Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frader

Hell Commander - Doom based RTS (new video!)

I think the "infighting" thing is already sorted out in that the game pits two forces of hell against eachother. I can imagine that making monsters infight and watching as more and more monsters keep getting hooked into the infighting thing that was caused by a rogue missile can turn your average peaceful nerd into a raging militant cave man (Doomguy) that smashes and kills everything around him. Someone above me probably beat me to saying this though.

On another note, this looks awesome! Can't wait to see what this turns into!

A+ heheh

Frader said:

I had also considered the idea of making two "races" (demons and marines). But at the end, two things made me decide to focus on making just the demons at least for now. The first one is that there's a lot of work involved in balancing two different races. And the second one is that the marines models I've got all look pretty much the same. So why not imagine there are many demon factions competing to control humanity? They're demons after all, and should be greedy :P

The marines need not all be infantry. You could give them armored vehicles, artillery pieces, stationary emplacements, and even robots.

This looks pretty sweet! The thing I keep thinking of while watching the videos though is: What if you could make something like this a hybrid RTS/FPS? You could have the demons on one team playing the game as a RTS building up their hordes, while having the marine team playing in a traditional Doom FPS mode against them. Probably not the type of idea you are looking for, but it crossed my mind and seemed like a cool idea.

Woolie Wool said:

The marines need not all be infantry. You could give them armored vehicles, artillery pieces, stationary emplacements, and even robots.

Then you could just add a third race and call it Starcraft. :D

Kyka said:

Then you could just add a third race and call it Starcraft. :D

Hahaha, yea. I'm happy to see you all have many ideas, and most of them sound quite interesting. But at the end of the day I think I'm going to stick to the plan I already explained. The player will play a unique race (the demons) and will fight other players and UAC forces to control all the buildings on the map.

One could argue that it could be even better if you had several races to choose from. But I have a simple philosophy: quality over quantity. I'd rather finish a good game than have a hundred awesome ideas in development.

Anyway I feel the gameplay will capture the essence of the original games with the fight between demons and humans. At the same time there are a few things that I hope will bring that little originality which is always nice. I haven't seen any RTS in which you need to possess buildings instead of building them. Or a game where ranged units need "line of sight" in order to shoot their targets, which in turn can evade the hit just by moving aside.

I'll end by leaving you a teaser. I just added Lost Souls to the game, which means i have both melee and ranged behaviours implemented already. Now, i'm planning on reading an units stats from a text file (probably in XML). This way it'll be pretty easy to balance the game, just by editing a file with notepad. You'll be able to change almost everything: from the speed a unit moves, to the damage it deals, or the precision at which it throws its fireballs. So, you can already look forward to tunning that if you're interested in this kind of stuff ^^

I know this may sound dumb, but is there any plan for a possible campaign? It could be something like... The demons detect the experiments the humans are doing with portals (heh) as well as their advanced technology and they decide to attack the Phobos/Deimos installations to increase their strenght (this would explain the creation of Mancubi or Arachnotrons for example, mixing demon flesh and human technology). However after a while, although the invasion is far from over, some of hell demons decide to turn against the Spider Mastermind who's behind the invasion because of whatever reason... Some of the (early) missions would involve using already-placed units to take over the first UAC outposts, defending the first Icon of Sin from human attacks, etc. This, of course, is just an idea.

Anyway, looks very good.

Man, you've bumped quite an old topic :P Take a look at this topic. You'll find a playable Alpha version of the game ;)

On a side note, I'm not planning on making any campaign as that would require AI controlled opponents. And that is a very complex subject.

Just throwing some ideas on a possible UAC faction...
It'd be radically different from the demons of course, you'd have to build stuff and such. Like... build Refineries and Containment Areas for money (that of course generate damaging nukage into the surrounding areas), research tech upgrades from Labs and build guys from Military Bases. Maybe have Anomalies as an optional building that has a chance to yield powerful technologies but might summon demons and turn your men into zombies in the process.

Marines could be customizable with "classes" like gunner, engineer, demolitions man and such. You could give them better armor and health implants with the cost of money and increased production time. So for example you might not want to give heavy gunners much armor because they'll be in the back pumping rockets.