Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myk

Deus Vult and Deus Vult 2 demos [-complevel 9]

Ancalagon said:

txt says "UV Max/Reality", i wish that's real but this is speed.
And no luck with the other demo, riz? :P

Ick, forgot to change that. No, not yet D:

oh, nice!!!, you finally finished this :D
Demo is fantastic, really, it is -fast and faster than the max by belial, and that max is already good

Ancalagon said:

dv map02 max in 17:40
yes!

Now that's a real demonstration. Bloody good! Shame thing that playing this aggressive/strategy is pretty much inhumanly impossible with the -fast option tackled on.

Ancalagon said:

dv map02 max in 17:40
yes!
edit: it had an extra...

Someone finally had the courage to wake up all of those demons early. Good stuff.

1ntru said:

pretty much inhumanly impossible with the -fast option tackled on.

Liked the inhumanly impossible part

Very good stuff with the 02 -fast.

Highly sceptical if I should even continue with my attempts (last one three weeks ago) as I'm not really sure of my route past the first 20 seconds anyway, the bar glide pretty much ruining a decent time with the old route, and besides having a lot of other stuff going on, I have that other precious DOOM project going on which I'm not going to spoil here.

In other words, awesome job, I'm gonna let DV go for a while... (not that I haven't been idling for the past year or so anyway)

Hopefully I will be back in this thread with the DV229max.dem as I sort of promised earlier. And Doom Marine, take your time, if I do the max, it will be on whatever version available at that time. You upgrade the wad, I upgrade the demo. At least I sincerely hope that I will...

Great dv02 there, masterful movement. This frantic and unforgiving map looks so safe in your demo it's hard to believe. I've even tried to play myself after watching, just to see if my memory is playing tricks on me... was a relief to realize it isn't (I died like 20 times in 3 minutes).

Cool idea with the revenant curve and congrats with another NM achievement for DV. Huy should probably edit his statements about NM out of dv.txt finally :)

jongo said:

Cool idea with the revenant curve and congrats with another NM achievement for DV. Huy should probably edit his statements about NM out of dv.txt finally :)

Hehe thank you sir.

I suppose he didn't take into account the possibility that someone might be as crazy as me to spend so much time combining various tricks and perfecting every little route detail and having the tenacity to get it all right in one single recording. :D

I do have to say that this approach has its virtues, namely being able to practice and test stuff outside the "-record" parameter, making the actual recording process take less time and less restarts. The downside is doing that research takes time.
I have been trying maps 01 and 04 in NM but have been unable to crack them. Map04 is actually most likely impossible without TAS.

z0diac said:

I have been trying maps 01 and 04 in NM but have been unable to crack them.

Which parts in MAP01 are giving you trouble?

EDIT: I just watched your latest MAP03 runs. Regarding the attempted (and intentionally failed?) glide in your nightmare pacifist run, you'll have much better luck gliding through the gap on the left side of the bars instead of the right side. The reason for this and many other gems of speculation are hidden somewhere inside this thread.

As for your 100% secrets demo, it's quite possible to shoot rockets down into the revenant crescent from the insides of the doors without suffering splash damage. There are no sound blocking lines around this door so I have no idea why you're torturing yourself like this, opening the door from the outside every few seconds and blasting yourself in the face when it closes. I also don't understand why you do this at all; considering that you're invulnerable when you re-enter the crescent, and considering that there are a huge number of active revenants in the crescent even after all your trouble.

Creaphis said:

Which parts in MAP01 are giving you trouble?

After releasing the five cybers at the looooong lift near the end it gets very tough. I have experimented with some tactics but nothing promising thus far.

Creaphis said:

EDIT: I just watched your latest MAP03 runs. Regarding the attempted (and intentionally failed?) glide in your nightmare pacifist run, you'll have much better luck gliding through the gap on the left side of the bars instead of the right side. The reason for this and many other gems of speculation are hidden somewhere inside this thread.

That was just me messing around with nothing better to do. I wouldn't wanna spend another two minutes staring at various paintings. :)
The glide would serve little purpose anyway, as every second on the invulnerability counts when entering the revenant curve. In other words, taking the invulnerability and gliding the bars is not fool-proof enough.
If optimizing the route, then sure, but at this stage I'm all for getting the job done in the first place.

You're probably right about the left side, I haven't been able to glide the right side to this date.

Creaphis said:

As for your 100% secrets demo, it's quite possible to shoot rockets down into the revenant crescent from the insides of the doors without suffering splash damage. There are no sound blocking lines around this door so I have no idea why you're torturing yourself like this, opening the door from the outside every few seconds and blasting yourself in the face when it closes. I also don't understand why you do this at all; considering that you're invulnerable when you re-enter the crescent, and considering that there are a huge number of active revenants in the crescent even after all your trouble.

Note that entering the room above the curve seals you there, the doors aren't openable from the inside. That's why you have to stay outside. Staying on the doorway is no good either as your rockets explode without inflicting damage to the mobs down below.
I did have a fairly reasonable approach to the rocket spam, i.e. three rockets, wait, three rockets, double-use door, repeat. I was just a little nervous and not patient enough to find the exact spot so I took two hits. There's some spare health to go around though.

Trust me, after trying to just ram the huge number of revenants blocking the path, it's better to kill some of them so they spawn dormant on the curve so they aren't in your way. Then you just kill the ones right in your face and get to the switch as soon as possible. In my run I did have a very good outcome with this.
Trying to go the speedy way most likely doesn't give one enough time with the invulnerability to survive back to the lift. You can try, but I just wouldn't bother. :)

edit:
Or, now that I think about it, you could use your pacifist route and do an archvile-jump after getting the invulnerability to bypass the red bars altogether. That's not something I'm going to do, but it came to mind.

edit2: revenant jump... sounds reasonable...

z0diac said:

After releasing the five cybers at the looooong lift near the end it gets very tough. I have experimented with some tactics but nothing promising thus far.

I might be of some use to you then. In my old DV MAP01 UV speed demo I used some tricks that I never explained properly in the text file or any posts. The reason that the cyberdemons don't teleport in at the end isn't because of any clever pacifist tricks, but simply because I'm standing on their teleport destination so that they can't teleport in. I also make sure to alert the monsters in the nearby teleport trap early enough so that the horde of demons can cover the teleport destination while I'm riding the lift upwards. This is a difficult trick though. Even if executed perfectly (ie. you run from the line that activates the cyberdemon trap to their teleport destination as quickly as possible, without touching the invulnerability sphere), you don't really have more than a 25% chance of getting to the destination before a cyber teleports in.

z0diac said:

Note that entering the room above the curve seals you there, the doors aren't openable from the inside.

Okay, I didn't think of that. My apologies.

z0diac said:

edit:
Or, now that I think about it, you could use your pacifist route and do an archvile-jump after getting the invulnerability to bypass the red bars altogether.

This isn't as hard as you might think it is.

Ugh. Damn teleporter.

Plus an interesting situation where the cyber was apparently on -fast mode.

Yeah, posting my first and quite frustrating fail exit. After missing the 2 HKs I thought of just giving up but continuing anyway.

dvii13.zip

dv map05 max in 60:54

:(, i wanted this in under an hour, and there are many parts where that min could be saved, like end of map02 (idk why i thought i was missing a monster) and the very end of the map (dat cyber not dying by infight)

Don't feel like doing it again right now cause i worked on this like 10 hours in 2 days, maybe in the future...

dv05-6054.zip

Ancalagon said:

dv map05 max in 60:54

impressive. nice dodging and bfg usage, hardly one wasted shot.