Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

Favorite Athletes Of The Oylmpics

Shannon Szabados (Cdn women's goalie) gave me a szaboner. ** line lifted from SomethingAwful and not strictly true **

EDIT: actually Jennifer Botterill of the same team is my favorite. She's my age and totally awesome.

I don't have a favourite, but I will say that flat-chested women in skin-tight suits appeal to me.

trooper077 said:

jon montgomery (gold medalist of the skeleton)

That guy's actually from a town in Manitoba. How he ever found a hill to practice on is a bit of a mystery.

I guess Anja Pärson for winning a bronze the day after that spectacular crash in the downhill. It made NBCs constant coverage of Lindsey "boo-hoo my shin" Vonn look a bit silly.

Simon Ammann (Swiss ski jumper) was cool too. I love how they had to severely cut back on the speed of the jumps so Simon didn't jump into the stands!

Watching guys like Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, Martin Brodeur, Sergei Fedorov, etc. who may have well played in their last international tournament, it was a real treat.

Jocelyn and Monique Lamoreaux who are home town girls, and fine too!

Zach Parise and Jonathan Toews as they are former Sioux players.

All the lady Figure Skaters, it truly was a deep field.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

All the lady Figure Skaters, it truly was a deep field.

Yeah. The silver medalist from Japan (Mao Asada) is fine, and the gold medalist from Korea will be fine.

Danarchy said:

Had to root for Apollo Ono since he's a local boy. :P

It'd be nice if he didn't try to imply Canadian bias when he got dq'd, though... that was just a dick move.

As for my favorite athlete to watch... yeah, pretty much the entire lady's figure skating field was at the minimum, entertaining. Seriously, though... what was with the brother-sister ice dance. There was some serious grindage going on there that shouldn't have.

Creaphis said:

I don't have a favourite, but I will say that flat-chested women in skin-tight suits appeal to me.

That guy's actually from a town in Manitoba. How he ever found a hill to practice on is a bit of a mystery.

Probably flew to somewhere like quebec or BC itself to practice on,I think in all our canadian athletes did great and they make me proud to be canadian

Also watching the ice dance medal ceremony,the russians looked PISSED

Snakes said:

It'd be nice if he didn't try to imply Canadian bias when he got dq'd, though... that was just a dick move.

Maybe, although frankly, whoever decided that a Canadian head ref should be covering the 500m final which involved two Canadians, and make the call involving an admittedly imaginary-looking offense by Ohno against a Canadian, was probably not thinking very hard.

It was definitely a bad call. Whether that was due to bias or not, dunno. But they should have avoided the question altogether. If anything, what they have now shown by removing the ref who made the call in the women's relay, is that some Korean schmuck can just threaten terrorism in order to control the sport.

axel motherfucking teichmann for the incredible stunt he pulled on 50km. he was chasing the lead group for like 30km and the whole time everyone was writing him off, then he almost got even northug in the final sprint. spectacular.

simon ammann, martina sablikova and sven kramer for performances from outer space. swiss men's curling team for their final tactics in the 3rd place match against sweden, sweet.

janne ahonen, hannu manninen and kristin steira... for their epic bad luck with yet another 4th place on the olympics... a fourth 4th place for steira?! :(

dew said:

axel motherfucking teichmann for the incredible stunt he pulled on 50km.

I've always loved the cross-country, but it was especially exciting this time.

Yeah, that 50km was nuts, what an ending.
The Canadian guy who came in 5th went to the same highschool as my sister. He's the same age as me, but I went to the other highschool in that part of town.

Quasar said:

Maybe, although frankly, whoever decided that a Canadian head ref should be covering the 500m final which involved two Canadians, and make the call involving an admittedly imaginary-looking offense by Ohno against a Canadian, was probably not thinking very hard.

It was definitely a bad call. Whether that was due to bias or not, dunno. But they should have avoided the question altogether. If anything, what they have now shown by removing the ref who made the call in the women's relay, is that some Korean schmuck can just threaten terrorism in order to control the sport.

80% of the time, if you put your hand on a skater the way he did, and said skater falls over, they're going to make that call. Impeding is a vary basic rule. Yes, a Canadian judge wasn't the wisest move, but I don't think it matters who was calling the match at the time, that would've been called.

dew said:

a fourth 4th place for steira?! :(

You know, Daniela Anschutz Thoms had 7 or 8 of those :P

As for the topic, our medalists, and of course Petra Majdic for what she achieved despite her injuries. Same goes for Ewelina Staszulonek, our luger, who finished 8th. If anyone was wondering why the German luge teams were congratulating her after the event, that's because she narrowly avoided having her left leg amputated after a crash 2 years ago. Thanks to the German doctors who got her to the operating table ASAP she's 'only' missing parts of her tibial and fibular bones.

at least both aschutz-thoms and steira got a gold in relay races. :)

i have to say i never liked justyna kowalczyk and the feeling only got deeper when she implied bjorgen was doping with her asthma medication. many cross-country skiers are asthmatic (i know lukas bauer is) and bringing it up immediatelly after she lost to bjorgen on 15+15 seemed low to me.

dew said:

many cross-country skiers are asthmatic

Which is exactly why it's so ridiculous. Even though the medical experts are saying that the current gen meds are rightfully not considered doping, the problem is there and at least some discussions will start now that someone decided to voice their opinion. It's not like she's alone in her views.

I bet both losing to and winning against sick people feels equally awkward.

LOLz, I knew that name sounded familiar. In 1997, I ran the 1500m against the Canadian guy who came 5th in the 50km cross-country skiing race (Devon Kershaw). He came in first and I came in second. :(
http://www.rainbowschools.ca/sdssaa/pages/EVENT97.HTM

Event 10 Midget Men's 1,500 Meter Run
                         SDSSAA: 4:22.90 Bruce Hoppe 1977
                      Finals - Results  - Thursday 22/05/97
PLACE ATHLETE NAME              YR TEAM                      TIME    PTS
===== ========================= == ========================= ======= ===
    1 Kershaw, Devon               Lockerby Composite        4:40.73  10
    2 Balch, Chris                 Lo Ellen Park             4:48.80   8
    3 Grant, Ken                   Lo Ellen Park             4:56.50   6
    4 Paul, Jeff                   Lo Ellen Park             5:00.77   4
    5 Best, Avery                  Lockerby Composite        5:02.07   2
    6 Zylberberg, David            Lockerby Composite        5:04.15   1