Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom_marine666

What do you think for Super Sonic Doom

hi

everyone know how good super sonic and how Ultimate dooMer is the best map maker ever but i'm wondering what do you think of this wad...
oh one more thing what the ending music for Super Sonic Doom can something tell me pleae.

Doom_marine666

It was fun, but after a while I got really tired of being effectively forced to play with default Doom weapons (as none of my mods will function properly without screwing up SSD's scripts), and I believe it also has broken in a few places due to changes in ZDoom and GZDoom that stop some glitches (and some of SSD's effects relied on such glitches).

Eh, it was fun for a while but once the tough versions of the monster started getting a little too insane, I got bored with it pretty quickly. It was really annoying having to empty a huge portion of your ammo into a single enemy.

trooper077 said:

I hear the tropical fusion of hell calling......

Why do you say that? (Besides...doesn't the forum FAQ say something about backseat moderating?)

lupinx-Kassman said:

I enjoyed what I did play, but I never got around to beating it.

(All the way up to the second map)

It had some interesting concepts but it all got buried in a large heap of stupid decisions.

What bothered me most, even when I was doing beta-testing on it were the overcooked monsters that killed all the fun. I mentioned all of this to TUD but it all stayed in the final project.

The badly designed bosses didn't help much either and the end of zone fights became the biggest show stoppers very quickly. Having each single level end either fighting some overcooked monster or doing some target practice while trying to avoid an utterly deadly trap is certainly no fun at all.

When I reached the Volcano level I had enough. It was a steep descent afterward of one level after another filled with idiotic ideas that made the whole thing unplayable.

In the end I just tore the WAD apart after release, replaced many of the glitch-based 'features' and nearly all of the boss fights, replaced the awful music with decent tracks and generally 'fixed' everything that made it a chore to play for my private version.

It's still not great but in this state it's at least enjoyable enough for an occasional play. The original version is something I'd prefer never to see again aside from glitch-testing.

Yeah, honestly it gives no real value when going back to it now - this is a wad that could really do with some serious revision.

I agree with all graf zahl's complains. Those things are what screwed up the fun for me. Someone needs to revision the wad and make it less hacky and actually work in latest zdoom/gzdoom properly.

I enjoyed playing it all the way through once, but I feel I could never do it again due to it being a huge undertaking (and needing a specific version of ZDoom), and frankly bits of it were edging on frustrating the first time - doing it again they'd just put me straight off.

I liked it, but I didn't. I couldn't really play through the entire thing, but I would warp around levels just to see the interesting concepts. And they are interesting. This was a few years ago and I can't say I played through any wad though. I'll probably give it another run.

That is the main thing with TUD really isn't it? He does have an awful lot of interesting concepts and ideas...

I think that's probably why I play his maps more than the actual gameplay - they feel almost educational in what sort of lengths (Z)Doom can be taken to.

I honestly consider this wad to be one of my favorites just because of its creativity and design.

Although two really big quirks I have with the game are the over-excessive amounts of tremors in maps 11/12 (having the level shake every minute or so really gets annoying after a while). Plus, I always had a bug when the water floods the whole level in map 17 (the lifts don't work and I have to noclip).

But the way the city maps are laid out, the later space levels and the overall atmosphere of the entire game are excellent IMO

As a lover of both Doom and Sonic, this WAD somehow managed to capture the best and worst of both simultaneously, in a strange way. The boss fights themselves were great, including some real bizarrely awesome moments (Icon shooting mancubi at the player, e.g.). The boss fights were really fun, too. The real problem, for me, was the in-level gameplay, which felt nearly broken. It all started with the level where the player would be stripped of weapons and bounce off rocks... I had a really tough time even wanting to play after that.

Not surprisingly, the music was my favorite part. Diamond Dust FTW!!!!!

i really wouldn't mind sipping a pina colada out of a demon skull while an imp in a grass skirt shakes her gams...mmmmmm

I have a fantastic feeling due to the Super Sonic Doom. I love the music =) but the levels are good too