Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Phml

GLBoom+ vs GZDoom performance

I believe it is generally accepted GLBoom+ has a faster renderer, while GZDoom looks gorgeous but can be a little bit slower on extremely large maps filled with monsters (i.e., Longdays).

I just experienced otherwise with my latest map, though (Phmlspd Map13, which you can find in the wads&mods forum).

In that map, GLBoom+ 2.5.0.6 starts choking a bit at the left and right edges of the map - either the spider MM labyrinth or the archvile/spectres pillars. On my rig, FPS drops to 55ish rather than 60 (capped by vsync) and somehow it looks much more sluggish than a few frames lost. The problem dissapears when a large amount of monsters is dead.

Gggmork and ArmouredBlood also reported bad performance at some spots (I assume the same ones), and I believe they use the software renderer rather than GL. Not sure if this is the same issue or not, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to mention.

On the other hand, GZDoom 1.4.3 keeps a smooth 60 FPS all the way through, without breaking a sweat.

So I'm wondering if anyone would have any idea of what is going on here. Is GZDoom better optimized than GlBoom for a certain kind of map (interior as opposed to outdoors like longdays is)? The map was built with ZDBSP, if that matters.

Generally, glboom-plus can't be slower than gzdoom. But gzdoom can have some things which are coded better. Interpolation for example. Also glboom-plus has some problems with vsync. For example with "vsync off" I have 200+ fps at some position on your level, but with "vsync on" (100Hz for my monitor / resolution) FPS drops to 80 sometimes. I do not know how it is possible. Probably because of unprecise timer which is used by SDL or something. Similar with quakelive. I have 90 sometimes

As always, thanks a lot for your input. Vsync seems to be the culprit indeed, turning it off my FPS never drops below 120-130 and the whole map "feels" a lot smoother. While there's still a huge drop in performance on the edges of the map, the slowness I've experienced in these areas is gone.

Edit : now that I play a bit more with it off, I see that was what made me feel GZDoom was smoother (on any kind of map) before. Now I'm torn between keeping it off and living with the screen-tearing or putting it on and not having the game as smooth as it could be...

Maybe fiddle with options/general/uncapped framerate since that made it play smoother for me long ago, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

gggmork said:

Maybe fiddle with options/general/uncapped framerate since that made it play smoother for me long ago, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

If he's debating between vsync and unlimited, unlatched framerate is already off. VSync limits it to your monitor's refresh rate (usually around 60fps, sometimes higher); if unlatched framerate wasn't enabled already it'd be running no higher than 35fps.