Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inhuman Strain

Doomworld Metal Thread (surely Doomers enjoy metal)

Nomad said:

As much flack as Watershed has gotten (for reasons beyond me, it is just as great as everything else they've done)

I really enjoyed Watershed. I think since they changed guitarists that the album was pretty different from what they were expecting and people don't like change. I also love their live album. I find their live songs to be better than the studio recordings.

Kalmah is one of my favorite bands. I love their new stuff but their older stuff appeals to me much more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AqoB5H2bU

All this talk of Slipknot and (god forbid) Opeth (*shudders*) forced me to make this post:

fun fact: everything Cryptopsy made after this album SUCKS!

Shameless promotion of my mate's band again... not a good recording, because the vocals sound a bit muffled, but the music is still fucking awesome.

South America, along with Germany comes up with some the best thrash nowaday's! Interviewed this band for my first zine as well.

Also enjoying my bestial South American black death thrash lately...!

Here's some of the best albums from the early 90's that the world never heard.

"The Winterlong" is my all time favorite album, well constructed, well written and with a total dedicated and vicious conviction.

Listened to Eyeless twice...wow, Slipknot sucks. Lyrics written by an angsty 16 year old. DJ contributes to them sounding retarded. Like many sucky metal bands, the only good performance was the drummer. It's unfortunate that so many good drummers support so many lackluster bands. Guitar and vocals are just ho-hum and don't match the skill of the drummer.

Other stuff was good though :P

So I'm guessing all these black/death/goregrind/blackened death/deathened black/blackened black metal bands intentionally create band logos that are nearly impossible to decipher and all end up looking pretty much the same?

Also, total lolz at bands with absolutely brilliant names such as "Anal Cunt" and "Anal Vomit". They certainly deserve a medal for those.

Well if you look closer at each logo, none of them really look the same at all, and actually aren't indecipherable. The Anal Vomit logo has scythes on either side, the Force of Darkness logo has a big inverted cross going down the middle of it, the Mega Slaughter logo is on fire etc.

Voivod's debut album does kick ass though.

magicsofa said:

Listened to Eyeless twice...wow, Slipknot sucks. Lyrics written by an angsty 16 year old. DJ contributes to them sounding retarded. Like many sucky metal bands, the only good performance was the drummer. It's unfortunate that so many good drummers support so many lackluster bands. Guitar and vocals are just ho-hum and don't match the skill of the drummer.

Other stuff was good though :P

I agree; Joey Jordison is actually a pretty decent drummer. It's too bad he's a faggot otherwise, and the rest of the band is incredibly mediocre.

AgentSpork said:

Also, total lolz at bands with absolutely brilliant names such as "Anal Cunt" and "Anal Vomit". They certainly deserve a medal for those.

Speaking of "Anal *" bands, and Joey Jordison, he was previously a part of Anal Blast before Slipknot. :P

deathbringer said:

And here we go again. Thrash wasn't "real" metal either once. Life's too short for this shit, i almost feel like giving up on metal just because most of it's fans are scum... just like i did with anything made by Apple... but metal is too awesome.

I originally wasn't going to get too much into the fight on whether nu metal is "metal" or not... but I changed my mind in hopes that I can finish it in one post instead of letting it drag itself out.

Thrash might not have been considered "real" by the lower grade metal heads and the mainstream when it started in the 80's (who all ended up dropping out of metal anyway, or they started worshipping crap like Korn and Slipknot, so either way it's not like I really care what they thought about whether thrash was real or not at the time.) Thrash was considered real by collectors, DIY metal print zines, extreme fans of metal that were tape traders at the time, basically people who were hungry for metal at the time knew it was real, it was built up by actual fans. That's what matters.

The difference is that nu metal came to be by organizations trying to blur the lines between what is metal and what isn't so they could cash in by making washed up substitutes for the real thing. You know, Nirvana at one point was also considered metal by MTV, and they're not metal.

Metal, revolves around riffs, nu metal revolves around breakdowns and choruses. Nu metal also has too many influences from outside genres such as rap, grunge, and even pop. No matter how much they disguise it with fake screams that were studio produced, and mostly pseudo tough guy lyrics, it is still isn't metal.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say your a faggot poser for liking it, just stating that I personally don't like nu metal, and it was built up through dishonesty, and that it isn't metal. It's your taste, you must listen to whatever you want to. Who cares? Just to save everyone the time of arguing over what is metal and isn't... go to http://www.metal-archives.com/ and search for it. This is the most comprehensive metal site in the world, if a band is metal, then they'll pop up.

