Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomman

upcoming megawads?

'speed of doom' will probably be released soonish. Sunder has hard long maps. Armored blood and phml's recent threads have hard maps.

There's the `94 tune-up challenge, which is bound to contain a mix of styles and degrees of difficulty.

I know a bunch of frenchies who're working on a pretty hard megawad named Necromantic Thirst.

Community Chest 4 will hopefully be released this year, although it's not what you're looking for ( CC4 won't be as hard as HR, AV and such ).

Also, I hope Kama Sutra 2 will be released soon, their screenies are promising !

Still, I think our need for megawads have been fulfilled lately, with the release of excellent wads ( both 1024 projects, Whispers of Satan, Sunder and Scythe X demos... ).

whats a doom?

Im going to go play Modern Warfare 2
Its got really good graphics!

There's this one guy named Gaston who's working on a TC called Mordeth. IIRC he said it was going to be released this Sunday.

dutch devil said:

Mine is cancelled.

I hope this is a joke.

EDIT: Eternal is probably working on something.

Super Jamie said:

Mechadon is working on a Boom-compat megawad - http://mekworx.phenomer.net/supplice/

Yea, which reminds me...I gotta make a more official announcement about it sometime soon. All of the goals are, more or less, figured out. Hopefully it won't suck/take forever to make :P

Also dutch, I must echo Patrick's sentiment and say that I really hope your kidding :(

Craigs said:

There's this one guy named Gaston who's working on a TC called Mordeth. IIRC he said it was going to be released this Sunday.

Around the corner, you can also expect Doom Millennium, The Shores of ZDoom, the Eternity Vaporware Project...

The EVP will only be released after the linked portal code is done. I'm quite sure it's detrimental to release something that relies on code that doesn't yet work, because casual players don't know why.

And TSoZD is the odd one out, because it's not for Eternity Engine.

SpaceDM 12 is in final testing and would have come out last week but all the mappers suffered a software error whilst reticulating splines and were sent into the future. The project is set to start over in 2360 AD, shortly after the actual release of SpaceDM 9 which has traveled back in time thanks to the same error and started development in 1997.

printz said:

because casual players don't know why.

And they care even less about the why.

As for all but one of them being for Eternity, well, it's just that Eternity attracts vaporware projects. That was pretty much the reason why Essel named his this way.

But let's add some more:

KDiKDiZD, RTC-3057 final, The Gateway Experiments complete. That's one vanilla and two ZDoom.

I find it interesting how something being considered a "megawad" automatically elevates it's level of quality. People looking for wads to play are often focusing their sights on Megawads for whatever reason. I can't quite understand that. Probably since I never played any megawad (except for the IWADS) from start to finish in single player.

I personally don't consider megawads as something to beat from point A to point B in one stretch. Even if they're designed this way, I like loading up random maps, and usually kill myself and idclev my way to another map if I want to keep playing.

With custom wads, the thing is, for me, the research work is boring. It's not even a meta game. I want to play Doom, not hunt the Internet for a good wad in a style I like. If I find such a megawad, I know I have multiple maps to play that I'll enjoy. It's much more time efficient than checking out single maps... Not that there's anything wrong with single map wads, I play these too, just voicing my reasons for liking megawads better.

It's not about elevating the level of quality as much as consolidating that quality. Given the choice between spending two hours to check out five megawads* and end up with 1 of them that I like (basically 32 great maps) and spending the same two hours to look at twenty maps and find 4 of them that I like (only 4 great maps) I'm going to go with the first choice and not look back.

* Picking 4 maps at random in a megawad is enough to judge it as a whole, for me.

Obviously doesn't apply with community wads as there's a wide variety of authors, style and, unfortunately, even quality IMHO. That's most likely why I've never found a community wad I liked, sometimes there's a few maps that stand out on their own (CChest3 Map29 comes to mind... awesome level) and that's about it.

Well. That might be the case for you. But I've seen many people not bothering checking out wads because they're "just one episode long". That's systematically ignoring wads because they're not megawads. It has also been used as a criticism against a wad on more than one occasion.

Though as for your example. I again can't see myself anywhere in it. I can't say I ever find the need to go through a throng of unknown maps just to get a fill of Dooming. I usually get one wad I find interesting for whatever reason and then I play it because of that. Not because I crave more Doom. If I did have that kind of abstract desire. I could just play something old from my plentiful resource of tried and trie wads.

I can't say I ever find the need to go through a throng of unknown maps just to get a fill of Dooming. I usually get one wad I find interesting for whatever reason and then I play it because of that. Not because I crave more Doom.

That's not what I was getting at, and I might have choosen my words poorly. My point is I have fun playing Doom levels I enjoy ; I don't have fun playing Doom levels I don't enjoy. Going for megawads (or levels by authors I like) over single maps minimizes the amount of time I spend playing levels I don't enjoy. By that, I mean I still play both, but go for the former first.

Well there is the upcoming Pcorf's community project that is nearing completion(currently it only needs 5 more maps).

Super Jamie said:

SpaceDM 12 is in final testing and would have come out last week but all the mappers suffered a software error whilst reticulating splines and were sent into the future. The project is set to start over in 2360 AD, shortly after the actual release of SpaceDM 9 which has traveled back in time thanks to the same error and started development in 1997.

BEST! POST! EVER!

dutch devil said:

I have no sense of humor, you peeps must have noticed the lack of updates on it lately.

awww, this is true, i havent seen anything recently. do you have any plans to release the existing content

I'm working on mine, but it'll take a while since I'm in the school year obviously, and internet forums are slowly killing my mapping drive.

I can't confirm it's canceled because I have a skeleton and some basic details for MAP08 and the MAP32 "Boss Rush" is moved to Map07 and renamed "Deadly Simple".
Ninja EDIT:
All that in just the last two days

kristus said:

I find it interesting how something being considered a "megawad" automatically elevates it's level of quality.

Me neither.

On the contrary, the common 'megawad' most of the time just being a random collection of maps I quite often find them of far lower quality than more focussed smaller projects.