Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Ventris

Harmony Sprites...scrambled?

As can be viewed here, certain sprites in the Harmony wad appear... scrambled, as it were, though they appear fine in-game. This forms a great problem if one were attempting to use them in another project (like myself. Yes, I asked TV about it first.). I'm wondering if ya'll have any idea why the sprites are like this, and if there is a way to reverse it other than hand-editing each sprite, which would not be very pretty, considering they're based on actual models. :/

I know that TV used DeHacked in the original project. I'm using blzut's DECORATE version for a wad of mine (it's not really a Harmony pwad, sorry. It's called "ZDoom Wars", you summon monsters at each other in an attempt to kill each other in Skulltag's LMS mode, blah blah, anyway...).

Being unfamiliar with Dehacked, if this is some method of bypassing sprite size limitations or something, I wouldn't know how, but that's my theory, so if I need to apply a DeHackEd patch to emulate this or what-not, so be it. The sprites appear fine when playing harm1.wad itself, but the graphics IN the wad look like this.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Captain Ventris said:

As can be viewed here, certain sprites in the Harmony wad appear... scrambled, as it were, though they appear fine in-game.

It's a SLumpEd bug, it chokes on images that are too large. You can get the same sort of glitch in Action Doom 2.

If you look at these sprites with the SLADE 3 beta, you'll see that they're perfectly normal.

If you do not have installed SLADE 3 beta yet, remember to put it in a different folder from SLumpEd. They both use a library called FreeImage, but they don't use the same version. SLADE 3 + SLumpEd's DLL = doesn't work, because it cannot find some functions. SLumpEd + SLADE 3's DLL = images are all flipped upside-down because of an API change.

Oh, fantastic. I am indeed using Slumped. Fantastic, it was simple. Thanks a lot, I would have never figured that out haha!

Quick thread was quick.

I've added a technical explanation of the phenomenon here if you are interested. :)