Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cjwright79

Darkstalkers - complete

It also makes him look like a noob who doesn't know he can just remove all the skill flags from the 3D mode start thing and it will never appear ingame, and will be totally ignored by any version of Doom.

Which is what DB or DB2 will automatically do if you place it using Ctrl-W like you're supposed to. ;)

Use3D said:

Leaving the 3d mode start in your map just makes you look like a stupid noob, but that's cool bro.

Do you honestly believe that I would mind about the thought process of anyone who types, thinks, or utters the phrase 'stupid noob'? Or just 'noob', in essel's case.

Oh I forgot, you're just way above everything. Pardon us silly mortals who get in your way, oh enlightened one.

Cjwright79 said:

Do you honestly believe that I would mind about the thought process of anyone who types, thinks, or utters the phrase 'stupid noob'? Or just 'noob', in essel's case.

Uh oh, Use. Cjwright doesn't like us. We'd better quit the community. :'(

esselfortium said:

Uh oh, Use. Cjwright doesn't like us. We'd better quit the community. :'(

It's not a matter of liking or not liking you. It's a matter of relevance.

Use3D said:

Oh I forgot, you're just way above everything. Pardon us silly mortals who get in your way, oh enlightened one.

LOL I cannot find fault with this post.

You could be a bit more humble though. Of course you dont have to apply all suggestions and stuff, but you dont have to reply as if they are idiots who dont "get your map" because of it. Do you?

And the arch-vile jump out into the open area: stuff like that are often secrets, so many players will of course try to get there, and when they do, they discover there is no secret and no way back. Thats a flaw in the map imHo. Simply add impassable lines, or a way to get back to the previous area. Simple as that.

darkreaver said:

You could be a bit more humble though. Of course you dont have to apply all suggestions and stuff, but you dont have to reply as if they are idiots who dont "get your map" because of it. Do you?

And the arch-vile jump out into the open area: stuff like that are often secrets, so many players will of course try to get there, and when they do, they discover there is no secret and no way back.

Well I delight in the prospect of over-solicitous funboys blasting themselves into the wrong place and not being able to get back without idclip. It pleases me. It is a feature, not a bug.

Mr. T said:

Fuck you, learn to take advice and crits like a man or GTFO...

I think you mean like a doormat. Real men don't roll over at the first hint of difficulty.

I have no sympathy for Archvile jumpers. End of discussion. And I will thank you to clean up your language.

Hehe, well...I for one love exploring maps and finding secret areas is one of my all time fav thing to do in Doom. So then I just get annoyed when I get stuck and have to restart the map. If its a big map, and Ive been playing for lets say 30 mins, and then get stuck, it kinda sucks (although I can just use idclip, but if one gets stuck when recording a demo and compet-n stuff etc, it really sucks!). I dont think one should be able to get stuck anywhere in a map, but hey; if thats your thing, go ahead.

Cjwright79 said:

I have no sympathy for Archvile jumpers.

I for one have no sympathy for people who kills imps. Those poor imps. Imps should always be left alive in every map.

OK Reaver, I can respect that, and I vow to be mindful of your exploratory nature in every map I make from now on. All's well that ends well.

edit ^^^ lol

Cjwright79 said:

Consider yourself punished. I am not interested in accounting for Archvile jumps. Well, maybe in new maps I will be. Allowing yourself to take 70 damage for the sake of going places you aren't meant to seems rather silly to me.

you're regular frank castle. :) it seems to me you started working on that area, got bored and 'blocked' it from accessing.

but you know what's funny? it'd actually be a cool and clever secret if you planned it that way and enabled returning from there. you've built a decent archvile jump scenario by complete freak accident. there's the creature itself placed conveniently, a relatively low barrier + a ton of health to recharge yourself before the jump, a secret weapon and creatures unreachable otherwise... and you had no clue. you really are a time traveller from 1994, aren't you?

dew said:

you're regular frank castle. :) it seems to me you started working on that area, got bored and 'blocked' it from accessing.

but you know what's funny? it'd actually be a cool and clever secret if you planned it that way and enabled returning from there. you've built a decent archvile jump scenario by complete freak accident. there's the creature itself placed conveniently, a relatively low barrier + a ton of health to recharge yourself before the jump, a secret weapon and creatures unreachable otherwise...

I just clipped off the last impetuous little bit of your post because it's otherwise brilliant. I stand corrected. This is me taking constructive criticism.

edit: actually even the last bit is quite interesting. Yeah, I loved 1994. Best year ever! Can't go wrong with Pulp Fiction. Kerrigan takes the silver in Lillehammer. I die on the inside. So yes I am a time traveler from then.

