Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

WinDEU doubt

i was wondering how the heck can I build a two sided-linedefs sector, for example, for a raised platform or a slime pit or whatever, BUT in an easy way.

Right now, the only way I know is to create a one sided-linedefs sector, either with the front linedefs looking to inside the small sector, or looking to the bigger sector.
Then edit the linedefs to create the second sidedef.

For a 4 ldefs sector, this is not much work, but for a 25 or more ldefs this takes infinite time... and I don't want to talk about splitting that sector when other sector's linedef 'touches' any linedef from the first sector...

Another thing I tried was to insert a prefab square in the middle of the container sector, but the sector inserted is, by default, one sided.

As fas as I know, WinTex automatically creates 2 sided-linedef sectors when doing this...

Karnizero said:

As fas as I know, WinTex automatically creates 2 sided-linedef sectors when doing this...

You mean WinDEU, right? Anyway, I rarely ever use the vertex draw/linedef insert feature in WinDEU, unless I'm creating a whole new area. Instead, I just expand the room and then split the sector. If it's for a nested sector, then I still split the main room, then split the splitter line to give it a cavity, then split to close in that cavity. Afterwards I delete (via Linedefs menu, then via DELETE key) the linedefs separating the main room, to have a seamless container sector.

It's all about splitting.

25 linedefs should be no slower than 4, you can change their sector references all at the same time. The 'e' key is handy for highlighting a group of connected lines.

EDIT: removed some bogus advice.

Karnizero said:

i was wondering how the heck can I build a two sided-linedefs sector, for example, for a raised platform or a slime pit or whatever, BUT in an easy way.

Right now, the only way I know is to create a one sided-linedefs sector, either with the front linedefs looking to inside the small sector, or looking to the bigger sector.
Then edit the linedefs to create the second sidedef.

For a 4 ldefs sector, this is not much work, but for a 25 or more ldefs this takes infinite time... and I don't want to talk about splitting that sector when other sector's linedef 'touches' any linedef from the first sector...

Another thing I tried was to insert a prefab square in the middle of the container sector, but the sector inserted is, by default, one sided.

Have you tried selecting the line and pressing insert?

printz said:

You mean WinDEU, right? Anyway, I rarely ever use the vertex draw/linedef insert feature in WinDEU, unless I'm creating a whole new area. Instead, I just expand the room and then split the sector. If it's for a nested sector, then I still split the main room, then split the splitter line to give it a cavity, then split to close in that cavity. Afterwards I delete (via Linedefs menu, then via DELETE key) the linedefs separating the main room, to have a seamless container sector.

It's all about splitting.

No, I wanted to say Wauthor not Wintex.

Yes, I thought about that, but that's a lot of unnecessary work. For a simple construction like a square, that's the best way to go but for something more complex it can become a hell of splitting and joining.

andrewj said:

25 linedefs should be no slower than 4, you can change their sector references all at the same time. The 'e' key is handy for highlighting a group of connected lines.

EDIT: removed some bogus advice.

The problem is that not every linedef is with it's front sidedef looking at the same sector.

I will try your 'e' trick. Thanks.

GhostlyDeath said:

Have you tried selecting the line and pressing insert?

That's what I did. The main problem is when doing that, the new sector is only one-sided, so I need to edit manually all sidedefs that I want to belong to the outer sector.

Thanks you all for your tips.