Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

A short Ultimate Doom map

Its been a while since my last contribution and now i'm FINALLY done with my second map. Once again its for ultimate doom and its about the lenght of e1m2, depending on your skills.

The first idea was to create a prison style map but in the end it simply drifted away from this said idea. There's no difficulty setting so its the same monsters count for every single difficulty. Its fairly harder than my last map and way bigger too. Detail wise, its nothing impressive, its really basic but the gameplay should quite enjoyable and i feel i balanced the map quite nicely.

I'll see if people like this map and if so then i'll most likely make it a short episode of maybe 3 or 4 levels depending on my inspiration.

Feedback/criticism are very welcomed, harsh or not. Gotta learn of my error.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?llw3rmtdzyu

I tested it only with ZDoom, should work with the other ports too and possibly Vanilla but i didn't tested.

Enjoy!

A nice good map of a possible start of an episode. Manage to kill everything except for the Baron(lack of ammo and didn't find any secrets). I like the small maze portion were you hit some switches which lowers some walls to make it less maze like(this was a good thing since I'm not that fond of mazes). Also Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow music FTW!!

Overall, the map was pretty easy, but I could imagine it being a challenge if one doesn't find the chaingun secret. It had a very old-school appeal. Ammo balance is done well, what there never being too much or too little. The baron seemed kind of out place in a map filled with low-level monsters, for the most part. Maybe a pair or trio of cacos would be better, plus it'd even be a bit more challenging as the player would have more dodging to do.

On a quick playthrough, I found a couple of alignment issues. here and here. Also, the "hole in the wall" at the beginning needs to be aligned, but a whole retexturing would be best, I think. Maybe ASHWALL or something for the sides.

Otherwise, not bad. Pretty good for a second map, really.

Well I played through it in its entirety which is maybe the highest praise I can give a map. I think the music had a lot to do with that -- good choice, though I wonder whether this can be accepted on the archive with that track.

I did wander around near the end, wondering where I was supposed to go. Turns out the imp-and-demon maze was the key to moving on. Took me about 14mins in total.

Liked the chaingun secret a lot, but I wonder how I would have managed without finding it.

Difficulty was good on Hey Not too Rough.

5 / 5 considering this is your second map,
3.5 if held against everything else

Cjwright79 said:

I think the music had a lot to do with that -- good choice, though I wonder whether this can be accepted on the archive with that track.

Since its a MIDI it will most likely pass through the archives(its ONLY copyrighted MP3s that you can't use).

Philnemba said:

Since its a MIDI it will most likely pass through the archives(its ONLY copyrighted MP3s that you can't use).

Excellent -- what's a good MIDI repository? :P

FDA using prboom+ 2.5.0.5 on complevel 3. Kinda fun, difficulty was about what the first map in an ep should be. I got a little confused in the comp maze, wondering when it'd finally end, but I haven't played a map with a maze for a while. Didn't really look for the secrets, just instinctually found the chaingun. I thought the ending was a secret too, heh.

I kinda felt most room were too empty like that big room but i went with it. I do admit the baron was out of place. As for the vent at the end well i was supposed, at first, to make it a short episode and this exit would lead you outside for e1m2.

@Snakes: Felt i forgotten a spot to align texture. :x

@Cjwright: I'm pretty sure it would be accepted in the archives, many wads in there use video game midi but i doubt i'll send it to the archives lol.

@Philnemba: Yeah changed the whole maze idea in the end to give what you seen in the map.

@Hardcore_gamer: Would be kinda smart to tell me why its so mediocre don't you think. ;p

@armouredblood: The other secret was a chainsaw so really you didnt missed on anything, personally.

Archvile78 said:

@Cjwright: I'm pretty sure it would be accepted in the archives, many wads in there use video game midi

Yup I am delighted that this is the case, and I'll be adding custom music to every wad from now on!

Archvile78 said:

@Hardcore_gamer: Would be kinda smart to tell me why its so mediocre don't you think. ;p

1. The map layout is all over the place, allot of rooms look like they were thrown together at random.

2. The map needs more ammo, by the time I encountered the baron I did not have enough ammo.

3. More weapons please, by the time I encountered the baron I only had a pistol and a shotgun.

4. Like you said, it lacks detail. But I still think you could have made it look a little less boring with some simple visual changes like using more interesting textures and by adding more height variation here and there.

There were also some more minor issues not really worth mentioning.

Like I said, its a fine map considering that its your second one (it took me dozens of attempts at mapping before I even begun creating something that was even half decent) but there are still plenty of things wrong with it.

Fair enough.

@ 2: i personally had more than enough ammo when i playtested it. o.o
@ 3: there was a chaingun/chainsaw secret in the map.

;p but the rest is noted.

Archvile78 said:

F
@ 3: there was a chaingun/chainsaw secret in the map.

Weapons that the player needs in order to do well should never be in secret areas, if you want to put weapons into secret areas then they should be bonuses that reward the player for finding them but they should not be needed in order for the player to do well since you can never know if the player actually finds the secret.

The map needs more ammo, by the time I encountered the baron I did not have enough ammo.

you probably missed alot.

Good level, and the music was alright too.

encounted 1 small glitch. where the first monster is, theres a computer thingy,if you look behind it you will see it has no texture there.

Oh well, this map was designed using a style that I love to use (the basic human subverted by aliens \ demon \ craps different), but some things like some walls are not aligned and design rather stingy with details, but I do not have much to ask someone who is perhaps his first map (and if not, sorry the same ^_-), anyway I liked enough .. another thing: some things like the computer that serves to open the door to the left (I think) in the corridor of the prison, here is that you could not make it clear that we must go there to open the door, using a switch or something ? No, because honestly the first time I did not understand where bisognassse did today go to open that door. Anyway good job, begins to put a little more detail and make it less cumbersome parts, and you will be a good (?) Mapper ...

(courtesy of google translator, LOL)

Archvile78 said:

I tested it only with ZDoom, should work with the other ports too and possibly Vanilla but i didn't tested.

Heh I forgot to mention this but the map works find in Chocolate Doom.

Odd. I tried it in Chocolate and a got a visplane error two or three minutes into the map.

Error: R_FindPlane: no more visplanes

EvilNed said:

There are no monsters whatsoever on UV. :X

I don't know what game you're playing but on UV there's like 60+ monsters. :x

@walter: yeah i guess, whenever that will be. -shrugs-

mammajamma said:

Odd. I tried it in Chocolate and a got a visplane error two or three minutes into the map.

Error: R_FindPlane: no more visplanes

Thats weird because I played through it without VO. Which area of the map you were at when it occurred?

Not an bad map. There is enough ammo to kill everything, altough an few more shells couldn't hurt. Textures could use more variation and aligning. No secrets found, didn't really looked for them.

Some texture bleeding when playing it with Zdoom in software mode.

Oh, it's a good map. Although I think quantity of enemies are a little scanty, I enjoyed playing this enough. I wasn't able to find exit easily, also I didn't find chain saw's secret without a wad editor.
Good job, and I'm looking forward to next your maps.

I just made a demo (UV-Max in 2:43)

@tatsurdcacaco: thank you for the demo it was well done and thanks for the feedback too.

@dutchdevil: thanks for pointing out these issue and the feedbacks.