Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Geonightman

Ghostbusters Doom: Looking for Mappers and Decorate Programmers.

Well we have already seen that there is a way to pull baddies. I don't think that is a problem. As far as the Ecto-1 goes, we either scrap it completely, fix its flaws, or use it differently.

Thought of some cartoony type monsters to use

The zombie and axe baby from zombies ate my neighbors,plus i was thinking some time over this weekend i'll do a 1700's type figure

I also suggest that most enemies be transparent,to add the ghost effect

trooper077 said:

Thought of some cartoony type monsters to use

The zombie and axe baby from zombies ate my neighbors,plus i was thinking some time over this weekend i'll do a 1700's type figure

Personally i'm not too keen on the idea of having zombies as enemies, did you ever see zombies in the films?

trooper077 said:

I also suggest that most enemies be transparent,to add the ghost effect

In my opinion they should be transparent aswell as glow with their respective colour (dynamic lightning) like Slimer did in the movies, but not if they are pitch black.

As far as the gameplay is concerned, we should try and keep it simple. Here's my idea:

5 levels based of the first movie and 5 levels based of the second and possibly some extra levels for DeathMatch/Secret level purposes (based of locations from other scary movies?). Gameplay wise, you start investigating ghost sightings which involves walking around in mostly badly lit areas armed with PKE Meter and Night Vision Goggles with plenty of cheap scares (things falling over, creepy ambience sounds, etc.). Ghosts should probably most of the time appear as if out of nowehere when you least expect it. Later as the story comes together its just a matter of blasting ghosts as you make your way to the boss(es). Some simple puzzles could be used, but nothing overly complicated aswell as mission objectives. You make your way to the ECTO-1 to go somewhere but is not a vehicle you can drive just a means of transport (like in HACX). I could write a worksheet for the levels and gameplay if you like.

Possible maps for DM and Secrets:

Location - From
--------------------------
Cabin - Evil Dead
Bates Motel - Psycho
Overlook Motel - The Shining
Mall - Dawn of the Dead & Dead Rising
Raccoon City - Resident Evil
R.P.D. H.Q. - Resident Evil 2 / 3 / Outbreak File# 2
Mansion - Resident Evil / REmake / Zer0
Camp Crystal Lake - Friday the 13th

And before we continue. We have to do one of the most important things to do in a TC/Megawad. EASTER EGGS! :D I personally am thinking maybe small things like looking in a window or broken door at one of the hotels and seeing the L4D survivors. Since it is a "horror" wad after all I think this would be important.

As for glowing and that, that's your department. I don't know a thing about programming a wad. I am very good at maps and details, i just have 3 "n00bish" questions about mapping, how you do the following 4 things in map making:

Slopes
Text In and In between levels (Like on Dead Simple on Doom 2)
Floor over Floor (as in bridges and grates)
Moving Floors (Like for waterfalls and flowing liquids)

I'm using Doombuilder 2

Geonightman said:

Possible maps for DM and Secrets:

Location - From
--------------------------
Cabin - Evil Dead
Bates Motel - Psycho
Overlook Motel - The Shining
Mall - Dawn of the Dead & Dead Rising
Raccoon City - Resident Evil
R.P.D. H.Q. - Resident Evil 2 / 3 / Outbreak File# 2
Mansion - Resident Evil / REmake / Zer0
Camp Crystal Lake - Friday the 13th

Hey, don't forget the Titanic. Remember it did make a brief appearance in Ghostbusters 2. I'm not too hot on the idea of using locations from other games though as movie location would be more recgonizable by the average joe. As for the level stuff, can't really help you there.

Geonightman said:

And before we continue. We have to do one of the most important things to do in a TC/Megawad. EASTER EGGS! :D I personally am thinking maybe small things like looking in a window or broken door at one of the hotels and seeing the L4D survivors. Since it is a "horror" wad after all I think this would be important.

Not something i would put any priority on. C'mon, is not the most important thing in a TC/Megawad, that staement is just plain silly. That is something that should be considered at a later date when the project actually begins to take shape.

I think our primary goal should be to settle on a gameplay style. Without any idea of what sort of gameplay we want, this will never take off. Getting caught up in using fancy port effects is one thing, but on the other hand, as Scuba Mentioned, this should be Ghostbusters IN Doom not Doom that looks kinda like Ghostbusters.

That said, here are my ideas:

-Gameplay-
Maps ought to be large and non linear. The Ghosts ought to run from the player so it would be necessary to chase ghosts down. The primary component of gameplay should be trying to find ghosts. Perhaps like invasion style maps where the focus is to capture X number of ghosts and then return of the headquarters. Smaller Ghosts should be killable to retain some Doom-like gameplay. Larger ghosts/bosses must be "captured" and put into ghost traps.

