Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

From a Hideous Road of Corpses and Misery to Satan's Secret Oddities! (ITS FINISHED!)

I have been working on this level for some time now. My aim is to create a really dark 1 hour long level that emulates the scary theme of PSX Doom and Doom 3. The map uses new tech textures and the PSX Doom sounds, as well as a sound track from Doom 64 (yes I know the file size is large but since this is suppose to be worth a full hour (at least) of gameplay and is really important for creating the atmosphere I want to create I think its worth it)

The map is for Zdoom, it uses Zdoom features such as slopes and colored lights.

The map will be part tech base part hell, though the two (or more) sections will be separated and the theme won't just suddenly change from tech to hell. It will happen "naturally" as hell slowly "eats" the base.

As for the story:

The story so far......

Your a elite former soldier and a gun for hire. Something has gone terribly wrong (for the tenth billionth time) at a secret research base on the North-Pole that belongs to the Gionetics corporation, the UAC's biggest competitor. After begin contacted by Gionetics, they convince you take care of there mess since they don't want the disaster to become aware to the public in return for a big fat paycheck. After you arrive on there secret base of operations in Canada for one final stop, they brief you about the situation and tell you that they were experimenting with stolen technology they stole from the UAC in an attempt to perfect the teleportation technology for there own purposes only to repeat the mistake made by the UAC on Mars all of those years ago.

Because of the North-pole's remote location, the demons have not yet been able to find a way to leave the base area and thus Earth is save for the moment. But there numbers continue to grow and if they aren't stopped soon then all of Earth will be in grave danger........

You paradrop down and land right outside the base entrance, you open the entrance door and enter the base.........there is no turning back now.

Screenshots (I know they are really dark but the map is suppose to be dark and its easier to see what is going on in-game then it is on the screens, plus you may have to adjust video settings when playing the map since the maps brightness appears to vary depending on what monitor I play the level on).

Here is a editor screen (Since the map is really big I could only fit a portion of it into the screenshot so keep that in mind).

Please comment! Also, I will gladly accept any offers from people who want to playtest this since I really need to get some feedback from people for the sake of fine polishing my map.

So far I would say the map is roughly 35-40 % finished as it has roughly 20 min worth of gameplay in it right now.

EDIT: For the sake of keeping everything new on the fist post, here is the sneak peak trailer:

EDIT: Here is the gameplay demo trailer

EDIT: THE PROJECT IS NOW FINISHED. HERE IS THE /IDGAMES LINK TO THE FULL DOWNLOAD: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16291

It's kind of hard to see anything in the screenshots since it's so dark. But the bits in the DB shot look pretty good. Aaaand that's all I can think to say at the moment.

Mechadon said:

It's kind of hard to see anything in the screenshots since it's so dark. But the bits in the DB shot look pretty good. Aaaand that's all I can think to say at the moment.

Yea. liked I said it appears to be very dark on some monitors but not on others. Right now I am viewing this thread on my laptop for example and I an see whats on them just fine.

Chex Warrior said:

Looks awesome, keep it up.

Thanks!

Since you like it would you care to playtest for me?

EDIT: That also goes for anyone else who wants to playtest the map for me.

Hey, I know I was supposed to be playtesting this and sorry I forgot... I've played about 10 minutes worth of Doom in the past couple of weeks. Too busy trying to find a new job and all. I'll try and get back to you sooner than later. Maybe by Sunday.

TheMionicDonut said:

Hi Dark Forces Textures.

Yes, the map uses the Dark Forces textures. And also the Doom 1 for Doom 2 textures as well.

Cjwright79 said:

Looks extremely good, but orthogonal as usual.

I am trying the best I can to make sure the map won't look too linear. Plus there is this one area I am sort of considering to scrap and replace with an entirely new area.

Snakes said:

Hey, I know I was supposed to be playtesting this and sorry I forgot... I've played about 10 minutes worth of Doom in the past couple of weeks. Too busy trying to find a new job and all. I'll try and get back to you sooner than later. Maybe by Sunday.

No problem. Though considering how much I have added to the map since I last spoke to you I should probably send you the latest version of the map once you feel like playtesting it. Also, good luck on find a new job.

Linear != orthogonal.

Many Wold3D maps were not linear at all, and that engine only allows orthogonality.

On your editor screenshot, we see rectangular rooms, a cross-shaped corridor hub, and another corridor with a 90% angle. Then we have a couple of corridors that go in diagonal, cool. Why no curving hallways? Why no angles other than 45° and 90°?

Orthogonal means nearly everything is at right angles; everything is a square or rectangle in basic shape. And I do mean everything -- like 99% of wads have this issue.

walter confalonieri said:

hey great map! i like to beta test it...

Ok! I will PM you a download link. Anyone else who feels like playtesting is also welcome to do so.

And by the way everybody, here is a sneak preview trailer for the level!

Kudos for the title! I'm curious how will it be ultimately called in /idgames. FHRCMSSO? It fits.

This may sound like a tough job, because you're not English-speaking (neither am I), but please work on the orthography and grammar (such as using their for possessives and there for relative locations, and it doesn't stop here)! Also, you could be using a more artistic font. I don't know, but I feel that Arial or whichever is that doesn't look complete.

Maybe roaming cacodemons in that sky too... Most Doom art scenes had a habit of positioning a caco in the corner...

printz said:

Kudos for the title! I'm curious how will it be ultimately called in /idgames. FHRCMSSO? It fits.

This may sound like a tough job, because you're not English-speaking (neither am I), but please work on the orthography and grammar (such as using their for possessives and there for relative locations, and it doesn't stop here)! Also, you could be using a more artistic font. I don't know, but I feel that Arial or whichever is that doesn't look complete.

Maybe roaming cacodemons in that sky too... Most Doom art scenes had a habit of positioning a caco in the corner...

Sorry about the grammar, I am really trying to do my best here!

The introduction reminds me of an old idea of mine of replacing DEMO1 (for vanilla megawads) with a demo recording where the viewport slowly backpedals while text appears in front.

printz said:

The introduction reminds me of an old idea of mine of replacing DEMO1 (for vanilla megawads) with a demo recording where the viewport slowly backpedals while text appears in front.

That sounds interesting, why did you scrap the idea?

Because it wasn't part of any project, it was just thinking what could be done. I couldn't map back then :) (not that I have the interest right now, either. so don't sign me up on anything now).

This looks very interesting - nice to see someone else who isn't afraid to use coloured sector lighting. I certainly wouldn't mind giving this a go. Keep it up!

hardcore_gamer said:

No problem. Though considering how much I have added to the map since I last spoke to you I should probably send you the latest version of the map once you feel like playtesting it. Also, good luck on find a new job.

That's fine. Just PM me and I'll get back to you by the end of the week, I think.

it looks good, but if it is mood/tension you are going for then keeping things that dark all the time doesn't really help as much as great use of lighting and shadow.

The Lag said:

it looks good, but if it is mood/tension you are going for then keeping things that dark all the time doesn't really help as much as great use of lighting and shadow.

I am relying heavily on darkness combined with colored lighting and really dark music (the Doom 64 sound track that has the cries in it) to create the mood/tension. That isn't to say I don't use any interesting lighting either.

If by the Doom64 music with the cries in it you mean the music from Altar Of Pain, my advice is to use the music from Mt. Erebus on PSXDoom. Same music, only better.

My tuppence worth :)