Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

First release dates of historical ports?

I wonder when were various ports first released. The date of the final release is easy to find, for example the dates for Boom 2.02 are right here. But how about the first? When did Boom appear?

How about the first ZDoom? (The rh-log files starts at March 6, 1998 but doesn't say anything about releases and versions. The earliest archive on the forum talks about ZDoom 1.13.)

The first Legacy? The first Doomsday? etc. Such information is not found on the Doom wiki.

JHeXen first release: Nov 1st 1999.

The public annoucement of the Doomsday engine: Dec 19th 1999.

All Jgame releases are made as plugins on versions of the Doomsday engine from this point on.

JHeretic first release: March 20th 2000
JDoom first release: May 31st 2000

JDoom v1.0: Aug 12th 2001
Jheretic v1.0 : Sep 14th 2001
JHeXen v1.0 : Dec 24th 2001

Finally, the first release of the Doomsday engine to contain all three plugin's together was 1.5.4 on March 10th 2002.

The first official release of Odamex in its current form was on January 19th, 2007 (0.1a). However, the timeline of the project's inception and other various builds date back to at least July 2nd, 2005, when the first build of Odamex's precursor Zwango was built.

Some Google magic lead me to this file, which indicates that "boombet0.zip" was released on or about April 2, 1998 and Boom 2.00 on April 17. (I don't have copies of these files though, and they don't seem to exist on the Internet under their original names anymore.) (Edit: the release dates are also listed here. It's nice to know that Mordeth TC will be using the Boom engine :-) )

DOSDoom 0.1 is available here, and the timestamps indicate that Chi Hoang released it on December 23, 1997 (or early morning of December 24), not long after the source came out ("it took me 4-5 hours to port").

Edit: ZDoom version numbering seems to start with 1.11, following the vanilla executable version numbering (with 1.10 being the source release). Version 1.11 is here; the most recent timestamp is April 7, 1998.

EDGE was first officially released on 20th June 2000, at version 1.24 (internally we began at version 1.00).

I think there was an earlier "teaser" release before 1.24, possibly as part of a QDOOM teaser, but I've forgotten the details.

Linux X Doom v1.666 is timestamped 11-Sep-1994

Linux X Doom v1.8 and Linux SVGALib Doom v1.8 are timestamped 07-Dec-1994

TASDoom is timestamped 15-Dec-1998

WinDoom v0.89 came out 13-Jan-1998 though I'm not sure if that's the first release, this bluesnews post implies not.

NTDOOM's last release was January 29, 1998. This doesn't really fit the bill of the topic but at least it was a very early port.

Again, thanks everyone for the info.

chungy said:

NTDOOM's last release was January 29, 1998. This doesn't really fit the bill of the topic but at least it was a very early port.

That's interesting. It's one of the two ports on which ZDoom was originally based (the other being ATB Doom).

ATBDoom appears to have been released December 29, 1997.

There is also SGI X Doom which has a similar vintage (probably within a few days, if not the same day) to the pre-source-release Linux ports I mentioned before.

According to its ChangeLog, LxDoom version 1.0 was released on September 23, 1998. Itself a descendant of Boom 2.01, it was later merged with PrBoom 2.02 (and LSDlDoom) to become PrBoom 2.1.0 (released September 17, 2000).

Eternity Engine 3.29 Public Beta 1 was released on 01/08/01. The development history went back to late 1998 though, and it was originally based on BOOM, then MBF, and finally SMMU.

More digging through the Doomworld news archives (especially interesting to me since I missed about a year of this stuff beginning in mid-1998 or so when I started university):

MBF seems to have been released twice, on December 13, 1998 and again (in an "official version") on January 4, 1999. (Was the first a beta? I'm guessing the version number listed in the source I have -- 2.03 -- is simply a continuation of Boom's version numbering.)

SMMU appeared on February 12, 1999 as "sF-Doom" and gained its current name on April 1. fraggle might know a bit more about this one...

CODOR said:

More digging through the Doomworld news archives (especially interesting to me since I missed about a year of this stuff beginning in mid-1998 or so when I started university):

MBF seems to have been released twice, on December 13, 1998 and again (in an "official version") on January 4, 1999. (Was the first a beta? I'm guessing the version number listed in the source I have -- 2.03 -- is simply a continuation of Boom's version numbering.)

SMMU appeared on February 12, 1999 as "sF-Doom" and gained its current name on April 1. fraggle might know a bit more about this one...

sf-Doom was an earlier short-lived port. SMMU didn't derive directly from it, but did adapt a couple of features from it, one of which was support for the "OLO" lumps used by fraggle's onslaunch program.

The secondary release of MBF was probably the compiled version of Lee's final bug patch that fixed spectre fuzz and another small problem. Unfortunately nobody ever uploaded the source code with that patch applied, and it seems to be lost now. I had to refix all that stuff myself for WinMBF :P