Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

hexen-plus, ver 1.1.5

Few days ago Kristus asked me for hexen-plus for his mega-cool-and-whatnot heXen project.

Now it is ready for download:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/files/hexen-plus/

limit        : old   * k   = new
-------------------------------------------------------
MAXVISPLANES : 128   * 8   = 1024
MAXDRAWSEGS  : 256   * 8   = 2048
MAXVISSPRITE : 128   * 8   = 1024
MAXLINEANIMS : 64    * 256 = 16384
MAXPLATS     : 30    * 256 = 7680
MAXOPENINGS  : 20480 * 4   = 81920

goodies
-------------------------------------------------------
1. Demos: fixed bug when turning with mouse
2. