Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

I just got my 11 year old brother to play

My younger brother tends to mess around with whatever game I'm currently playing, but he usually just cheats for weapons, god mode, etc. But I'm pleased to report that, after a few months' pressuring, I've finally gotten him to play Doom 1 on I'm too young to die. He's gotten up to MAP5, and I'm pretty confident that he will beat the episode.

I retain hope for future generations.

I wonder if my 18 year old brother will try it on his Xbox 360..he's too enveloped in that crap called Modern Warfare 2.

Mr. Chris said:

I wonder if my 18 year old brother will try it on his Xbox 360..he's too enveloped in that crap called Modern Warfare 2.

My 16 year old brother plays that game like it's his job. My slightly older 18 year old brother I have a little more hope for. He has a 360 and he said he would probably get Doom 2 for it when it comes out. I hope he does because I want to play it. I believe consoles are a giant money pit and you're better off shoveling your money into a fire pit. 60 dollars for rehashed games for a system that is basically a cheap PC? No thanks. So needless to say I will never buy one.

The 18 year old also stole my Doom 2 disc for pc out of my collection a while back. Normally I'd be rip**** about it because it's my collection, but I didn't get mad because he was just interested. I guess he was interested but probably deterred because you obviously can't install it, I should probably lead him towards modern source ports.

Most of my friends are COD junkies. I got some of them to buy doom on their xbox 360 but all I got in return was "wtf this is shit its all flat and your guy keeps holding the weapon in front of him like its a dildo and theres no jumping or hiding behind things or... ETC" The only good comment I got was that the BFG being called the "Big Fucking Gun" was kinda cool.

They dont appreciate the fun factor of the game or realise that it was the COD when it first came out...

I just got my 16-year-old nephew back into the game. He was always a fan from a young age, but now that he has access to a decent PC he's got back into it, not least in part to my introducing him to the delights of ZDoom. Now he wants Doom Builder. Result, methinks...

I've forced my boyfriend to play through co-op with me for all three Doom 1 episodes.

And I told him that he was going to have fun or I'd strike him.

Two weeks later, he asked to borrow my Doom 2 disk =)

I recently beat all three Doom episodes on UV.

Next stop, Hell on Earth, then Thy Flesh consumed.

I got to MAP09 in Doom II on UV.

I once tried to teach my 12 year-old brother (now 13) how to map. He was into it for a couple days, He made a couple rooms with crates in them, nothing more though. Not much later he gave into playing with garry's mod and found that to be way more fun :(((

40oz said:

I once tried to teach my 12 year-old brother (now 13) how to map. He was into it for a couple days, He made a couple rooms with crates in them, nothing more though. Not much later he gave into playing with garry's mod and found that to be way more fun :(((

I won't lie. Garry's Mod sounds pretty damn fun, but it wouldn't make me stop experimenting with DB.

I'm gonna try to get my little half-sisters to play Doom. My oldest one (in the 5th grade) enjoys watching me play Alien vs Predator 2. She finds it funny when I kill people. There's hope!

Well done. I can't get my older brother or in fact, anyone at all to even remotely play doom, or my doom maps even. :/

Or I just play too much to consider their remotely playing doom sometimes as actual playing time.

My brother-in-law has been trying to get my nephew into FPS games. He's 8 years old and already a pretty hardcore gamer; he'll get involved in a game, beat it multiple times for the extra stuff, and go online to look for cheats.

Strangely enough, he doesn't like violence, so Doom didn't go over too well.

I can get my 14 year old brother to play the original (and still the greatest) Half-Life, but anything before that absolutely frightens him. The guy doesn't play many shooters aside from Halo, so the frantic action of Quake and the high skill curve of Team Fortress is a bit jarring of a transition for him. He finds Wolfenstein 3D monotonous, and can't adapt to the interface in the original System Shock.

Doom, however? He loves it. Sometimes when he's bored and I'm not using the computer (seldom a frequent occasion), he asks if he can play for a bit. I've also managed to coax him into testing my maps (the ill-fated ones you never get to see up on this site) from time to time.

What happened to the Wolfenstein 3D modders? Perhaps Doom's technological advances just seemed unanimously superior, so almost everybody moved on (although to the folks at Diehard Wolfers, I salute you!). The remainder of the Quake 1 community primarily emphasizes multiplayer competition, with new single player modifications and actual mapping being completely unheard of. I suppose between Q2/Q3A/QL, the fanbase was heavily fragmented. It's not like Doom (and Doom 2) where no "sequel" has yet to actually dethrone it and take away from the fanbase.

Overall, I'd say Doom just has its own groundbreaking and revolutionary feel to it - its appeal is not limited by age, just because it's such a major part of our subculture...oh, and I suppose it being thrown up on the XBLA and the Doom 3/Doom iPhone port hype also helps to bring fresh blood into the community.

Krispavera said:

When I was 11 I was tearing through Doom 2 on UV. I thought kids were good at video games?

Not only this, but many games back in the olden times were very difficult and unforgiving: Contra, Ghosts and Goblins, every Megaman game outside of #2, Castlevania games... I was UNDER ten when I played these games. I remember it being a freakin' miracle when I get to the third level of Ghosts and Goblins. Kids have it easy these days. There are no more games with limited continues, annoying passwords to plug in, and so on.

I'm pretty lucky to have a brother who will play pretty much any game going. Infact he is probably a bigger nerd than most of you lot and your beards and band t-shirts put together.

When I was 11 I was tearing* through Wolf3d on Bring 'em on...on a 286 while baffled as to why Doom shareware wouldn't run on it.

*(only if played on the smallest screen size!)

I've always played Doom since I was five, by eight I was supreme at Doom1 on Hurt Me Plenty. All the people I know are CODfags who don't play doom because it's probably too hard for them.

hobomaster22 said:

My 16 year old brother plays that game like it's his job. My slightly older 18 year old brother I have a little more hope for. He has a 360 and he said he would probably get Doom 2 for it when it comes out. I hope he does because I want to play it. I believe consoles are a giant money pit and you're better off shoveling your money into a fire pit. 60 dollars for rehashed games for a system that is basically a cheap PC? No thanks. So needless to say I will never buy one.

The most recent console I have is a DSi. I also own a Sega Saturn, an N64, and a broken XBox 1. I don't really see a need or console gaming besides local multiplayer or Goldeneye. If anything, I should be getting shit on my DSi, like DSDoom and every Boom-compatible WAD.

The 18 year old also stole my Doom 2 disc for pc out of my collection a while back. Normally I'd be rip**** about it because it's my collection, but I didn't get mad because he was just interested. I guess he was interested but probably deterred because you obviously can't install it, I should probably lead him towards modern source ports.

For modding:
ZDoom and Skulltag.

For OMG SUPAR GRAFIX:
Doomsday

That's the jist of the scene for him. I'd point him to Skulltag if he wants multiplayer and better graphics than just ZDoom (though ZDoom is capable of high resolutions, so it should look sharper on any screen than vanilla/chocolate).

My Little bro (6) Plays DooM in Not too Rough, My big bro (16) playys in Hurt me plenty, and i (13) Play in UV.

My only doom-related experience with a relative was with my (very slightly) younger brother. Some summer i brought my SNES with all the games to the countryhouse where we stayed together for the time, but we couldn't plug the console into the TV properly, resulting in a lot of noise on the screen, which rendered Doom unplayable. Then, while he was in the outhouse, i somehow adjusted the plug, and ran to him screaming that we can play Doom now. So we beat the first episode on the first difficulty, and the second and third on HMP (since we sucked and always chose the lowest allowed difficulty back then) in one sitting. By the end of it he was getting jumpy just because of the Limbo's music, and it got pretty surreal. We went outside and saw a red painted barrel which is used to collect rain water from the roof, and i couldn't get it out of my head that i needed a red key to explode it.

Meh! My kids were co-opping through Doom and DMing when they were still in primary school. My son released his first (and only to date) level to idgames when he was 12 and has just spent some of his "hard earned" MS points to take time out from CoD6 to get a copy of Duke Nukem 3D for the X-Box360.

my little brother and I just kicked Doom 64's ass last night taking turns. got upto the hell levels before we got distracted by the fact that Duke64 has coop :D

I love my N64.

EDIT: holy shit, I wish enjay was my dad :P