-Weapons-
PKE Meter - should ONLY serve to detect ghosts. No firing. It will simply light up more when ghosts are near. This applies only to visible ghosts.

Gigameter - Should detect invisible ghosts. I think it ought to have a 'flash' function that will make invisible ghosts visible for a few seconds. The flash should be recharge, very, very slowly

Ecto Resonance Detector - I don't see this as being useful for anything. The only idea I had would be to act as a 'ghost call' so that you can attract ghosts to your location.

Neutrona Blaster - could act as a 'stun gun' for bigger enemies and would evaporate smaller ones. possibly useful for destroying zombies too. I like the idea of being able to find 'upgrades' for this gun that do different things. make them really hard to find secrets though

Proton Pack: should be used for mainly blasting ghosts. if we use ZDoom, this should have a slight 'pull' a la strife's loreshot so that you can drag enemies into a ghost trap. alternate fire will set off ghost trap.

Ghost Trap: Simple. Remote detonated ghost trap. Very powerful. Useful mainly for larger enemies.

I don't see ECTO-1 or the Tazer being useful at all.

Ghosts should range from 'cannon fodder' to 'this motherfucker needs to be ghost trapped.' As mentioned earlier, I feel smaller ghosts should be visible and run away from the player, primarily to be used as target practice for the proton pack or the Neutrona Blaster. Medium Bad guys should be invisible and only become visible when using the gigameter, attacking or being zapped by a weapon. Maps should have monster shortcuts (walls that only monsters can pass) so that ghosts can move freely about. Also gives the player incentive to find keys and such to get through doors that ghosts can get through.

Don't worry Cee. I know my priorities. I know Easter Eggs aren't too big of a thing. I was just saying it as a joke mainly. I like all of your suggestions Pat, They do make sense. As for whats important Cee, i think it goes more like this from most to least.

Permission from Scuba Steve (We did that)

Create a team (We currently have Geonightman [me], CeeJay, Patrick, and trooper077)

A concept (We are currently working on this, this is what we are discussing in the forum about right now)

Designate Jobs (Eg. Play testers, Programmers)

Maps

Programming

Sprites and Art

Easter eggs

Some more gameplay ideas:

Hub-based map (or something similar) with the ECTO-1 sprite as a way to return to Ghostbusters HQ to restock. only when all ghosts have been captured can you deposit them and move onto the next mission.

In Batman Doom, it was cool how you could always find some cool secret stuff every time you returned to the Bat Cave. Something like that would be fun to implement.

but does anyone have any gameplay feedback at all? I'm sure ya'll are jumping to get started with all the cool zdoom features that are out there and such, but what are some other ideas ya'll have had? I'd love to hear some suggestions.

Patrick said:

Some more gameplay ideas:

Hub-based map (or something similar) with the ECTO-1 sprite as a way to return to Ghostbusters HQ to restock. only when all ghosts have been captured can you deposit them and move onto the next mission.

In Batman Doom, it was cool how you could always find some cool secret stuff every time you returned to the Bat Cave. Something like that would be fun to implement.

but does anyone have any gameplay feedback at all? I'm sure ya'll are jumping to get started with all the cool zdoom features that are out there and such, but what are some other ideas ya'll have had? I'd love to hear some suggestions.

The two first ideas sound great,and if theres any gameplay intergraited into the game would be a brand new looking ghostbusters HQ,Also something that has a feeling of doom,but contains the heart of a ghostbusters fanboy,when the gray lady scares the team out of the libary,it needs to feel like they just ran out of the libary,when statepuff is climbing the side of the building,it needs to look like hes climbing it.

Pr we could do a completely different storyline like the new game did or just a 10 level megawad of bustin ghosts with some cameos from the movie.

Two more things to add to the list,NONE of the old maps should be used

And either the title screan or the end game needs to have the actually ghostbusters theme song,not the midi version,but the actual ray parker jr version

Bustin should make you feel good!!

We can't use the actual Ray Parker Jr. song because of copyright issues. But perhaps an instrumental version in OGG format or something.

I am currently writting a concept document for the project, which details all of the aspects of the project: Weapons, equipment, enemies, gameplay, levels, etc. Of course, this is mostly based on my own opinions but also i've taken ideas that have been posted in this thread. Should have it finished by tomorrow if it is of any interest.

CeeJay said:

We can't use the actual Ray Parker Jr. song because of copyright issues. But perhaps an instrumental version in OGG format or something.

Couldn't we just givee credit to ray parker jr and the record company,claiming no rights to the song?

trooper077 said:

Couldn't we just givee credit to ray parker jr and the record company,claiming no rights to the song?

Hehe, if only things were that simple. No, we would have to pay the company who holds the right to the song otherwise they could sue us. Look up Copyright on Wikipedia. And besides i can't see a use for the complete actual song in a game. Should be an instrumental version.

I like the idea of using a mod tracker or an impulse tracker. but what does music have to do with core gameplay?

Patrick said:

I like the idea of using a mod tracker or an impulse tracker. but what does music have to do with core gameplay?

Nothing, who said it does?

Oh ffs... the entire mod is "illegal" if you want to go that way. Use the fucking Ray Parker Jr. Song and nobody will care.

Scuba Steve said:

Oh ffs... the entire mod is "illegal" if you want to go that way. Use the fucking Ray Parker Jr. Song and nobody will care.

SHAKA LAKA BABY,ITS IN BY THE FACT THAT IT JUST NEEDS TO BE IN!!!!

(Plus i don't think someone will sue over putting the song in the wad)

I've been sorting thru the GBD2 resources. Here's what needs to happen:

WEAPONS:
-I need to rework the sprites to make them consistent with the redraw of the proton pack that scuba did. I think this should be fairly easy to do, so I'll add some new arms to them.

--PKE Meter: I would be cool to add an animation for the 'wings' opening/closing
--Gigameter: I'll add some more animations to make this a little more slick
--Ecto-Resonance Detector: I wont touch this until we make a decision on it
--Neutrona Blaster looks good as is.

More to come

But isn't the Gigameter simply a Giger Meter for detecting radioactivity?

EDIT: Gigametre or Gigameter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigametre

I think we should just drop the whole idea of using the "Gigameter" and just stick to the PKE Meter.

Anyhow, i will be posting some pictures here soon with stuff that can be used including a modified slime blower with the new sleeve used in the updated pack Steve posted.

Don't worry about being sued. Rampage Edition though it sucked had a grate soundtrack and almost every song was illegally in it.

I support the idea of some ghosts being invisible and needing the PKE meter to uncover them before they can be hurt.

Also: don't forget the C64 version of the game, which should be a good supply of useful sprites.

Bucket said:

I support the idea of some ghosts being invisible and needing the PKE meter to uncover them before they can be hurt.

But how could that possibly work in practise, i ask myself. Like i've said earlier, we should try and keep things simple unless we can immiedately figure out a way it could be done.

Bucket said:

Also: don't forget the C64 version of the game, which should be a good supply of useful sprites.

You are joking, right? The Commodore 64 game? It's like less than 16 colours and was made and released way, way back in the early to mid 80's. I don't think so.

Like promised, here are some resources that could be used.

Extended PKE Detector (the sleeve doesn't need to be seen in-game)

Modified Slime Blower with new sleeve

Steam animation for the Proton Gun when it overheats.

A ghost-like creature, made by Eriance, that could fit in pretty well.

CeeJay said:

But how could that possibly work in practise, i ask myself. Like i've said earlier, we should try and keep things simple unless we can immiedately figure out a way it could be done.

Monster replacement or pain states/special states could work.

Say you make a monster that's invisible and invulnerable to anything but the detector, you then make the detector have a radius attack that only affects these monsters. If the detector is used with monsters in range, they're replaced by whatever monster they're set for. It would require extra monster script per monster, but could give one-for-one proxies.

Then as a more convoluted solution, use pain states or a special state for each monster. You could make the normal state sprites invisible/clear with maybe some indicator like a little ball of light. Then when the detector is used (or you get a lucky shot), the monster is pained into a long pain state animation that lets it attack and stuff, or is put into a special 'detected' state with its own frames to attack and stuff.

Probably not the greatest solutions but they're ideas ...

trooper077 said:

Couldn't we use the second function of the new proton pack instead of a slime blower?

The goal is to base it off the original two movies. So, no. However i am thinking of variations of the proton pack like in the new game.

Also like promised before, here is a little something i cooked up as a demonstration for EDGE 1.34, just to showcase what could be possible if EDGE would become the choosen port for the mod.

http://www.multiupload.com/0IXCROW3LQ

Note: To toggle the goggles on and off use the action 1 button, default is [

They have limited power but will automatically recharge while not in use.

To activate a trap laid on the floor use the secondary attack for any of the weapons.

Before any progress is done to this mod,I need to know 2 things

A.whos really committed to finishing this
B.Whos making the maps

trooper077 said:

Before any progress is done to this mod,I need to know 2 things

A.whos really committed to finishing this
B.Whos making the maps

I don't know, but i'm in it to the end aslong as others are. As for the maps, not my department. So far, i seem to be the only one has actually delivered anything.