Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inhuman Strain

Random stuff you like that virtually everyone hates

Mr. Chris said:

Black metal and Death metal.

Yeah, but what kind of Black and Death metal? ;-)

The funny thing is that if you google for "X is/is not metal", where X = Metallica, AC/DC, Nirvana, Sepultura, Panthera, Black Sabbath etc. etc. you will inevitably get hits and heated debates :-p

WHO holds the ultimate truth on THAT argument?

DuckReconMajor said:

A Knight's Tale

I like that movie, but Ive watched it far too much.

I own the DVD of Notting Hill and I'm not ashamed!

AgentSpork said:

I had an entire classroom of people playing Skulltag deathmatch and Capture the Flag during my last year of high school. I think I've got you beat. :P The original Unreal Tournament was another big one as well.

I organised a Quake tournament in my last year - maybe 60 odd people? Even made a metal trophy of the Q. Wish I had taken a photo of that.

I remember back in 6th grade when someone put the Unreal Tournament demo on all the library's computers.

Also, in my technical drawing class, after people finished their work we'd all get on the computers and play Counter Strike. Then some parent complained and it was taken off so we all played Quake 3.

Mattfrie1 said:

I've watched both recently, and I love them both. I don't see why so many people didn't like them,

Two words.
Emo Rayden.

Belial said:

BTW, Battlefield Earth scored the worst movie of the decade Razzie. I've read the book before I've ever even heard of Scientology, and I liked it, then I watched the movie and I just don't get why it's supposed to be one of the worst movies ever. It's just your average sci-fi movie, nothing special, positive or negative.

Same here, I read the book way before I even heard of this Scientology rubbish and enjoyed it. I also thought the movie was ok... not great but certainly not one of the worst.

magicsofa said:

I really like dressing in "women's" clothing. I am a decidedly straight man, but there are other gender 'roles' or whatever that I contradict. So, I sometimes wear skirts, mostly long hippie-ish ones, and get french braids, and so on. Although there are some people who appreciate it, many guys and girls just give me weird looks.

Women have some of the best clothing, that's for damned sure, so there should be no reason to not enjoy it I reckon. The people giving weird looks have no clue how many people would be openly doing the same if it wasn't for the twits who give weird looks and or worse. Nobody should give a crap what somebody else is wearing or doing with their hair, nails or whatever. Nomad gave ye a high five, so I'll give ya one too.

kristus said:

Two words.
Emo Rayden.

You do have a point there. I preferred the actor who played Raiden in the first movie over the second one. The actor for him in the second one didn't fit as well to me, and the whole thing of him getting his haircut came across as a major WTF moment when I first watched it.

On the original topic, I just watched the movie Spawn (The comic book character) over the weekend. It wasn't the best movie that I saw, but it definitely deserved more praise than it got from the critics. Didn't anyone else find the Clown funny?

That's probably because Lambert is a real actor who can push even a poor scifi movie like Nirvana or Fortress into above average territory, unlike that TV series reject that got the part in the second movie.

I loved Spawn when I went to see it as a kid, and having watched it some time ago on TV I didn't like it as much, but I still think it wipes the floor with some of the recently made comic book based movies.

I'd also like to know what was everyone's problem with The Spirit. I thought it was hilarious, and so did my friends that I've watched it with.

Professional wrestling. Not exactly something virtually everyone hates, but somewhat widely seen as "fake shit for inbred hillbillies".

I'm also a sucker for one hit wonders.

mammajamma said:

Professional wrestling.

Not so much any more for me, but I get/enjoyed the theatrical aspect (which they have taken out nowadays for the most part) as well as the athleticism. Watching two dudes beat the shit out of each other for real is too boring for me. Undertaker is still the man by the way.

Doom Dude said:

Women have some of the best clothing, that's for damned sure, so there should be no reason to not enjoy it I reckon.

Men's clothing was much more fancy in bygone eras. Check out how gentlemen dressed during medieval times or even the renaissance: cool boots, three-pointed hats, white wigs, decorated coats, feathered hats, etc. even soldiers were dressed like peacocks.

X-rated Doom wads. Haven't played them all, and haven't liked all of the ones I've played, but they're a lot better than most people give them credit for.

Around Season 3 or 4 of Heroes they did an arc called "Villains" that was pretty much universally reviled... I enjoyed it immensely, for some reason.

For that matter, the last season of Heroes... nobody seems to even watch it anymore, and I still like it.

I saw Nightwish get a mention on the first page... didn't know that many people hated them, but I like them.

Wesley Crusher... do I win the thread for that one?

No? Then how about Kim Bauer? Even the mountain lion scene, which I thought was fairly intense and rather well-done.

