Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E.J.

Distribution questions..?

Hi. I have a few question about legalities...

I want to run the original Doom MIDIs through a mod tracker proggy, and create some tracker versions using a couple different soundfonts.

1.) Would it be legal for me to redistribute the original Doom tracks in tracker format?

2.) Are the resources in the Doom 1 shareware wad redistributable? If I were to delete everything but the sprites, and mus tracks for instance, would I be allowed to share the modified wad?

3.) I know that certain soundfont/soundbank instrument sets are copyrighted, so are tracker format music files created with those copyrighted soundfonts/soundbanks not allowed to be shared?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Strictly speaking, none of what you are asking for is legal.

In reality I doubt there's many people who care, except point 3, maybe.

@ 2.) Would it be okay if I hadn't modified the WAD at all?

@ 3.) Do you mean the soundfonts themselves, the trackers created using them, or both?

The reason I ask is the board where I want to upload these to has strict policies. It doesn't matter if the copyright holders don't care, if it's not legal, I'm not allowed.

E.J. said:

@ 2.) Would it be okay if I hadn't modified the WAD at all?

Id software does allow redistribution of the shareware, provided all is included and nothing is altered.

E.J. said:

@ 3.) Do you mean the soundfonts themselves, the trackers created using them, or both?

If a soundfont's license forbids you from disposing as you please of the music you created with it, it seriously sucks.

Id software does allow redistribution of the shareware, provided all is included and nothing is altered.

If a soundfont's license forbids you from disposing as you please of the music you created with it, it seriously sucks.

I thought you might say that...oh well, I guess I'll have to dig up the documentation.

Thanks for the help.