Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elbryan42

doom depot - a glitch in html - help please

Well, almost done the redesign. I hit a bit of a snag. Not earth-shattering and won't change the fact that the new design will be up tomorrow, but an annoying thing. I was wondering if anyone can help.

My page layout is a table. Set up like this for all pages:
--------
|A|C
--------
| |
|B|D
| |
| |
|-------

Where A is the small Doom Depot logo, B is the navigation map, C is the title bar, and D is the page content.

Now, for the What's New/Main Page I got rid of the title bar, so the page looks like this:

-------
|A|
---
| |
|B|D
| |
| |
|------
It all aligns perfectly, all cells in the table are the right size and such. So then I start typing in cell D, and when I hit the bottom of the map, and cell D gets longer than Cell A and B combined, Cell A starts getting taller, along with the board that separates A from B. It's not noticable at first, but toward the end of the news section, A and the seperation board are twice as tall as they should be. It's weird that the board is 10 pixels tall, and after it gets taller, when I set the height to 5, it goes back to 10 pixels tall. Note that this doesn't happen with any other pages regardless of the length of them.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

umm, just provide a link to the messed up page and I'll see what I can do.

WHERE IS dEADNAIL WHEN YOU NEED HIM? Well, probably getting stoned. Elbryan, did you look at any HTML FAQs? You should try that too.

I'm pretty good with HTML, it's just that I have noe freaking clue what he's talking about. I'd need to see it.

I'm pretty good with HTML, it's just that I have noe freaking clue what he's talking about. I'd need to see it.

Me too.

I MAKE MY SITES IN NOTEPAD :P

Well, the site's up tomorrow nite. When it's up, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all for your help!

Me too.

I MAKE MY SITES IN NOTEPAD :P

So what's wrong with that? Notepad 0wns when it comes to HTML IMO...probably because it was the first thing I used and learned HTML on back in HS. Then our teacher introduced us to MS FrontPage, which didn't work out too well. You have full control of the entire coding when using a simple text program. Just pay close attention to what you're doing.

I also like to do the coding myself, the hard way. I used to use Notepad, but Editpad handles multiple files, and doesn't complain if a file's too big. :)

I don't know how someone could use those WISIWYG editors. You can actually tell by the way the page looks if they coded it themselves or not. Not to mention coding in those editors is too damn sloppy.

I don't know how someone could use those WISIWYG editors.

I don't see how you could write sites in notepad. That's like trying to make a WAD by typing out vertex coordinates in notepad. I require a visual tool for visual output. Of course you actually have to find a WYSIWYG editor that isn't shit, but same goes for map editors, as well as sound editors, graphics editors, etc.

Of course you actually have to find a WYSIWYG editor that isn't shit...

So you've found a WYSIWYG editor that isn't shit? Care to share the name of that?

Of course you actually have to find a WYSIWYG editor that isn't shit...

So you've found a WYSIWYG editor that isn't shit? Care to share the name of that?

I've actually had it for a few years, but WebExpress. It likes to add all the custom colors to the page header, but other than that it's pretty basic and easy. It has bigger features (like entire website themes and stuff), but I just go with the page-by-page approach. It's as easy to use as MS-Paint.

let me be the first arse to moan and point at validator.w3.org

its possible your problem involves the valign tag for table cells.

seriously though, try and stick to valid code!