Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Hexen : Curse of the demon lord. (A sequel)

So. Hello there everyone.
This project hasn't really been making flying progress in a while now (for more or less a year). Even if I still work on it, it's really progressing very slowly. I figured that I should at least put out a bit of information on what is going on for anyone who is expecting it.

Maps 1-3 are all mostly done, sans some final polishing and playtesting.
Maps 4-6 are sort of in mid production and the ones that are progressing the most at this time, but I'm not terribly happy with them currently so I am considering how I should contiune work on them, to keep going in the direction I had planned or if I should make some large scale changes to the layout that would benefit game play rather than narrative.

Map 7 is looking rather pretty but hasn't made any progress in a while. My plans for it is to make it one of my "trademark" open world maps, in the likes of Map07 from Nimrod, and Map04 from Curse of D'sparil. But I am sort of tired.

Map 8 is only in my imagination at the present time.

Anyway, It's likely that speed will pick up eventually, it's mostly a matter of when, sometimes I can lose interest for a long time and come back and get cracking. This more or less happened with most of my projects. But I am considering if I should release the first three maps of the episode. They work nicely together as a sort of a prelude to the things that are about to come in the following maps.

Since I got my Wacom Cintiq I've started to really get a good workflow in Mudbox with a lot smoother process and more accuracy. So I've naturally been burning away in there doodling.

So I've been meaning to make more decorative textures for the mod because I find that part lacking. (basically there's Korax face and very little else)

Here's what I've been making since I got the Cintiq yesterday.

http://www.doglike.org/temp/skull.png
http://www.doglike.org/temp/skull2.png
http://www.doglike.org/temp/skull3.png (Spent about 30 minutes on this But I am really liking where it is going)

Working on some concept art for possible additions to the bestiary of Hexen.

Arch Bishop is essentially going to be more or less an equivalent of the Arch Vile in Doom.

The chaos paladin is just a visual design that game away from the Arch Bishop. Not sure what role it would fit in the bestiary.

Behemoth is a monster that I think would be very good for Hexen as it's attack would be an AOE attack where it slams it's gauntlets into the ground sending anything on the ground around it flying. Should be both visceral and a useful addition for the sake of game play.

kristus said:equivalent of the Arch Vile in Doom.

Imho Arch vile is the best enemy in all ID Tech 1 games. Too bad, that he is rare on non-doom wads (I remember only Hordes of Chaos).

I think Arch Vile or similar enemy should be in Heretic/Hexen/Strife wads/mods for better and more interesting gameplay.

Well, I really would need help with the decorate coding for this stuff. Because that is not something I excel at.

Cool to see some more art from you, as well as progress on the wad. Hope these critters make it to mudbox. ;)

kristus said:

Well, I really would need help with the decorate coding for this stuff. Because that is not something I excel at.

That won't be a problem, lots of people can help you with that (me included).

Wow, awesome update! I had just played Curse of D'sparil this week and was thinking about this... the concept art is looking promising! Very few authors take level design to the standard where it's an art, and you're one of them.

GL!

Awesome stuff, Kristus. The custom arch textures you've made really make the architecture pop, and I have very high hopes for the new monsters/gameplay elements you're adding in.

2 hours ago, Razumen said:

Looks great, is this still being worked on?

As far as I know, the finished maps were released last year as "Curse of the Lost Gods" and the rest was abandoned.