Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inhuman Strain

Doomworld Metal Thread (surely Doomers enjoy metal)

I've always loved music of all sorts, from electronic/ambient to rock to jazz to baroque to Celtic folk. However, the one that has generally moved, excited, and interested me the most has always been metal. I'm always fascinated by the genre's unashamed flirtations with melancholy, taboo subjects, dark themes, violence, technicality, experimentation, raw abrasion, and unapologetic anarchy. As these are recurring themes/traits of Doom, I figured I'd chalk up a thread about it: Anyone interested in metal music of any kind, come here and discuss it (favorite bands, influence, preferences, etc).

I usually lean more into experimental thrash vein, and usually like it with a punk edge (since that's where I discovered music). I appreciate a lot of the obvious "mainstream" metal bands aped by Bobby Prince in Doom's soundtrack (Metallica, Slayer, Black Sabbath, Alice In Chains, etc). However, I have as of late taken a great interest in a lot of the more underground bands such as:

Venom
Voivod
Bathory
Nocturnus
Engine
Mind-A-Stray
Sodom
Celtic Frost
DRI
Qwestion
Edguy
Crumbsuckers
Godflesh
Green Jelly (more of a silly joke band, I know, but skilled in the art of catchy metal riffage)
Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh (this guy releases dozens of low-budget bedroom black metal demos a year, and most of them suck, but every once in a while he produces a really good one)

Thoughts?

I enjoy power metal, NWOBHM, and some industrial-metal. I'll listen to thrash metal or groove metal like Pantera occasionally.

I can not, and will not, listen to the extreme forms of metal ever again. It's not just because of the music. Strap in and listen to this one.

Summer camp, 9 o'clock at night. it had been hot that day, and humid, and pretty much horrible. Little did we know it would only get worse. Someone has successfully pulled a prank on cabin #3. The prank? Hide the turd.

This was after all of us were soaked in mud and sweat, and perhaps blood. we all get inside , but just after getting in, a scream comes from No. 3. naturally we all rush there to see what the hell was going on.

The scenario? Olfactory rape. It took us almost an hour to discover someone had taken some godawful baby diapers and had hidden them in the cabin. the smell was horrible. I cannot describe it other than an atomic bomb to the olfactory.

Sitting in the corner in nothing but boxers is the camp master's son. he was lying in my friend's bunk with a GhettoBlaster playing some fucking-retarded white noise of death/black/grindcore/whateverthefuck metal. It sounded like Cookie monster having an aneurysm backed by 500 purposefully-untuned electric guitars thrashing absolute dissonance while a drumset went through a grain thresher. he looks up with a shit-eating grin and says "Hey, I dunno who did it, man. I just was listening to the music."

Music my ass. That music was the aural version of those godawful shitbombs we know were planted by him. We searched 30 minutes to find them all, some actually hidden under a plank by the door. To top it off, this was the first time I had actually heard such ... audio, and it's forever engraved into my cortex as "music to listen to while smelling shit".

After all this shit went down, the jerkstore who didn't help that night was trying to tell us how metal was a life changer for him- it wasn't just any metal, but "Christian" metal. Apparently, we were searching for nuclear baby waste whilst hearing "U GOTTA HAVE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAITH" over and over again.

So when some metalhead comes up to me and says "heyy man listen to this doesn't that just rock?" I can only say, "It sounds like baby diapers."

Yes we do but ... [FLAMEWAR WARNING] ...

... what is metal, and what is not?

Does X have the Metal nature?

I like metal - but that explicitly excludes all the more extreme subgenres.

Death Metal et.al. just sound like noise to me (great story, Csonicgo, btw... :D)

LOOOOOL Great story Csonicgo!!!

On topic, I am not a habitual Metal listener but it does get its days with me. I have a "Doom Metal" CD which includes all the tracks which Doom music was based on -basically a compilation of Metallica, Alice in Chains, Panthera, AC/DC etc.) and have also a tape of it for my car.

Surely we've had enough metal threads by now?

EDIT: Fuck it, I'll just link my last.fm again.

eargosedown said:

covers more than originals, when well done... such as....

