Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cjwright79

Darkstalkers - complete

So far its not a good map due to low ammo and hallways are cramp.

gemini09 said:

I was anticipating a fully-fledged Darkstalkers TC.. :(

lol I was thinking the same thing too when I look at the thread title.

If the player lets the arch-vile after the blue key door push forward he's screwed, which is most likely to happen as there's just enough ammo to get to that part, then a few corpses are just waiting to be resurrected and soak up whatever ammo is left.

Otherwise I like the changes I saw, not so plain and direct now.

Well, I got 82/82 kills and 6/6 secrets... but for the life of me I cannot find the exit. Where is it? Also, there seems to be a monster stuck in a little room. I had to noclip to kill him. The inside of this room seems to be full of errors as well, with see-through walls.

Monster stuck in this room, marked by the crosshair:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2drgf8m.jpg

The inside of that room:
http://i44.tinypic.com/auz7dh.jpg

Cjwright79 said:

There's no exit yet. And thanks for the encouragement Blood.

edit: issue fixed Atomic.

Rock on. Lookin' good now.

you should not make a whole map unlinear (unless its all rock or something organic) most maps have large areas that are linear as they add clean texturing of the square/rectangle textures and a better building feel.

right now your layout is all over the place and feels like a bunch of random shapes just stuck together (except the one area with the tek texture it looked fine). The brick area was not horrible it fit together and flowed a little but it was too cramped for all the monsters you throw at the player.

I would just advise you to go back and study some of the map that are considered good and find out what worked in them and go from there.

Just played it, it's definitely way too flat for it's own good. Needs way more height variation and less hallway battles.

Also the secret area is hardly worth the trouble.

you should not make a whole map unlinear (unless its all rock or something organic) most maps have large areas that are linear as they add clean texturing of the square/rectangle textures and a better building feel.

Free-roaming maps can be just as fun as anything else. Not sure what texturing has to do with linearity.

Malinku said:

I would just advise you to go back and study some of the map that are considered good and find out what worked in them and go from there.

I am reminded of the film Amadeus.

udderdude said:

It would be even better if you made your map less flat.

I don't understand this objection so I cannot cater to your preference.

udderdude said:

Also the secret area is hardly worth the trouble.

That will change as the level grows, and more rockets are to be found.

Cjwright79 said:

I don't either. Despite having no exit just yet, I thought it was a lot of fun. I really didn't even notice it being "too flat."

Cjwright79 said:

That will change as the level grows, and more rockets are to be found.

That wasn't really the point, the map is so cramped that it's hard to find anywhere to even use the rocket launcher without being in danger of blowing yourself up.

Cjwright79 said:

The start area where the stairs are there and the height variations actually change how you fight the enemies is what you should do more of.

udderdude said:

The start area where the stairs are there and the height variations actually change how you fight the enemies is what you should do more of.

A theoretical example - It's relatively easy to ssg a cyb when it's a clear open space. It's harder to do so in a more cramped area, but you have room to let rockets fly past, and much harder when they can't. Now say you're on a 64 unit platform above the cyb. That's easier in every situation since there's a good chance the cyber will get close and shoot the wall instead of you. Now put the cyber on a platform and you on ground level, and it's harder to dodge, as the rockets will explode a little closer behind you as you get closer to the cyber.

Each demon has pros and cons to fighting at different height variations, and doing this adds more to fights that would otherwise be not very interesting to people who have played the game for 5, 10, even 15 years.

udderdude said:

That wasn't really the point, the map is so cramped that it's hard to find anywhere to even use the rocket launcher without being in danger of blowing yourself up.

That is the danger of the rocket launcher, yes. It's more of a 'finish off a lone Hell Knight' tool on this map.

udderdude said:

Ok. :)

Glad you told me that -- I just updated with the latest tweaks, which can make a sizeable difference. Still, Hard is not fully tested yet.