Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ezxariarch

Can or how do i ADD a custom weapon to Zdoom or use monster attacks?

Hey i got Skull Tag a month ago (BEST BOTS EVER!!!!) and i noticed they added weapons (grenade launcher and Rail-gun) that didn't replace the original 9 to their wad. I was wonder..can i add guns to Zdoom too? OR how can i make a gun that uses attacks of monsters.

Ex. I want to make a gun that shots two mancubus fireballs. Or a homing thing of the revenant. I can change the sprite of it but it doesnt do anything other than make it look diferent. And changin the code pointers of the shooting frames doesnt do anything (the guns dont fire). So can some one help me?

NOTE: IM NOT PLANNING TO USE EDGE..its highly annoying.

...And changin the code pointers of the shooting frames doesnt do anything (the guns dont fire).

You're lucky. Changing weapon frames to use monster attacks usually makes the game crash (as does giving monsters player weapon code pointers)

In short, the answer to your questions is no.

You can mess around with weapons, eg make a weapon fire say 10 simultaneous pistol shots to simulate a sniper rifle (by using 10 frames with duration 0). You can use the Zdoom railgun bex code pointers (an example bex file should have come with Zdoom) and you can mess around with firing rates, and missile properties. With a bit of cunning, you can make the weapons behave quite differently to the originals, but they will still be using the original weapon code pointers.

Using dehacked, you cannot add extra weapons that leave the originals untouched, and you cannot give weapons monster attack pointers. At the moment, EDGE does seem to be the best port for creating your own weapons.

Randy Heit has talked about adding a scripting language to Zdoom (called doomscript), similar in operation to unrealscript. If this is all it is rumoured to be, then the things you want should be possible with it.

Doomscript will not be available in Zdoom 1.23, but it seems Randy will be working on it for the version after that.

NOTE: IM NOT PLANNING TO USE EDGE..its highly annoying.

What do you mean by that? I just created 8 new monsters, that use the existing sprites, and diffrent attacks. It took about 2 hours, which i think is pretty good cause i've never edited DDF's before.
I have never understood dehacked's code pointer editing...