Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mormegil

Question about lighting capabilities.

I don't think anyone's asked about this before but.. what about light refraction? Does anyone think that's going to be coded in as part of the engine? I know I've seen light refraction before in tech demo pictures of the Radeon 8500, so it could happen.

Well as always Zaldron will probably come trough with the answer to this one, although I don't suspect it will make it into Doom 3. It sounds like a feature that's not supported on the entire range of video cards Doom 3 is targeting (GeForce 1/2/3, Radeon 1/2, Kyro) and I don't see how it could add much to the visual experience. Maybe I'm wrong - do you have any link to that tech demo you mentioned ?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ummh sorry. :)
Nah, we won't see any refractions. Refractions use pretty much the same kind of calculations needed for reflections, and Carmack already stated there is no radiosity, so I'm not expecting any kind of vector changes for the lightrays.

http://gamespot.com/gshw/stories/screens/0,12988,2795666-4,00.html

These are special cases. Stuff like this and that "predator" effect so commonly tied with invisibility could be archieved, but you won't be able to alter the world's lighting by approaching a glass prism to a light source.

Hmm. How difficult is it to add radiosity into the engine? I'm assuming it's a daunting task, and would that require a lot more horsepower than would even be available when Doom 3 ships?

Also, I'm wondering about making changes to the game itself. Having the source code allows absolutely anything to be changed about the engine, right? But that's not something they release publicly for years after it comes out, so just how much can you change of the game if you were making a mod?

There's no rendering-specific code on the SDK. That's only the game data, (mainly what Jim Dosé and Robert Duffy work on). I don't think we'll able to add radiosity until Carmack decides to release the entire source code, and even then, radiosity-engines should be back again.

Right now it's impossible to add. Radiosity requires a minimum of 5 or 6 bounces to actually look decent. That's 5x to 6x more calculations in the lighting phase. They're aiming for 30 fps on the Geforce3, so it makes you wonder if this will be possible without a major breakthrough on CG hardware.

Judging from the video, I'll say yeah that's pretty much the same. If it doesn't look "moody" enough for you, that's because they're using a rather lame light out of the scene in order to fully appreciate the physics.

Was this done in a game engine? Because MAX also has Havok support and that looks like a quick feature-specific animation. The boxes shadows are being processed with shadow maps, while DOOM seems to go for Raytracing.