Pretty good, but relatively pointless since it sounds almost exactly the same as the Megadeth version but with weaker vocals. I prefer that covers add something instead of just playing the song the same way another band already did.

destx said:

Surely we've had enough metal threads by now.

OH NO YOU NEED MOAR METAL THAN THE AVERAGE DW RUNT BECAUSE YOU'RE FUCKING EXTREME AND YOU WEIGH 500 LBS OF PURE LEAN MEAN MEAT MUSCLE FIBERS AND YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO POWERFUL HEAVY METAL WHEN YOU DO LIKE 10000 BENCH PRESS 5000 LBS REPS !!!1!!! POWAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

I was just thinking about the other metal thread the other day. Oh well, since I'm here, everybody listen to this:

One of the best metal albums (if not the best) to come out this year so far. Except that terrible fucking Wayakin track.

Graf Zahl said:

I like metal - but that explicitly excludes all the more extreme subgenres.

Death Metal et.al. just sound like noise to me (great story, Csonicgo, btw... :D)

This. What I like most in metal are some longer, epic songs with more emphasis on composition, song progression and melody, rather than "normal" songs that are just played with distortion guitars and fast tempo.

Danarchy said:

Devin Townsend and Strapping Young Lad. That's all you need.

Fuck yea thats the best

anyways I listen to a ton of different types music from ambient to heavy death/black metal but I'd have to say my favorite type of metal is Thrash (Forbidden,Evile....ect)

chungy said:

book of heavy metal

that is the one of cheesist metal songs ever

I love Metal, but I don't wear band t-shirts. It's fucking embarrassing.

I'm more into Punk right now, but nothing beats Bolt Thrower, IMHO.

I used to love metal, especially the more older sounding stuff like Judas Priest, Sodom, King Diamond and Iron Maiden (as well as some other bands and some that are barely known). But since more than over a year I can`t enjoy it as much as I did back then anymore. Maybe I grew out of it. I am now more into acoustic blues/southern rock stuff, kinda like the music Zakk Wylde is making. But who knows if that will change again.

I've been getting more into Cannibal Corpse these last few weeks. I think that's pretty metal. Then to, if you want to hear some metal that sounds even more evil, go listen to some Deicide, Vital Remains or Disgorge.
Also, I'm sure at least one of you folks has heard of this band Opeth? They really really kick ass. Absolutely one of my favorite metal bands of all time, no question.
I like metal music, I like the themes and the music itself obviously. Human beings will always be attracted to the dark side of our nature, whether they want to admit or not.

Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Demons & Wizards
Gwar
X-Cops
Horse the Band
Samhain
Danzig
Type O Negative
King Diamond
Mercyful Fate
Ten Masked Men
Rammstein
Dying Fetus
Hellhammer
Helstar
Hammerfall
Opeth
In Flames
Haggard
Amon Amarth
Stratovarius
Nightwish
3 Inches of Blood

Plus a lot of common gimmes (Metallica, Pantera, SOAD, etc).

I'm almost pure metal, but I don't run around covered in studded leather and band shirts. I own one Iced Earth shirt, but I think it was stolen. I do own a lot of chains, bracelets, wristbands, collars, finger armor and misc jewelry, but I keep it to one or two pieces in public. I play drums, but I'm currently bandless.

I love Iced Earth, especially their earlier releases like Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings. Part of me wishes they stuck with that more complex/progressive style of writing, but Schaffer still dishes out some of the meatiest riffs this side of metaldom.

What I like most in metal are some longer, epic songs with more emphasis on composition, song progression and melody, rather than "normal" songs that are just played with distortion guitars and fast tempo.

Definitely. Though I can still listen to angrier, more direct stuff when I'm in the mood, I'll always prefer stuff that comes out of bands like Orphaned Land, In Vain (that song I posted is a prime example), early-mid Iced Earth, Opeth, etc.

I used to listen to Anthrax, Megadeth and Iron Maiden in High School. Though it was strictly Joey Belladonna-era Anthrax. As far as Maiden goes, I liked their first two albums the most. I didn't really think so at the time, but I say Bruce Dickinson's ridiculous and everything they did after 1986 was pretty terrible.

