Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cjwright79

Calisas - one new map; map01 in a 9-map MegaWad; 2.2mb

I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy this map very much. I don't want to sound overly negative so I'll just post my FDA to give some neutral feedback.

That's ok! I will watch your demo immediately and try to ascertain what the problem was.

EDIT: Ok anything in particular that was not to your tastes besides the fact that it isn't done yet? And yeah I noticed the couple of visual issues around the right side of the building.

Well, I think this is what it is at its core : the map isn't to my tastes.

I tend to like maps with superior armament and opposition. Your level seems more classic, with the shotgun as the main weapon, small/medium room and relatively tame opposition, although still challenging in some spots. As there's about 384952 maps like that on the archive, it has to be extremely good to hold my attention - and even then, it's not a guarantee. Basically, you're competing against stuff like ScytheX and... uh... as I'm not usually big on these maps, I don't have any names of great ones in mind, but well, there's plenty.

I also realised something that I think explains why I tend to like high monster count per space maps so much more than others ; Doom is a random game. In a map with few monsters and health, a shotgunner can shot you for 9 damage just as much as 36 damage. This can make a devastating difference if you're at, say, 30 hp. On the other hand, let's say you're fighting 20 hell knights while at 200/200. It's very unlikely all of the projectiles which hit you will roll for max damage at the same time. As there's more and more monsters and health, luck becomes less and less important. I like that.

Anyway... Back on track : I think it's important to stress my opinion is just what it is, the appreciation of one individual. I'm probably not the guy you want to listen to in order to make maps that appeal to most people. While I could give factual details about what I disliked, I don't think it'd be constructive as this isn't necessarily flaws with the map but simply stuff I don't enjoy personally.

Ok, I understand.

I was playing e1m1 the other day and I thought the whole feel of the level was really cool, so I tried to go for something similar here. Anyway I'll get back to the Mancies and Revenants soon I reckon.

This definitely is a lot better than your earlier maps. The design is not bad for a simple 1994-style map.

One thing though: Choose a texture theme and try to be consistent with it. Theme wise the map is all over the place with things combined that don't really match (like marble demons and tech panels, for example.) But that's really the only thing to criticise here. It's more than adequate for a MAP01 of a megawad.

From the title I was expecting to see a screenshot with foamy (and tasty) yellow walls.

I see a misalignment in that screenshot on the top where those computer bits are.

Yeah this is certainly better than your last few maps. I still feel like you could work on your monster placement.. Taking one step activated everybody, and once I got outside, most of the monsters had already weakened each other. Try using block sound to keep better control over your gameplay segments.

Anyways, I can tell your mapmaking has improved. One question though, is there an exit? I couldn't find it for my life.

I agree with Phml. The map definitely has had a fair bit of detail and attention placed into its design, but it basically suffers from something many early maps (unfortunately, my own included). It's just too linear, really - the map is fun, but the entire premise is effectively "keep moving forward, kill the occasional enemy, get to the exit".

You state that you used E1M1 as inspiration. That's great, many Doomers have fond memories of that map, but I wouldn't say it's the best source of reference. Being the first map in the game, it's effectively walk-through in design, in that there's little there to surprise you.

The level feels very static, with next to no ambushes or lifts or anything of the sort. Now, perhaps we're all just spoiled by the scripting abilities of ZDoom and even the editing features added by Boom, but the entire flow of the map just seems predictable.

You seem to do what I do - strive for realism and small details, looking at your map room by room as you go on. The texture usage is a bit random (I can't advise using the green marble walls with tech elements), and most of the action is confined to specific areas.

Don't take this the wrong way. Your texture usage and item placement seems much better than many other early maps, and there are some people who enjoy more straightforward play. I would consider looking at Plutonia 2 as an example of the more open-ended, vulnerable, "massacre" style gameplay many people seem to prefer.

Mr. Chris said:

I see a misalignment in that screenshot on the top where those computer bits are.

It's either an optical illusion or I fixed it without meaning to.

I enjoyed it. It's obviously a bit crude, but the general layout and the open start were nice. Definitely your best map so far.

Jodwin said:

I enjoyed it. It's obviously a bit crude, but the general layout and the open start were nice. Definitely your best map so far.

Excellent.