Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kagemaru_H

Novel or strange things done to the Doom engine

Playing Doom (ReMooD) at 9600x5400 and seeing the renderer break. I would have uploaded the original PCX file but it was 50 MiB in size, so I turned it into a JPEG. You might be able to see E1M1 in the jpeg blur. The level can be seen in a 1 pixel line in the center of the screen.

http://sites.google.com/site/kaptinkurk/doom-high-resolution.jpg

Fraggle's "mirror" mode : play the map which has been flipped on one axis.

My own "goobers" hack in EDGE : play the map with all the floors at 0 and all the ceilings at height 128 (except doors).

Also a long time ago when EDGE had a software renderer, it was possible to have crazy FOVs like 1080 (three full panoramas) -- very weird to play like that.

I remember when some version of EDGE (a 1.28 beta?) had the glitch which allowed you to look 180 degrees up, so that your view would be upside down (and also facing backwards). Probably my favorite glitch ever.

Cool thread.

Kagemaru_H said:

Rendering Doom in ASCii seems novel, but crippling to gameplay.

Let me guess: even if SMMU had text-mode Doom, Eternity removed support for it?

Eternity is derived from an older version of SMMU before the text mode code was added.

andrewj said:

My own "goobers" hack in EDGE : play the map with all the floors at 0 and all the ceilings at height 128 (except doors).

link?

Just use EDGE 1.34, type "goobers 1" in the console and start a game.

http://edge.sourceforge.net

P.S. goobers is a reference to Wolf3D, which is what this mode tries to emulate (making all the walls 90 degrees would be too hard though).