Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aldaraia

Who thought... [cacodemon eyes]

Cacodemons actually had two eyes instead of one? It might sound kind of foolish, but for the longest time I believed this. Since I started playing Doom at the age of 5, I always believed that cute, round, crunchberry demon had squinty eyes and a green nose. And the first time I saw a Baron of Hell at Phobos Anomaly, I thought they were wearing khakis or some pants made from burlap.

Now just a few years ago I started to play jDoom and saw the model for the cacodemon, I was surprised to see that green 'nose' was actually an eye, and hearing people talk about its one eye, Despite that, I still view the cacodemon with a green nose and its squint that makes it almost look happy to see you.

Squinty? More like completely closed. I get it. He has two eyes that cannot see and always remain closed and he senses everything through his huge nose that looks like a big green eye. But it is actually a nose.

It all makes sense now.

Always saw it that way, realized where his real eyes were after getting into Doom editing, but can't unsee what I thought for years.

Also the Baron definitely wears pants

Ralphis said:

Always saw it that way, realized where his real eyes were after getting into Doom editing, but can't unsee what I thought for years.

Same, eyes are not meant to be that far apart >.<

Ralphis said:

http://ralphis.unidoom.org/stuff/img/eyes.png

Oh crap. I never realized that.

Anyone else cringes at the thought if a Baron is inducted into emo society and is forced to wear skinny jeans?

You guys just ruined the Caco and Cyberdemon for me. Forever.

What has been seen cannot be unseen! Argh!

Ralphis said:

Cyberdemon Image

Funny how happy it looks with that circle obscuring some of it's mouth.

Have to admit, I never really saw the cyberdemon's eyes until a fair way into playing the game (as in... years after first seeing it), but I never really thought that it's nostrils were eyes either. Given that it's based on a bull, the spacing on the eyes does make sense, and the glow relfecting off of the horns is still cool.

khartael said:

You guys just ruined the Caco and Cyberdemon for me. Forever.

This.
I never even saw those red Cyberdemon eyes until this very picture. MAKE ME UNSEE THIS T_T

Ralphis said:

cyberdemoneysethingy

With that circle, it looks like the cyberdemon is smiling. And therefore no long dangerous.

FUCK!!! That wide-eyed cacodemon is fucking disturbing.

Well, at first I thought the two holes of cyberdemon's nose were his little arachnoid like eyes.

I feel like I'm the only person here to have not misinter-

Oh yeah, at first I thought the commander keens at the end of 32 were civilians.

doom2day said:

Oh yeah, at first I thought the commander keens at the end of 32 were civilians.

Only in an id game do you get to shoot eight year old kids hanging from nooses.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Only in an id game do you get to shoot eight year old kids hanging from nooses.

Rockstar North comes close though.

Yes, my sister always thought that cacodemons had two eyes and I tended to agree with her (to avoid getting beat up; I was five, you see). I would play the game later and notice that the cacodemon VERY obviously had one, green eye.

It could be that the images in the manual left a lot to one's imagination due to their pixelated appearance.

Csonicgo said:

what I saw in the doom2 title pic when I was a kid. BEAT THAT.

I thought I was the only one to make that mistake....
The cacodemon eye allocation works in dynamic binding for me. Sometimes I perceive it having two eyes, sometimes one eye. But sadly, I was oblivious about the contradiction for a long time. Now beat that.
I first saw caco [malwrath] in Doom RPG.

Ralphis said:

Also the Baron definitely wears pants

Same. I know where the eyes are, but I can't unsee it when I'm usually running for my life.

Somehow I've played Doom this long without having any idea of where the cyberdemon's eyes are. Usually when one shows up in a level I have bigger issues to deal with.

I did a lot of researching on Doomwiki about the monsters and weapons and what not before playing Doom, so I never had this problem.

Although the Baron does look like he's wearing baggy clothes. Does the Revenant have pants? inb4Scuba Steve

I've always known where all the eyes and noses of demons were.

And yes, the Barons do look like they are wearing pants put it's really fur.

I guess these things are inevitable when using low resolution 2d images to construct a game.

Can't you switch back and forth?