Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Editing programs

Doom Builder, hands down (that is if you're using a Windows OS)

If you are new to mapping, I would suggest reading/watching tutorials (there are some tutorials linked on DB's website btw) before cracking open the editor.

To be more precise, Doom Builder 2. It can be very unfriendly to those of us with lower-end systems, but even Doom Builder 1 is awesome to use. If you can, go with Doom Builder 2. Everything else will be horrible by comparison, trust me.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Everything else will be horrible by comparison, trust me.

I must disagree. I like Doom Builder 1 the best. I only wish for Floor & Ceiling display in 2D modes.

Right, I got Doom Builder 2 downloaded and I quite like it. It seems pretty easy to use, though I still have to figure a few things out first.

I like DB2, but then again I haven't really used anything else. The visual mode is useful, but I only use it for checking and not editing. I find it easier for my brain to step out of visual mode and edit linedefs from the top-down view.

I sugest doombuilder too, XWE is also a must-have to go more advanced in wad editing. (changeing textures, flats, music, etc)

but there's one thing I dont understand...

there are many other different editors that I've heard of, like Wintex, do you really need them anyway?

XWE is not that good. It has several design flaws that kills it in my opinion. Slumped or the Slade 3 beta are a lot better for general lump management stuff.

Now there are a few tools that are still useful in XWE, but I wouldn't use it unless they are specifically needed.