Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Morbid Flesh (Heretic wad)

Hey everyone, I've started working on a Heretic project which will hopefully span into ten or so levels which might even become a megawad if I can stay inspired! I'm going to try my best to recreate the mystic atmosphere and cryptic level designing that made Heretic so awesome... and I plan on doing this withOUT ripping anything off or simply remaking levels! I'm also adding a few personal obscure touches without being pretentious about it.

I've only had Doom Builder for about two or so weeks and haven't had past experiences with mapping (except for some crappy Warcraft 3 map I made six years ago hahah). But so far everything looks alright in my opinion, here's a screenshot for a map I'm working on called "Stranger Aeons"!

It's still in it's early stages and I know everything hasn't been properly aligned yet or I haven't done much in terms of shading detail but will do that soon!! Brutally honest criticism is appreciated!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee101/NecroMolester/Screenshot_Heretic_20100311_234403.png

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee101/NecroMolester/Screenshot_Heretic_20100313_232243.png

Weathered altar...
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee101/NecroMolester/Screenshot_Heretic_20100315_215558.png

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee101/NecroMolester/Screenshot_Heretic_20100315_215553.png

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee101/NecroMolester/Screenshot_Heretic_20100410_192206.png

Cheers!

- Adrian

ah, a new heretic wad project, that looks fine, i'm looking forward to it!
screenshot looks alright in my opinion and the idea of recreating the oldschool level design / atmosphere is good as well. keep it on!

Smaller problem first - to the left of the right wood pillar, the stone textures with white bands are misaligned, press shift+A in 3d view to auto-align the wall vertically then use an upper unpegged on the linedef over the opening.

Next - the ceiling overhang looks pretty funky with its 2 points jutting out, consider splitting those into different sectors then raising them, adjusting the decoration if possible.

Otherwise it looks good, I'm interested in seeing more.

Thanks, fixed the pillar a few minutes after I took the screenshot. I made those points stick out on purpose, but I agree... now that I'm looking at it again, it does actually look kinda silly, heh. I'll rearrange it.

Ok, I've posted a second picture up... been playing with the shading to the point I nearly had a brain seizure. I'll probably play around more with this area and the shading once my headache has gone. So far, my map is 60% complete!!

Awesome, another Heretic level set. The pictures do remind me of the original episodes. If you want some playtesting, I can give it a try for you. If you want to turn it into a full-blown megawad project, I can map a level or two if you want to collaborate.

Hey, Aldaraia! Having you as a playtester sounds great as I really don't know much about other ports except for skulltag and Zdoom... and sure, ofcourse you can can make a few maps, although the maps you make have to be made in the spirit of Heretic, but I'm sure you're aware of this :P

On a side note I'd like to say it's really awesome that there are communities keeping the best game alive! To be honest at one point I thought DOOM was dead... which was a very depressing thought, but finding this place has reassured me that at least some people can still appreciate this work of art. For me, the graphics, level designs and gameplay from DOOM and HERETIC are much better in comparison to modern gaming. Ok, enough ranting now, back to my map. :)

Thanks again for all the killer correspondence.

Thanks a lot man!

Ok I've uploaded two more screen shots both different angles of the same scene of an altar that's weathering away, take in mind that I haven't touched up with lighting, detail, smoothed anything out yet and I just noticed that some walls aren't aligned in this screenshot but I'll do all of that soon... I'm too lazy to take more screenshots, heh. But so far I'm happy with the result. The next and last thing I'll upload will be a video preview in a few weeks. My style has changed drastically in the last few days, rather than simply being a homage to Heretic, the outside areas of the map are starting to get a majestic and magical vibe of their own, which I'm very excited about! The inside areas are still pretty much Heretic with a few twists!

I've been thinking about whether this will be a megawad or not and I've decided I'll give it a go... but I'll still put a lot of time and effort into each map like I've done with this one, and I'll pull the plug on any filler. So far the release date will be sometime 2011 but might be sooner.

DeathevokatioN said:

I've been thinking about whether this will be a megawad or not and I've decided I'll give it a go... but I'll still put a lot of time and effort into each map like I've done with this one, and I'll pull the plug on any filler. So far the release date will be sometime 2011 but might be sooner.

An episode sounds good to me. I've been in a Heretic mapping mood lately and have begun work on a level, if the inspiration stays then it may turn into an episode with big levels. There are too few Heretic megawads, so two consecutive releases in 2011 would be amazing.

Aldaraia said:

An episode sounds good to me. I've been in a Heretic mapping mood lately and have begun work on a level, if the inspiration stays then it may turn into an episode with big levels. There are too few Heretic megawads, so two consecutive releases in 2011 would be amazing.

Wow, two Heretic megawads in 2011? If this really happens then 2011 would be an awesome year!! Good luck with your maps! And hopefully you DO stay inspired and make more maps so that I can play more Heretic! :)

Thanks for taking an interest in this project. :)

I've been working on and off on this as a side project, and it's going to be an episode replacement so I can try focusing on quality rather than quantity... I'll also scrap most of the levels I've got already and just start again because while they are a few texture adjustments from looking good, I'm not happy with the gameplay direction or the layouts that they have.

Could you still release the levels as is? It sounds like your going to get rid of most, so you might as well just release the ones that won't make it.

The problem is that none of them are totally finished layout wise so there won't be exits, it won't really be worth finishing them but I'll probably be able to salvage the ideas that I enjoyed off them and merge them with the maps I'm creating from scratch now, maybe I can put all the noobish and unfinished levels as a hidden episode for anyone who might be interested in that kind of stuff to just idclev through or whatever that cheat is called.

Yo Primeval, I'm very interested in seeing what music you can make. :) PM me!

Okaaaaaay.... sorry for the epic bump... but I have some news from this side. :)

I just recently looked over these maps again, and after a close inspection, I realized that while they look very ugly at parts, that I also had some really neat ideas, and it would be very heartbreaking to see all this go to waste. The ugly can easily get fixed with some (major) polishing ;).

So I will at some stage polish what I've done with Morbid Flesh, and combine every E1 styled map (excluding Dark Recollections ofcourse) together into one, to create a giaaant, gloomy, action packed and atmospheric level. Each E1 map I built had sort of had the same flow, and style, but also enough diversity to keep it interesting... so I think it might just work. But I'll have to do some massive work on the polishing, lighting, revamping areas, and then on making sure that they fit together, but that said, I already know exactly how I'll fit them together.

The E2 maps I might get to at some stage, but since I've done so little work with E2, and what work I have done doesn't really showcase anything special I don't feel emotionally tied to it.

Sorry if I sound pretentious here in any way, but suddenly I'm getting the same feelings and excitement for Heretic back, which were the ones which originally drove me to start mapping for it in the first place... as I'm looking at these ugly maps in Doom Builder 2 with some Hexen music going on in the backround. :)

Although I won't be able to start immediately, as I need to finish off my upcoming exams first.