Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inhuman Strain

Doomworld Metal Thread (surely Doomers enjoy metal)

destx said:

Pherhaps if you actually tried listening to death/black metal (you obviously haven't) you'd realise that other metal genres have a lot more depth than the shallow, stagnant pool that is power metal.

However, if you really can't handle anything other than power metal, I suggest you at least find some good bands within the genre. I recommend Balance of Power and Virgin Steele.

Also props to you and Csonicgo for making two of the dumbest posts I've ever read on DW.

I hope this thread doesn't devolve into a "hey guys i just came to the metal thread to tell you guys in the metal thread that like metal that i hate metal and it sucks because i dont like it and you're all idoits for liking it. its just banging noises and screaming durrr oh i just shat myself again" thread.

mlyp

What I got off that post is "hurr power metal is shit and ur an idoit for liking it its all shallow and its for wusses durrr oh i just shit myself agin"

Name one good death metal band, I'll YouTube a few of their songs and post them here with what I think.

No power metal or NWOBHM video I've seen had some argument about Metallica being better than everyone else.

You're an idiot not because you like hearing the sound of some freak screaming while banging on a garbage can, but because you act like some retarded fanboy arguing about XBox being better than PS3 (or in this case, your aural pollution being somehow deeper than power metal). Grow the fuck up. Everyone's entitled to their opinions, and I wasn't even attacking death metal or black metal, I was attacking nu-metal and you're arguing about death/black metal with me in your head. You sound like some metal-head in middle-school.

And as you claim, Csonicgo and I are idiots because we dislike aural pollution, but you stated that you hope that this thread didn't devolve into some guy going in saying it's just random banging, but you pretty much managed to bring it to that level by attacking power metal, which proves you're only a fucking idiot, but you're a hypocrite as well.

P.S. I am never posting from my cell phone again. It took nearly an hour to make something I could have done in five minutes on computer.

Meh, I don't get what it is that people dislike about CoF so much. Cruelty and the Beast and Midian are good albums.

Anyways, I've moved on. I still listen to some of the stuff I enjoyed in high school, like Iced Earth, Black Sabbath, Moonspell, Rammstein, Amon Amarth, LTE, Testament, Behemoth, Kat and Turbo but most of the music I have on my mp3 player nowadays is somewhere between

and

Kagemaru_H said:
What I got off that post is...

Okay, your reading comprehension needs some work. Good luck with that.

Name one good death metal band

No, I don't think that's a good idea, you've obviously taken the counterpoint here and you'll just pretend to hate it either way. Better that you discover bands for yourself at your own pace. Just don't discredit the genre entirely because you had a couple of bad experiences.

No power metal or NWOBHM video I've seen had some argument about Metallica being better than everyone else.

Um, ok? great.

I wasn't even attacking death metal or black metal, I was attacking nu-metal

You said extreme metal. Numetal is not extreme metal, black and death are. If you're going to fuck up your terms I can't help that.

attacking power metal

I called it shallow and stagnant. That's not an attack, it's honest criticism. The genre is not very broad and it hasn't really done anything interesting in a long time.

If you're going to reply to me, try to come up with a well construced and level-headed arguement instead of getting all excited and calling me an idiot over and over. I would prefer to keep this thread civil.

Kagemaru_H said:

Maes, you win this thread.

Also, I'm just glad I've never heard any nu-metal that suposedly sounds like the cookie monster having an aneurysm while a drumset is spinning in a clothes dryer. I would consider myself open-minded in that I'll look into something when I hear about it. That's how I aquire tastes for not-so-popular bands like Rammstein and Helloween.

The reason I don't like "extreme" metal is because if I wanted to hear some freak screaming for an hour, I'd be doing it myself. And if I wanted to hear a drumset going through a wheat thresher, I'd probably save money and just find a metal garbage can and bang on it randomly.

Now if I did both and recorded a video of myself doing it then posted it on YouTube...

I can see the title now..."I make BROOTAL MOOZIK!!!!1!!1!"

