Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

I'm switching my party affiliation

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0210/33324.html#ixzz0gYXHQF1H

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2010/02/23/brown_4_others_in_gop_break_ranks_to_advance_jobs_bill/

Jesus H Christ. I'd never thought I'd ever say it, but the GOP can go fuck itself. I'm still gonna vote Republican, but as of now I'm officially switching my party to Libertarian.

And fuck Scott Brown as well. That RINO is more proof that the state of MA is completely and irreversibly fucked over. I voted for this guy, and now he gets in bed with the Dems AFTER saying the stimulus did not create new jobs.

If this is any sign of the coming times, the GOP might as well throw in the towel come 2012.

If it's not going to change your voting stance, why not choose no party and just vote on issues?

Bank said:

If it's not going to change your voting stance, why not choose no party and just vote on issues?

I've always considered myself more of a Libertarian than a Conservative anyway. The party change just makes it official.

I love how when libertarians make too much sense, they instantly get labeled as nutcases. Those who would support the NWO don't want us talking anymore it would seem. Otherwise, welcome to the party Mr. Freeze! I'm the chairman of the fund-raising committee for the local libertarian party. I'm a registered member of the Objectivist Party but we're more or less a branch of more extreme libertarians.

What's with this "official" party affiliation thing Americans seem to like so much. It makes utterly no sense. You guys treat politics like it's football or something. It makes more sense to vote for whoever happens to agree with your views or whoever pisses you off the least when elections happen. I'm really still not sure I even agree parties should be legal.

All that said, Libertarian is better than Republican or Democrat, at least in theory

Aliotroph? said:

What's with this "official" party affiliation thing Americans seem to like so much.

I call it the 'Tree-house Club Syndrome'. Everyone worries about finding like-minded individuals instead of bearing the weight their ideals/opinions (let alone apply the scientific method to them).

It's not US-centric by any means but the two-party system has a way of qualifying every assertion as black/white, good/evil depending on which side of the fence you are simply because there's no tangible third side to break this image I have of 12 year olds up in their tree-house plotting against the kids next door with a passion.

Aliotroph? said:

It makes more sense to vote for whoever happens to agree with your views or whoever pisses you off the least when elections happen.

Because I'm totally going to vote Republican for the rest of my life with no other options. Yep. Makes perfect sense.

This is why I don't consider myself a member of any party. I think of the parties as the Three Stooges.

The Democrats are Curly, running around going "woob-woob-woob" without any real direction.

The Republicans are Moe, thinking they are in charge and bitch-slaping anyone who disagrees with them.

The Libertarians (and other third parties) are Larry, just kind of hanging out in the background, not really doing anything except making the occasional comment which gets them backhanded.

The American Voters are the guys who hires the Stooges in every short. They leave they boys to their own devices, expecting them to get the job done, then later express surprise and outrage that the entire place is wrecked and nothing has been accomplished. And yet, they hire them again and again.

Heh. The two party system was established to make people think they have a choice in government. It's all a big show. Seriously, no matter who you vote for inevitably the voting populace loses big time. It's terrible to think that I can cast my vote for someone who will in turn vote without my interests in mind at all. with the recent supreme court ruling that it should be legal for corporations to 'donate' to political campaigns, its basically legal to buy a politician now.

American politics make me laugh because it's like watching mice in a maze. People think they have 'real' concerns like, for example: gay marriage. Really? how does that matter to anyone but gays. And yet it always comes up as a HUGE issue. Republicans and Democrats are like Coke and Pepsi. The only difference is ... ???

Mr. Freeze said:

I'm still gonna vote Republican, but as of now I'm officially switching my party to Libertarian.

...what's the point? I never got that whole "I support X but vote for Y" bullshit, wherever I heard it.

Ralphis said:

People got along a lot better when they didn't talk about politics or religion!

Or OSes, for that matter.

Patrick said:

Otherwise, welcome to the party Mr. Freeze! I'm the chairman of the local fund-raising committee for the Fort Collins Colo. libertarian party.

!

I live in Loveland... I thought I was the only Doomer between the Rockies and the far side of Kansas.

Unfortunately, I'm still 10 months too young to vote. To be quite honest, I'm probably going to be leaving the U.S. > eight years. If I stay, I'll probably remain unaffiliated, and vote for whoever pisses the least amount of bullshit.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

If I stay, I'll probably remain unaffiliated, and vote for whoever pisses the least amount of bullshit.

Pretty much my only affiliation in terms of politics. I could not possibly care any less for the party lines; I just vote for whatever sucks the least.

The whole thing in American politics is a big "No matter who wins, we lose" situation, anyhow. The whole thing is like a display for why the system doesn't work on a grand scale. When people actually do get a politician they wanted in office, he/she spends most of their time jerking off the lobbyists.

Right now, the situation is even worse because instead of focusing on what's important (stimulating the economy), they're worried about fucking health care. Yeah, it's a broken system, but let's worry about the bigger issue first, eh? No, they're too busy flailing their genitals at each other to actually solve anything.

