Find results in...
icedigger

UAC Labs by Eric Harris

UAC Labs is a....  

103 members have voted

1. 1. UAC Labs is a....

• medicore effort
    • actually quite good!

I am going to start off tentatively here, by simply asking what all y'all think of this map. So -- trash or class?

I don't think it's BAD, but certainly not the best WAD ever. Provided me with a few minutes of entertainment at least.

If you want chilling, read the text files.

If uaclabs was on /idgames and it was made by a different author, I'd write "I liked it - COOL" and rate it 5/5. I liked the gameplay and the design and the gorier sprites. But their real-life massacre certainly was terrible and wrong.

Well it did make sense to Eric, having read some of his journals. I consider it a shame that he couldn't see past the end of high school or petty politics with his peers, because I actually like UAC, and would go so far to say as it's the most fun I've ever had with a pwad.

I have to say that there was always something weird about this boy. When he was on AOL ANTAGONIST he would always be quick to fling insults at anyone dissing his shitty BRICKS.WAD. He also had a signature a mile long full of retarded momma jokes that never made sense. I'm amazed the little shit didnt get TOSed a long time ago for posting some vile words and "stalking" people that called him out on his bullshit. He had a little patsy I think that went by "nod" or "zod or something that would intentionally flood messageboards with the infamous Methodus/TOAD hack tools. AOL SRS BNS Maaaan!

The map's not that bad. It's too bad he and his lackey decided to kill a bunch of innocent people instead of continuing killing the Doom demons and making more maps...

The WAD never impressed me that much - the "enhanced" death animations just struck me as cheesy, and I don't have an issue with stuff like the Nashgore mod. The problem is that this WAD (and his shite DM levels) will always be overshadowed by what the self-obsessed prick and his mate did to those kids.

"Whatever happened to 'CRAZY'?" - Chris Rock

scalliano said:

The WAD never impressed me that much - the "enhanced" death animations just struck me as cheesy, and I don't have an issue with stuff like the Nashgore mod. The problem is that this WAD (and his shite DM levels) will always be overshadowed by what the self-obsessed prick and his mate did to those kids.

I'm not sure self-obsessed quite covers it. He wrote extensively about other people. Usually not in a good light, but sometimes. He had values, I think the problem was how ready he was to mete out violence. And he certainly didn't, wouldn't, or couldn't see much further than the shallowest parts of people, where he found a lot to revile. Anyway enough babbling on.

It's alright, i suppose. I quite liked the unified theme of the "gate to hell hasn't been closed" and it actually looks like a huge teleporter which gets packed with monsters - that was a really cool piece of design, and kind of "showed" the text-file "story" of the map as an actual event in the map. For the time that was very rare! I also liked the alternate deaths and went as far as stealing them for a wad i was half-arsedly making called "Kinetic Doom", which i lost in a crash.

its kinda blah for a map for a game that was the primary cause for his terrible actions on society. why did you make him kill people, doom?? why???

I voted "actually quite good!", because I knew about this 2 level wad, where the levels are quite detailed, I don't know whether it was "UAC Labs", but I think you mean this one and not the one at "worst wad" here on doomworld with the invisible monsters[EDIT: It's not there anymore, maybe I overlooked something. Now there is only the detailed wad I meant]. Ha! Eric could have been one great mapper, but now he is just rotten, lol :-). We should make a doom wad dedicated to him with his face in a grave with excrements.

Disregarding the author, in my opinion uaclabs was not that bad. But wasn't that good either. Compared to others WADs of it's time, my honest rating would be an average 3/5. This WAD was his best work from what I've seen.

Use3D said:

Weak, even for it's time.

Agreed.
Bloodier sprites are a good idea but it's badly done here, imho.

I've actually got "outdoors.wad" deathmatch that is apparently missing or unreleased. The person who has the archive and released the few of his maps ignored one zip, because they had obviously tried to run it with Doom 2, when the map replaces E1M1.

If your interested in collecting'em all, I'll send link to the area in the archive at Acolumbinesite.com

How do you know that file's legit? I've seen a few wadfiles which claimed to be the infamous realdoom.wad but they always ended up being fake.

I have played the level once again and all I can see is it's actually better than I thought, I actually like some of the architecture and the traps/secrets.

One thing that bothers me now. I tried to find all the secret and I am at 9/10 now. To find the last one I opened the level with doombuilder and start searching for sectors with 9:secret effect in the find&replace. Doombuilder reports 9 such sectors. Zdoom tells me 9/10 secrets. How the fuck did he do that? I haven't seen such a thing in a Doom WAD before, to have more secrets but not being able to find in a WAD editor? How???

Optimus said:

I haven't seen such a thing in a Doom WAD before, to have more secrets but not being able to find in a WAD editor? How???

It's nothing more than a bug...

One thing I have noticed is that the second level of this WAD has also 10 secrets which you can actually find all this time. So maybe something was screwed up in the WAD file and the total number of secrets from MAP02 were displayed for MAP01 too. I would like to investigate (just out of technical curiosity of what's causing the bug, I haven't seen something like that when playing a WAD before and I have played soooo much) but I am too busy with other stuff now :P

Stop feeding the troll, guys.

This map was pretty lame. I can recall getting trapped in a secret room near the beginning. I can also recall being put up against ridiculously massive hordes of monsters without nearly enough ammo to take them out.

Oh, and finding a Cyberdemon in the second room is never a good sign.

As for Eric Harris himself, he was a sociopath. Sociopaths do wacky things. I don't blame Doom, if anything Doom has prevented me from wanting to shoot people. Not that I ever would, of course.

It's a reasonable WAD that gets far more attention than it, in itself, deserves due to the actions of its author.