These days, I listen to a bit of Judas Priest and Megadeth now and then (Mostly "So far so good so what" and earlier. It still holds up.) No metal aside from that.

I listen many different kinds of music, and yes I do love metal. Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, and Danzig to name a few.

What is this "I grew out of it" bullshit? Posers ;D

If anything I`ve grown even more into it over the years.

I`m totally into old school extreme metal. To name some of the more known ones: Celtic Frost, Obituary, Autopsy, old Sepultura, old Suffocation, Sodom, Repulsion, Death Strike, Kreator, Demolition Hammer, Venom, Bathory, Darkthrone bla bla the list goes on. Also tons upon tons of underground bands.

I ABSOLUTELY DREAD stuff like Opeth, Rammstein, Nightwish, all power metal, Dimmu Borgir, The Kovenant etc. *vomits*

edit: I aldo like good old heavy metal like Dio, Judas Priest, and some other stuff, which I grew up on

Maes said:

OH NO YOU NEED MOAR METAL THAN THE AVERAGE DW RUNT BECAUSE YOU'RE FUCKING EXTREME AND YOU WEIGH 500 LBS OF PURE LEAN MEAN MEAT MUSCLE FIBERS AND YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO POWERFUL HEAVY METAL WHEN YOU DO LIKE 10000 BENCH PRESS 5000 LBS REPS !!!1!!! POWAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Maes, you win this thread.

Also, I'm just glad I've never heard any nu-metal that suposedly sounds like the cookie monster having an aneurysm while a drumset is spinning in a clothes dryer. I would consider myself open-minded in that I'll look into something when I hear about it. That's how I aquire tastes for not-so-popular bands like Rammstein and Helloween.

The reason I don't like "extreme" metal is because if I wanted to hear some freak screaming for an hour, I'd be doing it myself. And if I wanted to hear a drumset going through a wheat thresher, I'd probably save money and just find a metal garbage can and bang on it randomly.

Now if I did both and recorded a video of myself doing it then posted it on YouTube...

I can see the title now..."I make BROOTAL MOOZIK!!!!1!!1!"

I would probably just say its a parody though.

My interest overall in Metal has dulled over the years, but there are plenty of people I still love listening to, more on the technical end of the spectrum. Behold... the Arctopus. Dillinger Escape Plan (mostly their early stuff, though the later isn't horrible: Their "Irony is a Dead Scene" with Mike Patton is easily my favorite EP ever, of any band.) Speaking of Patton, sure, Fantomas, and his other projects if you can call many of them "metal." Darkane I love, especially "Rusted Angel." I'm not particularly well versed with Devin Townsend stuff, but most of it I've heard is good. A pretty reasonable amount of other stuff too.

I just go less for the "it's heavy, therefore good" philosophy nowadays. Back in high school days, and when using the Internet to find music, you could find a band like Cradle of Filth and be like "omg holy shit gr8 band dude" because you really didn't have any other options. Now I know better, shit like that is horrible.

Hell yeah to Behold...the Arctopus. I enjoy them as well, though I wasn't sure if they qualified as metal. Same with Don Caballero and Dysrhythmia.

Kagemaru_H said:

The reason I don't like "extreme" metal is because if I wanted to hear some freak screaming for an hour, I'd be doing it myself. And if I wanted to hear a drumset going through a wheat thresher, I'd probably save money and just find a metal garbage can and bang on it randomly.

Pherhaps if you actually tried listening to death/black metal (you obviously haven't) you'd realise that other metal genres have a lot more depth than the shallow, stagnant pool that is power metal.

However, if you really can't handle anything other than power metal, I suggest you at least find some good bands within the genre. I recommend Balance of Power and Virgin Steele.

Also props to you and Csonicgo for making two of the dumbest posts I've ever read on DW.

I hope this thread doesn't devolve into a "hey guys i just came to the metal thread to tell you guys in the metal thread that like metal that i hate metal and it sucks because i dont like it and you're all idoits for liking it. its just banging noises and screaming durrr oh i just shat myself again" thread.