PS. Don't bring that obnoxious Metal Hammer (A.K.A., Poser Hammer) into this either, please, they spent the middle to late 90's trying to kill off metal by bashing every band that didn't sellout into a dumbed down abomination with breakdowns all over the songs and pussy whipped vocals, whinging about broken relationships. And at one point, metal hammer even hired some stupid pretentious liberal bitch that got "offended" and threw a tantrum and gave bands "0" out of 10 every time they had lyrics that weren't politically correct. Not very credible, seeing as how metal wasn't politically correct when it started out either.

Anyway, I'm off to play some DooM. :)

I personally don't know why people get all uptight with the whole "is nu-metal really metal?" argument. If you think it is good, then listen to it. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it, simple.

I hate it when people bitch over genre's in music, just enjoy the music for how it sounds, and not for what genre it is in.

DeathevokatioN said:

Just to save everyone the time of arguing over what is metal and isn't... go to http://www.metal-archives.com/ and search for it. This is the most comprehensive metal site in the world, if a band is metal, then they'll pop up.

The opinions of elitist fanboys with a website isn't definitive proof of a band's genre. They're no better than your example of Metal Hammer for trying to narrow-mindedly exclude anything they don't approve of.

Mattfrie1 said:

I personally don't know why people get all uptight with the whole "is nu-metal really metal?" argument. If you think it is good, then listen to it. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it, simple.

I hate it when people bitch over genre's in music, just enjoy the music for how it sounds, and not for what genre it is in.

Agreed, I'm done.

DooMAD said:

The opinions of elitist fanboys with a website isn't definitive proof of a band's genre. They're no better than your example of Metal Hammer for trying to narrow-mindedly exclude anything they don't approve of.

That "Elitist" term seems to get attached onto anyone who knows their stuff when it comes to heavy metal and can back up an argument with facts these days. If you look at the genres that nu metal draws from, rapcore, pop, hardcore, grunge. It has too much other stuff fused into it to be metal. The song structures resemble that of pop structures, opening section, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, closing section. Nu metal doesn't have a sense of driving forward like metal does, and the music revolves around breakdowns, where metal revolves around riffs. This is all fact. A genre that a band plays in relates to objective information, not to opinion.

It's not that the website doesn't approve of nu metal, there are plenty of bands there that metal heads don't approve of, that are there because they have enough metal influence.

But seriously, if you enjoy nu metal, then good for you. That's your taste. The fact that it's not metal shouldn't stop you from enjoying it... should it? I'm not saying you can't post in this thread anything.

I only posted to prevent the argument going backwards and forwards over the next ten pages. Anyway, this is a boring topic to argue about so this'll be my last post about it.

To carry this on for just one more post.

Nu metal is an umbrella term coined in the mid-1990s to refer to music that blends heavy metal elements with other styles, such as hardcore punk and industrial rock.

Bands associated with nu metal derive influence from a variety of diverse styles, including electronica, funk, glam rock, gothic rock, grunge, hardcore punk, hip hop, industrial rock and jazz. While electric guitar plays a strong part in the sound of nu metal bands, turntables, sequencers and samplers also play an important part in the sound. Many nu metal bands use seven-string guitars, which are sometimes down-tuned to increase heaviness, resulting in bass guitarists using five and six-string instruments.
The lyrics of many nu metal bands focus on pain and personal alienation rather than traditional heavy metal themes.

Oh and btw Eyeless probably was not the best example. I think you should probably listen to Left Behind, it shows Corey's vocal talents as well as a bit of the heavy.

Oh and whats his face that posted:
"No matter how much they disguise it with fake screams that were studio produced"
Slipknot, has never used fake screams. During the recording of Eyeless you can pretty much hear Corey's vocal cords tearing in some of the screams! And Corey strained his vocal cords witch ended up with Slipknot softening up abit.

I haven't read this entire thread, so I'll just say some of my own thoughts on metal. I've been listening to it my whole life (since early teens or whenever I started listening to anything) and I seem to appreciate it more the older I get, rather than "growing out of it" as some seem to (which makes me wonder if they ever heard good metal to begin with).

I prefer metal that actually has a coherent, intelligent or otherwise interesting theme, musically and lyrically (unlike many bands). I used to like certain bands that I now hate, while other bands seem to stay as good as they ever were as time goes on. Of course I like other styles as well - I'm not saying I only listen to one kind, but I believe I can confidently say (after a decade or more) that metal overall has been, and still is, my favorite genre.

Here are a few:

Arch Enemy
Anathema (certain stuff of theirs, particlarly The Silent Enigma)
Bolt Thrower
Fear Factory
Mortification (preferably their older stuff)
etc.

There may be stuff by the above bands I haven't heard that I wouldn't like, and I know there are plenty of bands I would probably like (Iced Earth to name one) that I just haven't heard (or looked into) yet, but plan to eventually. In a nutshell, I find it hard to fathom a life without good metal.