Maes said:

Men's clothing was much more fancy in bygone eras. Check out how gentlemen dressed during medieval times or even the renaissance: cool boots, three-pointed hats, white wigs, decorated coats, feathered hats, etc. even soldiers were dressed like peacocks.

Yes, I do know about those times and some of that stuff was certainly fancy lookin. There was also skirts and leggings in there too, way back when, amongst other things. Anyhow the Women folk have been borrowing stuff from Men's fashion since day one, which is great but some people just don't want to share. heh Also nowadays the cool 3 pointed hats have been replaced by shitty looking baseball caps. Oo

pinata666 said:

I saw Nightwish get a mention on the first page... didn't know that many people hated them, but I like them.

I really like Nightwish a lot. I would place them in my top 10.

pinata666 said:Wesley Crusher... do I win the thread for that one?[/b]

I never had a problem with Wesley and I think I can beat your Wesley Crusher with my Jar Jar Binks. :D Haha!

Also LOL @ X-rated Doom wads.

A few movies I like to add to the list: Heavy Metal, Zardoz, and Yellow Submarine.

Doom Dude said:

Women have some of the best clothing, that's for damned sure, so there should be no reason to not enjoy it I reckon. The people giving weird looks have no clue how many people would be openly doing the same if it wasn't for the twits who give weird looks and or worse. Nobody should give a crap what somebody else is wearing or doing with their hair, nails or whatever. Nomad gave ye a high five, so I'll give ya one too.

Department stores and the like piss me off. Their men's section is like MAYBE a dozen racks while the rest of the store is devoted to women's clothing. Oh, looks like I'm stuck with wearing this one fashion they're selling now. FFFFFFFUUUUUUU-

I should start hitting up flea markets for clothes or something.

Maes said:

True. Clothes have gone like furniture. Furniture was handmade and ornate, now its mass-produced, bland and cheaply made. IKEA have it going on, make the minimalist look seem cool, and you have a goldmine.

Clothes are no different anymore, unless you want to spend 10x the amount for something that isn't really that different from mainstream clothing.

Here's another one: MIDI music. I really like it. I like the weird tones, the stock, upfront recording quality, the cheesy and fat sounding fake drums, all of it. I've heard many remixes of video game soundtracks including that for Doom, but at the end of the day, I always go back to that honky-ass MIDI version. If I could, I'd compose MIDI music.

Inhuman Strain said:

Here's another one: MIDI music. I really like it. I like the weird tones, the stock, upfront recording quality, the cheesy and fat sounding fake drums, all of it. I've heard many remixes of video game soundtracks including that for Doom, but at the end of the day, I always go back to that honky-ass MIDI version. If I could, I'd compose MIDI music.

MIDIs are also alot smaller than MP3s so I can fit more on my PC.

Inhuman Strain said:

but at the end of the day, I always go back to that honky-ass MIDI version. If I could, I'd compose MIDI music.

The funny thing is that MIDI music is perhaps the most subjective music format ever: it only defines notes, not how something is supposed to actually sound (unlike MP3s, MODs and even AdLib tracker formats, even those precisely defined the actual instruments to be used).

Therefore, to the gamer from 1995, MIDI means the cheesy FM synthesis timbres of SB compatible cards, to the Y2K gamer it means the sound of Microsoft Software Synth (like it or not, it made MIDI its bitch) while to the dedicated professional it will be the sound of his dearly-paid equipment and/or carefully personalized set of patches, and for whom honky-assness is NOT an intended quality.

GhostlyDeath said:

These days, $50 can get you a TB of HD space easily.

GhostlyDeath said:

Someone's still living in the 90s.

Damn it, I was never able to get into FF9. I really want to like it but I just can't.

Wait, that was 8 you posted. I liked that one. I also suck at roman numerals.

I like all the FF games, and I'm also currently really enjoying XIII (go ahead and beat me up I don't care), but FFVIII is probably my favorite on the PS1. Yes, I like tedious repeated drawing of magic. Cloud wasn't dealing 6000+ damage by the end of the first disc.

pinata666 said:

X-rated Doom wads. Haven't played them all, and haven't liked all of the ones I've played, but they're a lot better than most people give them credit for.

Someone started on a brave mission of reviewing all the X-rated stuff on idgames, but the thread got post helled for some reason...

I prefer stereo to surround sound. Or, more accurately, I prefer a decent stereo setup to a half-assed surround rig crammed haphazardly into a living room. Either set it up properly (meaning a dedicated movie/listening room) or don't bother. Having the rear channels propped up on the top of the couch does not "make me feel like I'm there."

Both the amps I use for my "home theater" and my PC are late 70's integrated amplifiers, because they look way cooler than modern audio gear.