And I would suggest you drop the "holier than thou" attitude. There's no point in even posting your wads in a community forum if you are just going to ignore what people have to say.

I actually feel kind of sorry for you. I can only imagine that someone who takes an attitude like this over their DOOM MAPS would be at best unbearably irritating in real life. Get real, bro

As you can see above, I do listen to people who know what to say. Dew is wiser and more competent than you at communicating effectively. You could learn from him.

Cjwright79 said:

As you can see above, I do listen to people who know what to say. Dew is wiser and more competent than you at communicating effectively. You could learn from him.

No, you just like him more because you could interpret what he said as a compliment and keep doing what you're doing.

Mr. T said:

I actually feel kind of sorry for you. I can only imagine that someone who takes an attitude like this over their DOOM MAPS would be at best unbearably irritating in real life. Get real, bro

It's just an act, as you can see, acting like a douche gets his generic maps more attention than someone who is polite and responsive. The oldest trick in the book really.

esselfortium said:

No, you just like him more because you could interpret what he said as a compliment and keep doing what you're doing.

I will prove you wrong sooner or later. I'll make a map where Archviles help you reach a highly-developed area that's otherwise inaccessible. Or at least, I will entertain the possibility.

Use3D said:

It's just an act, as you can see, acting like a douche gets his generic maps more attention than someone who is polite and responsive. The oldest trick in the book really.

Generic? Come on, no one believes that. Or if they do... ugh. I will let you carry on your dismal life in peace.

EDIT: To everyone who had unkind words for me on the database: ******** I don't want to get banned, but you do have my utter contempt.

Cjwright79 said:

I think you mean like a doormat. Real men don't roll over at the first hint of difficulty.

You talk like your map was "difficult".
It's not.

Cjwright79 said:

I'll make a map where Archviles help you reach a highly-developed area that's otherwise inaccessible. Or at least, I will entertain the possibility.

Check the /idgames archive for once, you'll find that it has been done like a thousand times already :o

I think the best example is gggmork's feckyoo.wad.

Use3D said:

That's actually a really good point. His maps are plain and forgettable, so by acting how he does it actually gives people a reason to remember him. Too bad it always backfires in the end.

I like my maps a lot.

If you really have never liked any of my maps -- which I find rather difficult to believe given the huge variety of style and theme -- then I'll win you over eventually. And also, I question just how appreciative you are of the finer things in life, if such a phrase means anything at all to you.

"The finer things in life"? Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you might strain yourself reaching.

Cjwright79 said:

To everyone who had unkind words for me on the database: ******** I don't want to get banned, but you do have my utter contempt.

Utter contempt? Wow, what a mature way to handle criticism.

*facepalm*

I don't think it's very profitable to converse with you essel.

In lieu of furthering bickering, I give you a Beksinksi painting that will hopefully sober you up a little:

Edit: no I won't. It's too horrible.

Cjwright79 said:

If you really have never liked any of my maps -- which I find rather difficult to believe given the huge variety of style and theme -- then I'll win you over eventually.

I actually pity you after reading that, but not enough to refrain from posting; you can call your maps whatever you want and while you may believe they have variety, the truth is that they are still part of a greater category known as "garbage". I don't expect you to believe me nor do I really care, but if your maps were actually good, then you probably wouldn't be defending them right now.

Ok Zap, thanks for that. Save your pity for someone who cares though. And if say that my maps are garbage, you have no credibility with me. None whatsoever! None! Can you understand that?

found the map to have way too many Revenants and low ammo

as for the big area your not supposed to walk/be in, you could always just flag one side of the barricade with "Impassable" that way Zdoom jumping or archie/rocket jumps will block the player, denying access

I concur, this map is not for anyone who isn't not very confident with a Super Shotgun, facing off against numerous Revs. Well, it might be on Easy. As for ammo -- I've tested a lot and there should be enough to make do without resorting to infighting. There's not supposed to be a huge surfeit. And you will want to scrounge in every little corner, and look for secrets.

And yeah I did think about flagging the wall impassible, but I didn't want to cause Ty to have to update his database, for the sake of such a minor thing. I've already done that a few times and I don't want him to get fed up.

Anyway when I include Darkstalkers in a megawad it'll be dealt with, one way or another. I might fix up the big open area, and have stairs leading back over the wall.