Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Doomworld goons' hobbies/fetishes

As we all (probably) know, most of us DW have a hobby of sorts, many of us practice said hobby at a semi-pro, pro or even fetish level.

Some examples: aside from Way of Maes and Cybie jokes etc. I'm by now also well known as generalist DIY and junkyard afficionado aka "ghetto 4 lyf", especially for what regards computers and vintage hardware, electronics, appliances etc. but I will also happily collect furniture, plywood etc. and aside from obvious DIY repairs to plumbing, cabling etc. I've done weirder stuff like refurbishing lava lamps.

George Fiffy is a well known elevator fetishist (technician maybe IRL?), several members here are musicians, ranking from amateur to full-fledged pro, some are accomplished mappers etc.

So, what's your story?

Why do people keep saying DW goons all of a sudden? Last time I checked this isn't SA.

Aside from the obvious competitive multiplayer Doom hobby that I've been doing for years, I'm also a (relatively crappy) musician.

Also, I love to travel to anywhere given the chance and have been known to just up and roll out to other parts of the country on a whim.

Other things I'm decent at and enjoy doing out in the real world are writing goofy ass raps, being the reigning local stickball homerun derby champ three years running, and throwing as many interceptions against my will as possible during backyard football games.

I'm not the world's best musician, but I'll also crack out a few songs when I'm not busy. I am also somewhat of a Video Game historian, because I love, love, love, love, LOVE video game history.

I don't know EVERYTHING yet, but I'm to the point where if you named me two consoles, I could likely tell you which one came first or which one was more powerful

I'm a musician, future US Military, aspiring film and videogame director/composer.

I'm a programmer, I can write some shitty basic music with my keyboard, and sometimes I hack some hardware for fun.

Also, what is this "goon"?

I travel the world over (that's all I've been doing since the end of August actually, since I'm just out of high school and have nowhere to be until September) and love it. I enjoy drawing, pixel art, game modding, linguistics, reading dense histories and biographies, especially of evil people, astronomy and astrophysics, cetology, mushrooming, and computer programming even though I don't know many programming languages that well.

GhostlyDeath said:

Also, what is this "goon"?

'Goon' is what the more insecure members of the SomethingAwful forums call one another.

I love pretty much anything involving film... and I'm still kicking myself for ever deciding to go to a university that, as it turns out, DOESN'T HAVE A FUCKING FILM DEPARTMENT!!!

It's been a small source of depression for me over the past year, in all honesty.

My hobbies include all aspects of video gaming (I love machinima), computers, and outdoor adventure sports like dirt biking, mountain biking.

I also practice Doom at a semi-fetish level.

aside from doom mapping/playing.... i like to be a video game historian. if only they had that as a course in university or college.

im quite good, since everyone else in my class only knows of 2 games : COD and Halo. heck, recently my maths teacher put some music into a powerpoint for the hell of it and i instantly recognised the music as the sandopolis act 1 music from sonic 3. everyone else in the class, including the teacher, gave me a "WTF" stare...

I play Magic competitively as mentioned in a recent thread.

I've been running a MUD for like 7 years now.

I'm a headphone-centric audiophile who has expanded this past year into 70s equipment, turntables, and record collection. I like craigslist and flea market diving for the best in old audio when I have any spare money. In addition to the way too many records I have, I have an extensive cassette collection and dabble in Reel to Reel.

Those are the big major hobbies, but I have plenty more I guess, they all kinda rotate out depending on my interests at the time.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

As lots of people here know, I am sort of a furry - however I don't really associate with many furries and I don't do that murry-purry one-on-one roleplaying nonsense. I would probably never fursuit or go to very many conventions, either.

I *TRY* to map, but as has been seen in the past, all of my projects fail because I have no work ethic to speak of. I also program for various platforms in one way or another (particularly the Playstation 2, Wii, Gameboy systems, and DS), and am a musician in various aspects (I play bass, guitar and drums in real life and I make MIDIs that apparently have some factor of quality to them). I also am an artist, though I haven't drawn much in a while.

I also have an interest in vintage computers and older game systems. I have a Commodore 64, Spectrum 48k, Atari 1040ST, a very old PowerPC-based Mac running OS 7, and several NES consoles at the top of my list of "precious relics". I'm sure somewhere I have an Atari 2600 as well... But I haven't been able to find it.

icedigger said:

Are you familiar with http://mobygames.com?

Haha, that site is a regular hit for me. There are some interesting obscure games out there.

I'm not a dedicated musician, and I know I'm not a shredder or really all that awesome, but I love playing guitar. It's one of those things that really relaxes me. Along with that, I love music and love discovering new bands/artists.

Yeah.

I'm boring.

Gamer now...
Gamer later...
Gamer after death...
But in between I have a hobby of blacksmithing (Ha... New age kid [91's] does one of the old arts..), and help people with computers... Then just simply draw video game references.

And no, i'm not THAT experienced in blacksmithing, but i'll learn... Eventually.

