Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Thinking Out of the Box

March 3rd's episode of G4's Attack of the Show highlighted a cool, portable mod to play Doom on the go. The DoomBOX is a modded Kodak camera with Doom installed to its operating system. The design process is explained throughout the page for anyone else daring enough to invest the time and effort into making it, but even if that isn't the case at least you can come away with watching a neat video of another quirky Doom port. Read the entire design process.

icedigger said:

I really do not understand why you'd want to play Doom on anything but a PC or laptop.

I think Doom is the new Hello World. Want to prove that you've successfully hacked a device? Port Doom to it.

david_a said:

I think Doom is the new Hello World. Want to prove that you've successfully hacked a device? Port Doom to it.

Well in this case, the Doom port in question already existed - the real "hack" here is that the camera was stripped of its camera parts to be made exclusively into a Doom-playing device, and all its controls were replaced with keyboard keys.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I'm looking forward to playing Doom on a car GPS, to alleviate the boredom of long car rides.

<Female Voice> Turn left at red key door, continue straight, two hundred fifty-six map units, the exit to the next level is on the right.
* You hit the exit
<Female Voice> You have arrived at your destination.

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Basically the guy created a Doom machine. If it's updatable, even better.

I also don't know if porting Doom is really an easy task :) There are lots of modules to take care of.

GhostlyDeath said:

<Female Voice> Turn left at red key door, continue straight, two hundred fifty-six map units, the exit to the next level is on the right.
* You hit the exit
<Female Voice> You have arrived at your destination.

I lol'd.

david_a said:

Few truer words have been spoken :cool:

Or alternatively:

This is madness
NO! This is DOOOOOOOOM!!!!!