Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
esselfortium

Fraggle Script

Is there a way to use Fraggle Script on Mac, or is this not possible? If so, then how is this done?

Would I need to use Legacy, or would the original engine work with this?

Please tell me!

FraggleScript is currently implemented in SMMU, DOOM Legacy, and my own port, Eternity (which is based on SMMU). I do not know if Legacy has a MAC port or not. The other two ports have not made their way to that platform at the present time.

FraggleScript has to have an interpreter built into your DOOM port in order to be executed, so it doesn't work with the original engine. Maps that use it should still play, but things that are supposed to happen via scripting won't.

There's a lot of information at my site, http://doomworld.com/eternity/etcengine.html, but I've been told that beginners have trouble understanding it. I will be rewriting the docs soon however, since FraggleScript is about to change quite a bit -- I am writing a new interpreter and compiler which will hopefully be used in Legacy as well.

If you're serious about learning FS, I'd honestly suggest waiting a while to get started, since some things will change and it might confuse you. The new version will be much better than the current one, so the wait would be worth it.

Depends what wad editing tool there are about for the MAC these days. You will need something to insert the fragglescript into your Doom wads.
Back in the dim and distance when I used to do my Doom editing on a LC475, get good tools to edit wad resources was a pain.

The editors I know of for Mac are:
Hellmaker (level editor)
DEIMOS (sprite / sound editor)
DEMON (very buggy port of DEU, doesnt work right)
MDU (sorta like deHackEd, but uses its own Mac-only patch format. if anyone can find this, i'll take it! i cant find it anywhere anymore)
DeMacked (creates dehacked patches, but only for editing Things)
DOOMinator (applies DeHackEd patches)
and a few other small tools

All of them have been discontinued! And none of them can insert FraggleScripts! I need someone to port DeepSea to mac! I know its not easy, but I need at the very least A MAC PROGRAM TO INSERT FILES LIKE FRAGGLESCRIPTS INTO WADS!

Would somebody help me out?

Quasar, maybe you can help me. I've been trying to find out some Fraggle stuff but as usual getting answers has been like pulling teeth.

Can I use fraggle script to make some kind of a Q3Arena like jump pads? Either directional or just plain vertical? Do you know if it is/isn't possible with the new Legacy?

Thanks!

DEMON (very buggy port of DEU, doesnt work right)

Hey I used this on my LC475, if my memory serves me right it worked. Although buggy as hell. In fact much the same as the early version of DEU on the PC ;)

It certainly is possible to make a jump pad with FraggleScript -- the trick is deciding what to make trigger the script -- perhaps lines around a raised sector would be realistic enough, but that's up to you.

What you need to do is apply momenta to the thing that crossed the line, first in the z direction so that they fly into the air, and then a particular amount in both the x and y directions so that they move at the proper angle.

This can be accomplished by calling the objmomx, objmomy, and objmomz functions on the trigger object like so:

trigger.objmomx(somenumber);
trigger.objmomy(somenumber);
trigger.objmomz(somenumber);

It will take either some clever math or some experimentation to get the momenta correct so that the player goes where you want them to go -- this solution would also affect any other line-crossing thing, of course, meaning that monsters might be able to use the jump pads, which would be interesting IMO.