided others to take slaves and sell them; a practice they had started long before for their Arab customers or for yet other African tribes. The Huns and the Mongols have been real darlings to everybody they invaded, European or Asian. The Japaneses have mistreated the Koreans and the Chinese; the Chinese themselves are diverse enough to have oppressed the fuck out of each other in turns. And so on. So, spare me the "whitey bad, colored poor victims" bullshit. We're all humans, no better or worse than the others; and yes there have been cases of non-white oppression of whites.

Also, to give a more recent example: Zimbabwe.

Hellbent said:

Right, because the South African government taking farms owned by white people and giving them to Africans who ran them into the ground, and the murder of white farm owners doesn't count as oppression. In America, no, in other areas, yes. Besides, oppression doesn't matter, the original decision was based on using colors to label transit lines.

This move done by the city is just downright retarded...have people become such soft, insensitive pussies all of a sudden?

Hellbent said:

Grammatical errors indicating possessives aside, do you consider Italians or Irish white? If so, you might want to read about early 1900s America

Jello said:

Right, because the South African government taking farms owned by white people and giving them to Africans who ran them into the ground, and the murder of white farm owners doesn't count as oppression. In America, no, in other areas, yes. Besides, oppression doesn't matter, the original decision was based on using colors to label transit lines.

Wrong country, man. You're thinking of Zimbabwe. The whites in South Africa are still on average quite a bit more well off than the blacks.

This whole thing is crap. Freedom from being offended is not in anybody's constitution. Since it wasn't any case of discrimination they should shut the fuck up or get the fuck out. Same goes for disabled people. If I catch a fellow half-blind man bitching about blind jokes I'm not going to treat him very well.

Mr. Chris said:

This move done by the city is just downright retarded...have people become such soft, insensitive pussies all of a sudden?

Looking at how Maddox still has internet, we have hope.

EDIT: I suppose we'll just wait until Dr. Manhattan, the Na'Vi from Avatar, and the Blue Man Group take offense to the "Blue Line"