Thrash wasn't "real" metal either once.

Say what? In the mid-'80s, thrash was taking the underground by storm and its rise was fueled in part by real metalheads getting pissed over glam bands being made the face of metal by the record industry. There was no metal (at least in the US) more "real" than thrash at the time. Pretty much every really dedicated metal musician in '86-87 was either in a thrash band, had been in a thrash band, or knew someone who was in a thrash band. Thrash demo tapes were spreading like wildfire, independent labels were springing up for the sole purpose of signing thrash bands, and thrash was in general a very big deal in the metal underground.

And i say that when Metallica first showed up at Monsters of Rock in 1985 all the "real" metal fans got pissed off because they weren't Black Sabbath.

The other bloke jabbered something about how Thrash fans later got into Nu-metal. No they didn't, they stayed into Thrash and when Nu-metal came along they all hated it because it wasn't Metallica.

But of course all that shit was 10 years ago and now Nu-metal is accepted as part of the wider spectrum of metal by almost everybody. Tell a rap/pop/dance fan about Slipknot or Korn and see what the response is.

Oh and i don't like Nu-metal, it's crap.

deathbringer said:

And i say that when Metallica first showed up at Monsters of Rock in 1985 all the "real" metal fans got pissed off because they weren't Black Sabbath.

Those weren't real metal fans, look at the lineup for that 1985 fest. ZZ Top, Marillion, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Ratt, Magnum. The only band that's metal here is Metallica, ofcourse fans of Bon Jovi wouldn't have enjoyed an ACTUAL metal band at the time.

deathbringer said:

The other bloke jabbered something about how Thrash fans later got into Nu-metal. No they didn't, they stayed into Thrash and when Nu-metal came along they all hated it because it wasn't Metallica.

Thanks for editing your post and changing my name from twat to bloke. heh. But seriously, we can keep this civil can't we? You misread here though, I jabbered something about the people that condemned thrash later leaving to go listen to nu metal, or leave the genre entirely. But since I've seen that lineup I can say that these people weren't metal heads to start with. Just opinionated Bon Jovi fans.

deathbringer said:

But of course all that shit was 10 years ago and now Nu-metal is accepted as part of the wider spectrum of metal by almost everybody.

Actually, a lot of people are starting to wake up and realize that nu metal was just a giant cash in, and are getting more and more informed in this age where they can dig into the history of metal in the comfort of doing it behind their computer. The most comprehensive metal site in the world, http://www.metal-archives.com which has currently 73519 bands, and 164777 registered users doesn't list nu metal as metal, so I wouldn't say it's accepted by almost everybody. Nu metal is a form of rock, not metal.

deathbringer said:

Tell a rap/pop/dance fan about Slipknot or Korn and see what the response is.

That doesn't mean anything though, because there will always be people that have different tastes based on their own personal experiences. Just because the singers from nu metal rap in some of the songs it doesn't mean a rapper would enjoy it... they'll get turned off by the "brootal" guitars. A pop jock doesn't like people that dress up funny, so he'll relate them to the music and say "fuck that devils music" without giving it a chance. If it does mean anything though I know a lot of nu metal fans that dropped out of rock and cut their hair and are enjoying disco and rap now. Ask a fan of jazz whether or not they enjoy Athiest (a band that fuses the elements and song structures of jazz into death metal), I doubt that every single jazz fan will actually say yes. Ask every metal fan whether or not they enjoy classical music or blues. Most will say they hate it and that it's "gay", but that's what metal was first inspired by. So just because some genres are related, doesn't mean that if you enjoy one of them you'll instantly enjoy the other.

Nomad said:

I like it. France actually has had some surprisingly good acts come out of their strange, strange country.

I concur. So I'll just post some I like:

darkreaver said:

Nah, I don`t want any attention tbh :P As I said we split up hehe
Well, yeah I see where you are coming from about Relapse, but...yeah :P That little 7" release seems like a cool thing, and probably it will be released by a smaller "sister label", and not Relapse it self, I think :P

What was your magazine called??

Ahhhh dammmmmnn... too busy talking crap I don't care about that I didn't notice this post. :P Sorry mate.

In between university, work, and other shit I decided to start a zine called Morbid Prayers, not intending to make money with it or anything, if anything I'll try to break even. Just want to write and give the bands that I really enjoy some exposure, ya know. So far I got about 50 reviews and some interviews.... only thing I'm having trouble with is the layout, heh.

Hows the metal in Norway? Is there also a kind of resurgence in the old style of metal as there is in Sweden?

