Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Epyo

Nerdathalon

Soo I had a pretty good idea a few days ago, and I'm probably not the first to think of it, but I decided to hold a Nerdathalon with a couple of my friends. Basically, it's ten different nerdy events, and we keep score between all of the events, and whoever has the most at the end is the nerdathalon champ. It should probably be in the olympics.

Anyway, we're having a lot of fun with it so far, so I'd like to inspire you to hold one with your friends. I'll post my itinerary as an example, and maybe it would be cool if you would brainstorm your own ideas?

[By round robin, I mean everyone faces everyone once, 1 pt for each victory.]

1-Trivial Pursuit. 40 minutes, one point per wedge.
2-Pacman, Tetris, Zoop. One try each, high score in any gets a point. (Zoop because its something we've barely played in the slightest.)
3-Ping Pong. Round robin. An athletic nerd classic.
4-Wii Tennis. Round robin. An interesting counter to ping pong.
5-Settlers of Catan. 1 game, 3 points to the winner. This is our favorite board game, climax of first half.

--Lunch break.

6-Key to the Kingdom. 1 game, 2 points to the winner. Shakes up the scores a bit.
7-Multiplayer Solitaire. 2 games, 1 point per victory. One of the guys is good at this and bad at other things, so this helps balance out the total scores.
8-Tornado Rex. 1 game, 1 point to the winner. Nice relaxing awesome board game, before the final showdowns...:
9-Wii Basketball. Round robin, from Wii Sports Resort. This is another of our favorite things, we take it very seriously.
10-Mega Bomberman. 3 matches, first one to 3 wins the match. 1 point per victory.

So, if you were to hold a nerd decathalon with your friends, what events would you guys pick? I'm sure it would be totally different than ours!

Your Settlers game must not have gone long - mine usually average on 2 1/2 hours or more.

Interesting concept none the less. I think my version of it would come out like a LAN party though.

1. Doom SP First Attempt time attack (could use oblige or something to generate a new level and the fastest player to beat it wins)
2. Doom DM
3. Settlers of Catan, too
4. Console wars. Argue for/against a console with an other person, taking turns with your arguments. First one to start going in circles loses the match.
4b. Alternatively, OS wars.
5. Abusive tactics. Decide on a pool of imbalanced multiplayer games, and let everyone study the games a week or so before the event. At the event draw one game at random and make everyone play it against each other, the idea being that the player who's able to abuse the imbalances the most wins.
6. Craft a lightsaber. Have a bunch of crafting materials prepared, and within a set timelimit everyone makes their own lightsaber. The one who gets the most points from the "judges" wins.
7. Doom SP Planned time attack (decide on a level beforehand, allowing everyone to practice and study it, fastest player wins)

Mine and my mates' version of this seems to be roughly along the lines of:

1) Fairly late night (2-3 in the morning) with the Fire Extinguisher Challenge starting at 1 or so (go for your fastest time running down 3 flights of stairs and back up with a 12kg fire extinguisher)
2) Hour in the gym at 10 or so in the morning
3) Massive drinking session (drinking games, plenty of alcohol and arsing around as standard)
4) Continue this into a night out with plenty more alcohol flowing
5) Get home to bed at 4 or 5 in the morning
6) Get up in the earlyish morning and go to the Trafford Centre where you spend some time and money recovering play pool for an hour...
7) ...and then play two rounds of bowling before going back home
8) And then playing the latest CoD for an hour or two
9) Before having 14" pizzas with 9" free suppliments and doing another very late night watching a variety of films
10) which results in some of us walking home at 3 in the morning on our own and having to be up for Lectures the next day.

Sounds like a week I've had at least once, starting Tuesday and ending after the Lecture on Friday.

Not too nerdy, but one hell of a student challenge!

I thought every Athalon was a nerd Athalon.

Anyway, fail without ant Magic or Warhammer.

Don't need a nerdathalon. All my strange geek friends don't get a long so well. hehehe Some of them will do games all night, some will watch Star Trek for a week straight, some will watch horror movies, some will have programming marathons, etc. With some of them we have a list dating all the way from a year ago of things we want to do when we have time.

Haha, we just finished and it was excellent.

Me   Paul   Brad
 1      1      2    Trivial Pursuit
 1      3      0    Pacman/Zapdos/Zoop/Tetris
 1      1      1    Ping Pong
 0      1      2    Wii Tennis
 0      0      2    MP Solitaire
-------------------
 3      6      7    DAY 1
-------------------
 3      0      0    Catan
 1      0      2    Wii Basketball
 2      0      0    Key to the Kingdom
 0      3      0    Mega Bomberman
-------------------
 9      9      9    FINAL
After Day 1, things were looking very bad for me, especially because I'm the worst of us at Catan, which is the most valuable game. But I played an excellent game, because I needed to, and caught up! In the final event, Paul's only chance to tie us was to win all three matches...and did.

This is an awesome idea!

My nerd friends are into Carcassonne and Doom Boardgame so those would likely feature. We'd also go for a cardgame, probably Munchkin.

Definitely Mario Kart, preferably on SNES.

The final event would be drinking. Points go to whoever doesn't pass out and wake up with dicks drawn on their face in marker pen. One of my friends would inevitably clean up at this as he doesn't drink :P

Also nice comeback in the last day.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Fix'd.

Well, you can't really compete at D&D.

Unless...

Danarchy said:

Well, you can't really compete at D&D.

I think making characters, setting them at level 10, 20, and 30 as well as choosing powers (if you're using 4th) and then having them Duel would be sufficient.

I thought of D&D as well. An intentionally short campaign would be fun, though require a lot of pre-planning.

Just a tough single-monster battle with a choice of predefined and balanced characters could work. Whoever wins gets the point. In the case of multiple winners, whoever finished quicker. In the case of all deaths, whoever lasted longest.

Super Jamie said:

I thought of D&D as well. An intentionally short campaign would be fun, though require a lot of pre-planning.

Tomb of Horrors grindfest nightmare mode.

Actually, we have what we call our "zombie grinder" every Halloween, where we make a stack of Call of Cthulhu characters and hand them out at random. Then everyone tries to survive the zombie outbreak scenario, and anyone who dies grabs another character from the stack until we run out of characters. It's good times.