Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pinata666

Probably a stupid question, but... [What is Win32?]

What exactly is Win32? Because the zdoom.org site says I need it to run ZDoom, and it sounded like an operating system. Since I'm running XP, I don't want to download ZDoom only to have it not work. Clarification would be appreciated here... can ZDoom run in XP, or do I need an emulator of some sort?

Yes. Simply put XP, Vista, 7... All fine. Even the 64bit versions will run the program in 32bit mode automatically since the program only supports 32bit mode.

pinata666 said:

What exactly is Win32? Because the zdoom.org site says I need it to run ZDoom, and it sounded like an operating system. Since I'm running XP, I don't want to download ZDoom only to have it not work. Clarification would be appreciated here... can ZDoom run in XP, or do I need an emulator of some sort?

win32 is developer's terms for 32-bit windows.

DaniJ said:

Note quite. It is the "old" name for the Windows API (see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_API).

But "Win32" is still a platform distinct from the Windows API as a whole, as the Windows API is now also supported for 64-bit programming, previously on IA64 and now on x64. The WIN32 symbol is defined even in 64-bit environments though, since they are a superset.

pinata666 said:

Since I'm running XP, I don't want to download ZDoom only to have it not work.

Downloading and trying it out would have been faster than first asking, though.

Jodwin said:

Downloading and trying it out would have been faster than first asking, though.

Meh. I'm used to sacrificing speed for caution.

Thanks for all your help, everyone. Downloading Zdoom now.

Win32 is Windows 32-bit

or...

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98 Second Edition
Windows ME
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows 2003
Windows Vista
Windows 2007
Windows 7
Windows CE

However, Win32 is deprecated now...

GhostlyDeath said:

However, Win32 is deprecated now...

Absolute nonsense, as usual. I don't even have to back up my statement. Win32 isn't going away, just like 32-bit processors are not going away. Microsoft has said nothing about deprecating the API anywhere in any documentation that I can find. Only speculation and "I heard it from some guy..."

Please, think before you post.

The best part is that I'm running XP x64 and the 64-bit libraries are in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. The 32-bit libraries are in C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64. (This actually almost sorta makes sense, as the subsystem is called "Windows On Windows-64", being that which runs older 32-bit Windows apps on 64-bit Windows.)

I figure 32-bit applications will be around for at least another 15 years. We're just getting to the point now where 16-bit apps won't run natively and that's mostly because of the hardware and not so much the operating system...

Csonicgo said:

Absolute nonsense, as usual. I don't even have to back up my statement. Win32 isn't going away, just like 32-bit processors are not going away. Microsoft has said nothing about deprecating the API anywhere in any documentation that I can find. Only speculation and "I heard it from some guy..."

Please, think before you post.

Win64 is all the rage. Pretty soon Win32 will just be a compatibility layer like Win16, it already is.

GhostlyDeath said:

Pretty soon Win32 will just be a compatibility layer like Win16, it already is.

... which still means that it's not going away any time soon. Unlike the Win16->Win32 transition this time it's far less radical and I see 32 bit software live on for a long time.