I would probably just say its a parody though.

That post implies you are 12 years old. Time to grow up, boy.

destx said:

Surely we've had enough metal threads by now?

Yeah, where's the dance threads at? Surely I'm not the only one on these boards...

Back on topic, I do like metal but mostly 80's stuff like Maiden, Metallica, Slayer etc. plus some 90's stuff like Fear Factory.

Belial said:

most of the music I have on my mp3 player nowadays is somewhere between Apoptygma Berzerk and Showtek

Now a mixture of those two would be awesome :P (I always like it when metal crosses over into dance, especially when it's faster and/or harder stuff)

Thanks for the Wikipedia page. It got me to the death metal page and I'm looking up some bands.

Celtic Frost looks promising. I'll take back every attack on your music genres that you flamed as blasphemy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6RXTjm4iA
Here's what I'm listening to now.

Also, can we all stop making limp-wristed slaps to each other in this thread like a bunch of fags flirting flaming each other like a bunch of fanboys? This is the kind of behavior that gets posts helled. Anyone who thinks that the sound of a garbage can in a wood chipper is quality music and won't open their minds to other music needs to GROW THE FUCK UP. I'm fucking sick of this whole argument about genres of metal and people calling each other idiots over disagreements.

Also, THERE I OPENED MY MIND TO DEATH METAL AND LIKED IT ARE YOU FUCKING HAPPY? I DON'T GIVE A FUCK BECAUSE IT ONLY TOOK A YOUTUBE SEARCH.

Heh another one of these? Been into metal for as long as I can remember, don't listen to as much of it as I used to, and generally these days I'm more into the melodic side of it. There.

Obligatory youtube vid go:

Also
http://last.fm/user/NiS2

Way too much to list, but you can see what I like in the other metal thread.

Or check out my Last.fm profile to see what I do listen to.

CODOR said:

Great band, they do have a few heavy, dark tracks. It's pathetic how many got bent out of shape over a fucking grammy award.

I am not into metal myself, but recently by brother has inexplicably become a fan (he was usually into the more classic styles of rock). He now tries to force me to listen to White Chapel and Born of Osiris. I don't like either much really, although I can at least stand Born of Osiris.

I listen to a wide range of metal styles, but my favorite over the past two years or so has been the really heavy brutal stuff, or "deathcore", like Suicide Silence, Carnifex, White Chapel, etc. It's weird, but it was like I woke up one day and said "I love blast beats and breakdowns".

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Now a mixture of those two would be awesome :P (I always like it when metal crosses over into dance, especially when it's faster and/or harder stuff)

You may like Silent Descent (a band local to me!) or Asking Alexandria then - they both are listed as "Trance Metal" and definitely have some dance style beats in there that I appreciated. Downsides of both bands is that they are new, and Asking Alexandria are definitely emo/scene in origin. If you like your vocals clean you'll have a problem with both bands as they both have screaming or other more "gutteral" vocals mixed in with more clean vocals. I think I like Silent Descent more myself, so check them on YouTube first (if they're there that is!) - and if you thought they were alright and can tolerate more emo/scene and deathcore influences, try out Asking Alexandria too I guess :)

I used to listen to and make more standard-sounding metal than I do now (hear the "shards" on my myspace http://myspace.com/timeofdeath or anything from 2000-2006), but now I like to listen to and make instrumental music that sounds jazzy/indie-rocky/math-rocky/metal-y.

But sometimes when I'm playing guitar I'll play old-school Slayer from 1982. FIGHT TILL DEATH!

destx said:

Great band, they do have a few heavy, dark tracks. It's pathetic how many got bent out of shape over a fucking grammy award.

Yeah, considering the Grammy's track record of GREAT choices.

destx said:

Also props to you and Csonicgo for making two of the dumbest posts I've ever read on DW.

Hey, It's not dumb when you realize that the brain best sorts memories by smells. Guess what comes up in my mind when I pass a ruptured sewage line?

Besides, the "metal" I heard that day could have been white noise and would have had the same musical value. It was just shitty, shitty music to begin with.