You still haven't given me your name yet, darkened reaver. Were you the guy who got interviewed in Putrefactive Effect 4? :)

Deathevo:

Yeah, that would be me, hehe. My name is Lian.

I see, I thought you HAD a mag, but youre still working on it? Thats nice!

The scene in norway is REALLY small, although there are beginning to pop up some really good underground bands. When it comes to death metal, there are mostly old school`ish bands, somewhat like sweden, but not entirely like it, difficult to explain with my limited english skills :P I`d recommend you to check out Obliteration (dm), Diskord (dm), Execration (dm), Nekromantheon (thrash), One Tail One Head (black metal), Dödsengel (bm) Black Majesty (bm) and probably some others which I might namedrop later if I can think of them :)

edit: Deathhammer, if you like old Kreator, Sodom etc, and also check out Black Magic! Oooooold school BM/thrash(think Bathory, Merciful Fate, some old thrash and old heavy metal + + + ). The song "night Of Mayhem" = :O

myspace.com/bestialpurity

Hell yeah, metal rules!! Passing hours an hours editing doom maps, testing while listen metal in the background.. it is really the driving force behind any maps i made.. favorite bands:

Iron Maiden
Bathory
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius
Loudness
Therion
Omen
WASP
Ensiferum
Manowar
Slayer
Megadeth
Baron Rojo
Riot
Destruction
Helloween
Diamond Head
Saxon
Ratt
Sodom
Running Wild
Chastain
Metal Church
Warlord
Doro Pesch
DIO!!
Bolt Thrower
Sigh
Bulldozer
Strana Officina
Skyclad
Twisted Sister
Scorpions
Aria

and so on...

Up the irons!

Fuckit, I wrote up a massive response, then my computer died. >:(

A lot of great bands in that list NocturnuS! Just a glance at it and I pick up Running Wild, Sodom, (early) Saxon, Omen, Bathory, Bolt Thrower and Bulldozer which are all fucking awesome.

darkreaver said:

I see, I thought you HAD a mag, but youre still working on it? Thats nice!

Well, I also contributed to issue #1 of ASTRAL CORPSE, conducted 2 interviews (with LANTERN, and FORCE OF DARKNESS), and wrote a couple of reviews... it was pretty fun, but recently I kinda lost contact with the guy that ran it... hopefully he's still at it though. If I had extra copies I would have sent you one, but unfortunately I don't... Hells Headbangers has a few copies though. As far as interviews go, it's a good zine... but it's downfall IMO is that there weren't enough reviews. But then again I enjoy reading some zines that don't have any reviews and focus purely on interviews! :)

http://shop-hellsheadbangers.com/item.asp?PID=14818

darkreaver said:

The scene in norway is REALLY small, although there are beginning to pop up some really good underground bands. When it comes to death metal, there are mostly old school`ish bands, somewhat like sweden, but not entirely like it, difficult to explain with my limited english skills :P

Nah I got what your saying, mate. Each Scandinavian country has it's own trademark of proper underground metal bands. I'm really liking the way that so many killer Swedish and Finnish bands with members who are under the age of 18 that are creating music that blows the commercial shit (that's been poisoning metal for the last 15 years) out the water.

Some Finnish obscurity...

French teenagers playing music in the vein of Swedish death metal!!!

Well, I checked out Deathhammer a few months ago, and they're pretty decent. And that Norwegian band, BLACK MAGIC is fucking great, their music kicks straight to the balls!! I'll try get in touch with them for a demo or something so I can review it! :)

Edit : Just realized that I own BLACK MAGIC's "Raise the Dead" on cassette format!!! Fucking weird this one slipped me by hahahah. Must have been from one of my massive orders off Blood Harvest. Hahah. It's awesome to get a recommendation, and you get into a panic to look for a bands material then you check your metal collection to find their stuff!! D: Awesome!!

Hail Satan!

Arhg, I love metal.

Off the top of my head..

Alice in Chains
Anthrax
Death
Dio
Down
Dream Evil
Evile
Exodus
Fear Factory
Hellyeah
Hollow
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Iron Savior
Judas Priest
Megadeth
Metallica
Nightwish
Pantera
Slayer
Sword
Tesla
Testament

There is more, but that is all that comes to mind at the moment.

Listening to Evile right now.

AveryMaurice said:

Slipknot

1) You've got to be kidding or 2) You are just trolling

If #1, are there any other artists you listen to?

If #2, why post?

Mr. Chris said:

1) You've got to be kidding or 2) You are just trolling

If #1, are there any other artists you listen to?

If #2, why post?

Sure is internet tough guy in here.

Mr. Freeze said:

Sure is internet tough guy in here.

More like Internet Music Snob. Carry on folks.