Props to Danarchy's "Three Stooges" post. That's the best description I've heard in a long time.

I'm Independent and I always will be. I don't need the convenient umbrella of conservative/liberal. I don't need my opinions fed to me by Rush Limbaugh. The only reason I'd vote for something is if I think it's smart, and the only reason I'd vote against something is if I think it's stupid, unconstitutional, or generally threatening my rights or others' rights.

Aliotroph? said:

What's with this "official" party affiliation thing Americans seem to like so much. It makes utterly no sense. You guys treat politics like it's football or something. It makes more sense to vote for whoever happens to agree with your views or whoever pisses you off the least when elections happen. I'm really still not sure I even agree parties should be legal.

All that said, Libertarian is better than Republican or Democrat, at least in theory

Actually, George Washington warned about political parties in his farewell speech.

Kagemaru_H said:
I'm Independent and I always will be. I don't need the convenient umbrella of conservative/liberal. I don't need my opinions fed to me by Rush Limbaugh. The only reason I'd vote for something is if I think it's smart, and the only reason I'd vote against something is if I think it's stupid, unconstitutional, or generally threatening my rights or others' rights.

Freedom vs Security... One of society's biggest debates. My only question is this: Would you be willing to sacrifice any rights for security?

I have to vote for the democratic ticket because I know they won't get anything done. Voting Republican gets horrible, retarded things done. It's not about progress anymore, really just delaying regression.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

!

I live in Loveland... I thought I was the only Doomer between the Rockies and the far side of Kansas.

Unfortunately, I'm still 10 months too young to vote. To be quite honest, I'm probably going to be leaving the U.S. > eight years. If I stay, I'll probably remain unaffiliated, and vote for whoever pisses the least amount of bullshit.

whoa. If we know each other that would be awesome.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Would you be willing to sacrifice any rights for security?

I wouldn't mind if someone was able to run his mouth off or preach about how good God/whatever the fuck he worships is, which is one thing. After all, they're natural rights.

Killing, rape and stealing aren't rights though, they're crimes no matter where you are. If you were a caveman in the stone age living with others, you wouldn't kill each other or your tribe wouldn't get anywhere. You would kill mammoths and saber-toothed tigers for food and clothing though, and each person would get his share. If you stile all the food and clothing the others would starve to death which would endanger you. Rules are made on instinct.

On the other hand, if the US only allowed people to say anything praising God and only allowed people to be of a Christian faith, and black people were slaves and women were mere sexual objects, then I'd be outraged and rebel against the oppression for violating people's rights.

So my ideal society strikes that balance.

The Republicans have no fucking idea what they are anymore. On the one hand you have Ron Paul winning the latest straw poll, (there's your libertarian) and on the other you have Sarah Palin existing and still getting mentioned by the news every day. It seems like a serious split in the party is inevitable, but you never know.

Kagemaru_H said:

I wouldn't mind if someone was able to run his mouth off or preach about how good God/whatever the fuck he worships is, which is one thing. After all, they're natural rights.

There's more than just "supporting one's inalienable rights" when certain issues are brought into play.

E.g. would you support the right of recording and airing this song, for example, full and uncut, or would you place in in the "Yeah, almost anything but not this" category?

FIY, this was shown on Greek national TV years ago when it came out, because we didn't buy into this whole "terror" thing. Would any TV station in the USA have the cojones to do the same? I doubt it.

And I also can understand why: there would be so much backlash from "concerned patriots", perhaps even rioting/lynching, that none would dare enforce the right to express that particular song's contents (if the Patriot Act didn't outright outlaw it and consider it "enemy propaganda", that is).

Patrick said:

I love how when libertarians make too much sense, they instantly get labeled as nutcases.

That's all the critics have, emotional appeals and ad hominem attacks. Disregard those who have nothing more to respond with than lolconspiracaytinhatfoillazz, if they want to act like teenagers on an internet forum then treat them as such.

fraggle said:

Iain Banks said:
“Libertarianism. A simple-minded right-wing ideology ideally suited to those unable or unwilling to see past their own sociopathic self-regard.”

Well said, and I often feel more respect for simple reactionary ideas, because while they're generally harsher, their gut-wrenched nature is often more human and direct than the political apathy of this laissez-faire mentality some call "libertarianism".

Zaldron said:
I call it the 'Tree-house Club Syndrome'. Everyone worries about finding like-minded individuals instead of bearing the weight their ideals/opinions (let alone apply the scientific method to them).

It's easy to criticize how we act as a mass but our collective consciousness can't exceed the world we live in. Our opinions and ideals are tied to particular interests and thus become awkward outside select groups. With technology being so quick and changing so fast it's no wonder political choices are simplified as much as possible. Making a simple alliance or a basic choice at a large scale is already quite a feat. Politics can be studied scientifically, as far as biology and the humanities allow, and that can be applied as a factor in the long run, but not as a political means in the short term.

Relatively speaking, we're lost in our own civilization much like the ancients were lost in a wild world. The jungle used to be weeds and trees, now it's cyberspace and streets.