Metal is probably my favorite style of music. I'll listen to any style except Rap Metal. Death Metal is probably my favorite sub-genre if it's done right. I hate gravity rolls and that seems to be a common practice now in most Death Metal and Black Metal bands of today.

I think Dragonforce and Tyr are great. I also love the Download festival even though in the "real" metal community it's fashionable to bash it (somebody called Trading Standards because they said Faith No More were exclusive when they weren't... trading standards! for fuck's sake... you call them when a garage say they've fixed your brake discs but have actually replaced them with pizzas) because they onced booked My Chemical Romance, even though it's not a "metal festival" anyway and they got a huge crowd due to, well, being actually popular unlike Klegg Olekk from some little town in Iceland. Also MCR also played Download in 2004 but nobody noticed back then because it hadn't become fashionable to hate them.
Oh yeah while we're on the subject of pissing off metalheads emo's of both sexes are pretty hot, i love androgony... or however you spell it.
Oh yeah and these things usually go full circle. The forerunner of Download, called Monsters of Rock, had Metallica in 1985 and they got bottled to hell because Thrash was then "modern" and "pop" and all the Whitesnake lovers hated it. 10 years later Metallica were not only headlining, but the whole festival was named after them that year!
I posted the above paragraph once before and somebody's reply was "lolol metallica bought out a crap album in 1995 so anybody who saw them back then isn't really a metalhead anyway" - yeah but who actually gives that much of a shit?
Oh yeah while we're on the subject of not giving a shit, i got into Journey after the Mexican bloke joined and i really can't hear that much of a difference between then and don't care anyway - yet whenever you mention them the first reply is "original guy was better!". Well it used to be anyway, now that Glee ruined thier most famous song you can pretend to have only heard that version for ear-steaming hilarity.

deathbringer said:

Oh yeah while we're on the subject of pissing off metalheads emo's of both sexes are pretty hot, i love androgony... or however you spell it.

Some of them. Too bad emos are a crime against humanity.

Don't listen to a lot of metal like I use to but...

I'll always listen to the awesomeness of Rob Zombie :P

Other random metal bands I occasionally listen to:
System Of A Down
Disturbed
Korn
Horse The Band
Deicide
Cannibal Corpse
Slayer
Metallica
Drowning Pool
Alice in Chains

Rob/White Zombie is awesome! Always has been for me!

[i]Csonicgo (whatever the fuck his name is) wrote:
Hey, It's not dumb when you realize that the brain best sorts memories by smells. Guess what comes up in my mind when I pass a ruptured sewage line?

Besides, the "metal" I heard that day could have been white noise and would have had the same musical value. It was just shitty, shitty music to begin with.

You have much to learn, young Padawan. Death/black metal can be good if it's not just the cookie monster having an aneurysm as you've described it. Celtic Frost is the best Death Metal band I've heard so far.

A Dying God Coming Into Human Flesh

Circle of the Tyrants

These are a couple songs I like from them.

I can't really find any metal that sounds like what Csonicgo described earlier, so I'll assume YT decided to spare the internet of "music to listen to while smelling shit".

And I still like power metal and NWOBHM. You can't change that, so shove it.

Quite a few bands I like already mentioned, but on the more technical side of (I guess) thrash, I don't think anyone's mentioned Necrophagist yet. One of my favorite songs of theirs is seven. Cookie monster, but the great technical solos and rhythms make up for it 10 fold.

If you're starting off with Celtic Frost and you learn to appreciate them, then you're well on your way to cookie monster. Cookie monster rules. You should try listening to some Death. Their final four were quite innovative for the time, and are still excellent albums to this day.

goddamn arguments about metal are stupid

Csonicgo said:

After all this shit went down, the jerkstore who didn't help that night was trying to tell us how metal was a life changer for him- it wasn't just any metal, but "Christian" metal. Apparently, we were searching for nuclear baby waste whilst hearing "U GOTTA HAVE FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAITH" over and over again.

limp bizkit?