Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RestlessRodent

Original Doom 1.2 Registered Floppies?

I am wondering if there ever were (professionally) labeled floppies (as in what every company did with their floppies) containing Doom 1.2 Registered on it. Of all the people I talked to, it seemed that the only floppies there were was multi-colored floppies with a kind of medical/masking tape on it saying Doom with a number indicating the disk number.

I've most likely thrown the floppies out since they were damaged beyond repair, and luckily I had backed up the originals.

If you have said floppies, possibly ones from ID, scan them or take pictures of them if you can. It's possible that these were illegal copies or ID just got lazy and really did do this.

Hmmm..another collector's item for those who pick up Doom stuff. :7

Ahh the good old days. Kids nowadays wouldn't even know which end of the computer to stick those things in. I have teenagers at the school I work at asking me wtf floppy disks are and why we sell them. -_-

It is a good question, why would you use floppies these days? (I don't even have a floppy drive :p)

Quasar said:

Ahh the bad old days

I remember getting my first USB stick around 04... oh the joy!

Registered disk on the right (published in Australia by Manaccom) and shareware disk on the left - from SoftKey.

(550x300 - 47k)

chungy said:

It is a good question, why would you use floppies these days? (I don't even have a floppy drive :p)

The last time I had to use a floppy drive was a few years ago, I accidentally trashed my BIOS while trying to upgrade it, and there was a "backup BIOS" that could be used to fix it, but you could only do so by booting off a rescue floppy.

chungy said:

To use stuff that'd designed to work off floppies, for instance, without having to jump through hoops to devise workarounds. Some examples that comes to mind are BIOS updates, firmware updates, rescue disks etc. many are still designed to be used off a bootable floppy.

And don't be so hasty to play the "Bootable CD/USB stick, lulz" card...do you actually know how to make them? With DOS as an operating system? As long as companies will keep releasing stuff that needs a clean DOS environment to be used, there will always be the need for floppies (or for emulating them).

GreyGhost said:

Registered disk on the right (published in Australia by Manaccom) and shareware disk on the left - from SoftKey.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/a8fd748607359cc9177b12a4b12748572g.jpg
(550x300 - 47k)

I have the registered ones of this too, however my disk 1 has a blue label. Disks 2-4 have a Manaccom label which looks like it was made on a typical office label maker (dot matrix of course) with "DOOM 1.1" printed on them. One of these is even a different brand of floppy to the rest!

I have those Softdisk shareware floppies too, which version are they?

Mine are a mixed bag - the 1.2 disks all have red Doom labels, the 1.666 set has a red Doom label on disk 1 and Manaccom labels on the rest.

As for the shareware disks <tries jamming disk backwards in drive> they're version 1.2

Hahaha, thanks :) My USB floppy drive either doesn't like Linux or has died altogether.

You know Manaccom are still in business? Their office is a few suburbs from where I live and work, I used to pass it every day on the train home. That always bought a smile to my face as I remembered my childhood full of their shareware DOS games.

Maes said:

And don't be so hasty to play the "Bootable CD/USB stick, lulz" card...do you actually know how to make them? With DOS as an operating system?

Yes and yes (FreeDOS works perfectly fine off a LiveCD -- its own installation disc includes a live mode!). But now that just brings up another point -- I haven't had a need for DOS for many, many years either (actually it does piss me off a bit that modern BIOS flashers tend to work only on Windows -- I've got an update for my own BIOS that I can't apply because it neither works on 64-bit Windows nor Windows 7 (yeah I got the 32-bit one installed in a vhd once just for that purpose, to find out it wouldn't work)).

Yeah, I had shareware floppies. To bad I can't find any of them. They got corrupted, but I'd keep one just for the sticker on it.

chungy said:
It is a good question, why would you use floppies these days?

Just so chungy can ask about what nobody is talking about every now and then.

Super Jamie said:

Hahaha, thanks :) My USB floppy drive either doesn't like Linux or has died altogether.

They don't seem to be particularly robust, my first USB drive was killed by a scratched floppy. :(

You know Manaccom are still in business? Their office is a few suburbs from where I live and work, I used to pass it every day on the train home. That always bought a smile to my face as I remembered my childhood full of their shareware DOS games.

I think you'd mentioned that in another thread. If I find myself in Brisbane someday I'll have to wander in there with my "Request for 5.25 inch Disks" form and see what sort of response I get. ;-)

I never had Doom on floppies. Even my shareware version came on a CD. Most of my memories of floppy installation are from the good old many-disked wonders of Flashback on mac or Mortal Kombat (1) for DOS. The last game I reinstalled through floppies was probably Sim City 2000.

Of course my last use of floppies was as a horny little pre-teen, storing as many shitty jpegs of Jenna Jameson's horrendously siliconed body onto 1.4mb of rickety disk as I could.

iori said:

Here's my Ultimate Doom floppies. Not 1.2 but wheeee

Binary SOURCE partitioner? Aie-yie-yie!

iori said:

Here's my Ultimate Doom floppies. Not 1.2 but wheeee

Sweet. I have those too except the lost episode disk.

Too bad I can't the Doom2 Screensaver anymore. :(