Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kagemaru_H

Music that would be great in Doom

Someone should piece together different sections from great Swedish Death Metal albums into a Doom midi form. That would be way better than something silly like Rammstein.

Ambient music. I've never really felt that metal (or any kind of guitar-oriented music for that matter) works well in Doom, because, well.. MIDI is absolutely dreadful at emulating the sound of a guitar, and it never sounds good. Ever.

AgentSpork said:

Ambient music. I've never really felt that metal (or any kind of guitar-oriented music for that matter) works well in Doom, because, well.. MIDI is absolutely dreadful at emulating the sound of a guitar, and it never sounds good. Ever.

I respectfully disagree with this.

AgentSpork said:

MIDI is absolutely dreadful at emulating the sound of a guitar

I agree. I get tired of all the distortion guitar in all the music people make for Doom.

DuckReconMajor said:

I agree. I get tired of all the distortion guitar in all the music people make for Doom.

Good thing ZDoom has the ability to play MP3's. You could probably recreate the songs you want to use to some extent and use them in your WAD.

I've also used music from Castlevania and Sonic The Hedgehog.

The way I see Doom, it's more of an action-oriented game starring a badass marine who made Hell sorry they even heard of him, not some Silent Hill horror thing. Doom doesn't need excessive ambient, it's just gonna make it sound like Quake. I also agree Doom doesn't need excessive metal either. Techno/Electronic, if used in the right place (i.e. Tech levels), is also good.

EDIT: Fast-paced trance music like this here would be awesome in an extremely abstract level (like your trip through hyperspace went wrong and you're stranded on some floating island drifting through hyperspace, which just so happens to have demons in it).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlDOUfxKCLA

I would never use what I know or assume is copyrighted though.

AgentSpork said:

I think I agree. I was listening to a few midi'ed Metal songs yesterday, Slayer's "Raining Blood," Iron Maiden's "The Trooper," and maybe a few others. Man, they sounded awful. The whole appeal of making them midi is to pick out every note and enjoy it as a composition without the trappings of the Metal Sound. Well, it didn't hold up for shit. In fact the music seemed a lot more shallow and monotonous than your better NES music.

I was playing Doom the other week with classical music (specifically Beethoven and Mozart) and found it to be suspiciously fitting in most environments.

The way I see Doom, it's more of an action-oriented game starring a badass marine who made Hell sorry they even heard of him, not some Silent Hill horror thing. Doom doesn't need excessive ambient, it's just gonna make it sound like Quake. I also agree Doom doesn't need excessive metal either. Techno/Electronic, if used in the right place (i.e. Tech levels), is also good.

I was thinking more along the lines of the more atmospheric music in the original Doom maps. For instance, the music on all of Episode 1, with the exception of E1M1, E1M4 and E1M9. It's still got a sense of melody and rhythm to it, without being just a series of eerie background sounds. But don't get me wrong, I think that kind of "music" worked quite well in Doom 64. It really depends on the style of the map, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSfMxq2Ckh8

I've considered making a MIDI arrangement of this song for Doom and renaming it "Shotgun Sunrise".

The funny thing is, a lot of Gamma Ray's early stuff was mediocre and didn't hold a candle to their post-1994 stuff (yes, post-1994, between "Insanity & Genius" and "Land of the Free"), but this song kicks ass on so many levels, in a cheesy way.

I discovered that the part in the first 10-11 seconds of this song (repeated again at 1:13 to 1:30) inspired me to scream bloody gore in a hellish deathmatch (exampled in 0:41 to 1:21 of my silly vid here that I'm plugging shamelessly in an extra-long link because I am an inconsiderate jerk).

For the most part, I prefer fast and br000taall tunes to keep my blood pumping. But only if the level's action never stops, such as making me go back to hunt for keys or cross empty rooms multiple times thanks to switch puzzles, or making me hide behind corners because they put 12 arch-viles on a high ledge in the center of a gargantuan room.

Though I do like some -- interspersed between all-bloodfest-all-the-time levels -- with darker, slower music like E1M2, E2M6, or the same ambient AgentSpork mentioned such as Ahasverus or Lustmord. These are appropriate for large, sprawling levels where you must search pitch-dark rooms for a key or a switch, always nervous because you never know when a pack of arachnotrons is going to teleport in.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'd be more inclined to the likes of Isis myself - that stuff works really well with Doom.

I've actually taken to playing various rap (mostly G-Funk) in deathmatch, and it tends to fit surprisingly well, especially in urban-type levels.

Death Row and UDMX is seriously the next PB&J.

although i'm a fan of metal / industrial (like rammstein), i don't think this style fits doom really well. you're better fragging away in fast-paced levels with trance like the above "astral projection". i'm also fond of movie soundtracks for an epic fight.

i just found rendez-vous 2 by jean-michel jarre which would be nice for fighting bosses. ambient in ok in suspense levels, quake's NIN soundtrack is good, but excessively ambient.

Groove metal.

I listen to a lot of Devildriver during my play though of doom, and they fit the atmosphere very well in my opinion. They're not so fast, yet not so slow, meaning their music generally works during times of solitude in a map.

This track to me would fit Doom really well (minus the vocals), but then again this may only be me:

I'll see your NSync and raise you a Village People, but I don't need gay videos in my recommendations, so I'll spare the forums of the impending gayness.

Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tpTk5HfbtY .

I could see this going in the first map of a co-op WAD or something otherwise action-oriented.

I like Gamma Ray's stuff from Land of the Free to No World Order. After No World Order, their stuff became generic and their stuff before Land of the Free sounded more like rock music then power metal, but was still pretty good.

But this coming from someone who doesn't like nu-metal or whatever kids listen to these days.
Also, inb4 Helloween ripoff bullshit, the guitarist/current vocalist, Kai Hansen used to be in Helloween, which is why they sound similar.

Inb4 Dragonforce ripoff bullshit, Dragonforce formed later than Gamma Ray, which renders your argument useless.

Let's look at a port which REALLY needs a change in music, like 32X Doom! Better yet, lets replace it with music from the SAME SYSTEM

replace e1m1 w/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCvW2pulO6E
replace e1m2 w/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spEq0R5gISQ
replace e1m3 w/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKvKOx4uIPg
replace E1m4 w/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdm86oDcB8I

and no, none of these are sonic songs. Fuck sonic.

I find Punk music to work for smaller levels or HR-style firefights. I once made a small level with Bad Religion's "Fields of Mars" as the MIDI. Given the setting or DooM, I think it makes enough sense.

AgentSpork said:

I prefer ambient as well, but for a different reason - to me, Doom has always been more of a "suspense" shooter than the ridiculous-hordes-of-monsters type of thing popularized by Plutonia and Hell Revealed, among others. But if a scene absolutely demands high-powered music, I tend to prefer a Juno Reactor-like beat.