Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KoopaEater

How do i put mp3s in wads?

I tried Google, all I got was mp3's of doom music. I tried doing it with SlangED and all I got was some weird letters and crap.

KoopaEater said:

I tried Google, all I got was mp3's of doom music. I tried doing it with SlangED and all I got was some weird letters and crap.

... What is slanged?

I'll assume you actually meant slumped. Create a new lump that'll be your music lump, right-click on it, select "import" and then choose the music file.

Of course, not all ports can play MP3 music.

Slumped is not an MP3 player. It doesn't know what it is, so it just displays its content. Why do you care? What matters is not that it works in the editor, what matters is that it works in the game.

You better don't do it. 95% of the mp3 used in wads are crap that could be replaced with a good quality midi file.
If you add mp3 just be sure that they don't represent 50% or more of the overall file size or you'll be a moronic n00b.

And of course, said MP3 had better not be music ripped from some movie or professional artist. The last thing I think the Doom community needs is another single-level WAD with a poorly-compressed Metallica song in it.

WildWeasel said:

And of course, said MP3 had better not be music ripped from some movie or professional artist. The last thing I think the Doom community needs is another single-level WAD with a poorly-compressed Metallica song in it.

MP3's should be used sparingly, and only if

A) It's not copyrighted (Don't use some Metallica MP3 you found on the internet. I might understand a game MP3 that there's no MIDI for, but lyrical music is wrong on so many levels (doesn't fit in any game and more obvious copyright violation))
B) You cannot find a similar MIDI file (I would use Ninja Soul from Shinobi 3, but I cannot find a MIDI of it, but I just so happen to have an MP3)
C) it doesn't take up half your WAD file size (Ninja Soul is the only MP3 I'm using).

I'm sorry, but there really is no such thing as a good quality MIDI file. As someone who makes music, there are only so many piss-poor attempts at thrash metal I can listen to before I have to break something.

Of course, not ripping commercial stuff is a given, but is the whole WAD/MP3 file size ratio an /idgames regulation or just the MP3 haters having a rant?

Also, KoopaEater, depending on what port your modding for I'd advise converting your MP3 to OGG format - better compression and sound quality and a smaller file size. It also loops better.

scalliano said:

I'm sorry, but there really is no such thing as a good quality MIDI file. As someone who makes music, there are only so many piss-poor attempts at thrash metal I can listen to before I have to break something.

Of course, not ripping commercial stuff is a given, but is the whole WAD/MP3 file size ratio an /idgames regulation or just the MP3 haters having a rant?

Also, KoopaEater, depending on what port your modding for I'd advise converting your MP3 to OGG format - better compression and sound quality and a smaller file size. It also loops better.

Does ZDoom even play OGG's?

I love Oggs, and I love midis. There are reasons for both. If your music source is not in a tracker format, use ogg for the compression and quality. Don't try to transpose it to a midi unless it works well (duh)

And if the song you want is a midi (there are many, MANY high quality midis), do not try to convert it to mp3/ogg with a high quality soundfont or whatever. Just use the Midi file, to save download time, and so that the user can use whatever soundfont they want to listen to it.

Fuck them both, use MODs -although I've seldom heard one that would fit Doom well, most are either older "Amiga metal" or demoscene-type techno.

I remember a wad back in 95 that had a Sweet Dreams (are made of this) midi. It was freaking awesome.

Well I hate that song. It's overused in media.

If a wad has mp3s in it... I don't play it. Most of the time the wad itself is just an excuse to say "I LISEN TO THIS BAND!!!111!!" and also a lot of the time the music completely contradicts the atmosphere in the game and comes off sounding pretentious, but that's just my opinion.

robo-ky said:

there is a doom editing program called deepsea that has a function that lets you import mp3's

You don't need that.

Slumped lets you import any type of file into any lump. If some day a source port will make use of bzip2'ed Excel files for some reason, you'll be able to import them with Slumped.