I have two different kinds of interests: Current interests and prospective ones. Lately I've been feeling out all sorts of different things I would like to do, but I'm a very busy and worn-down high school senior and don't really have the time, energy, or resources to actively pursue all of them (even though I apparently have the time, energy, and resources to fuck around on Doomworld, however briefly).

My current interests are drumming/music, reading/writing, gaming, and all-around "degenerate art". I'm not a professional musician, but I've been playing the drums for over 3 years so far and just recently joined a band that I think is actually going somewhere. I had been in several bands (or attempts at bands) before and none of them ever came together. These guys, however, already know a manager and a photographer, and I know a producer. We've been diligent and focused for the most part, so I imagine I'll finally go somewhere musically. Writing is something I think I've always been inherently good at (at least as far as my skills/talents go), and I like writing both fiction and nonfiction. I like books by authors like Michael Crichton that reconcile science with fantasy, and I hope to one day write a book that will have a similar effect. Gaming is something I sort of forgot about for a while, including Doom, but lately I've returned to it and discovered that it's still one of my top interests (Warcraft, Doom, Lode Runner, and Myth are some of my top games now).

My prospective interests -- which I may or may not actually end up enjoying -- include computer programming, psychology, studying/reading up on political/world issues, and doing something a bit more athletic/physical (lately I've thought about trying to find some people to just play hockey with, maybe street hockey). I've never been that active, but I've decided lately that I would like to be to some extent. Hockey seems like a good sport, with a good balance of strategy and full-on contact (that and when I had to take summer PE and we played hockey, everyone told me I had a good slapshot). I like to study, but I hate school, since it's based so much on a standardized pace, busy work, memorization, and moral indoctrination. I prefer learning important shit on my own time and not trivialized data for someone else.

I also like playing in the McDonalds ball pit and searching for coins in the change boxes of vending machines.

I've never been into collecting stuff.

My only fetish is bondage.

Well besides gaming and computers the only other hobby that I do is collecting Mardi Gras doubloons every year.

I'm the clarinet section leader at my high school, and I also play the accordion, trombone, and hope to play the oboe in the future.
Also, I read psychology texts (Carl Jung is on the dresser next to me), and enjoy literature, film and animation. Drawing is fun too, but I don't do it enough to be all that great.

I have a minor fetish for trig functions and synthesizers.

Doom is at a semi-pro level for me. I'm getting into most aspects of the game - from modding to demoing. I might even DM someone here someday over Doomwire or whatever you wish to use (except ZDaemon, which will not accept two different versions of Doom2.wad, and I can't get patches because mine is pirated).

Also, M:TG and other card games at a casual level. I seem to be the only person in the world between "I need this card to complete my super combo and bla bla bla" and "CARD GAMES ARE STUPID AND ANYONE WHO LIEKS THEM IZ A STOOPID NERD!!!111!!!!!"

I also take hardware modding at a casual level. I've modded XBox 1 controllers to be accepted on my Windows machine, but not much else that I didn't fail miserably. I might mod my Gameboy Color to have a reset button in the center, and I might also mod my DSi to accept an SD card as though it were a flash card, so I can play DSDoom.

My hobby is music. That includes listening, reading about-, discover new-, and play music.

I play the guitar in a band, and have some projects going. I`m also thinking of getting better at drumming, but it isnt that easy getting a rehersal-room by myself here in the city, also its DAMN expensive.

Im on the verge to geeky when it comes to extreme metal, especially old death metal (1985-1991, aaah, the golden years). Old demo tapes, rehersal tapes, vinyl, live videos, whatever...

Kagemaru_H said:

Doom is at a semi-pro level for me. [...] I can't get patches because mine is pirated

You're an idiot.

I have always liked tinkering with technology and all sorts of retro games and 8-bit era hardware. For such a short sentence that has pretty much been the focus of my entire life including work and education.

As a claim to fame, I used to repair and modify old 1960s and 70s Toyota Corollas, I've compiled a fairly well-known FAQ on the topic and was 2IC of the biggest Corolla site on the internet. I still get occasional emails and PMs from people asking for help with their own cars. The Corolla community used to be fairly small and close-knit (about 200 people) however it grew alot (over 10000) as the site we ran got more popular. About the point people started saying things on forums like "OMG I don't believe I'm actually talking to THE Super Jamie" I started to bow out of it as that was just too weird. That's kinda why I like it here as I will never be anyone special.

I've had various other interests over time which I've dropped. I used to play guitar and still have a rare Japanese electric with strings that are about a million years old. I used to play drums and could double-kick quarters at 160bpm which isn't that fast but it was fun for me. I used to be heaps into weight training and could bench 265lb (I am 5'6" and weighed 165lb at the time) however then I gave it up and got hell skinny, now I am back to my pre-training pudginess :P

These days I pretty much just play Doom and listen to metal. I'm always looking for new music, tho I love listening to my favorite stuff.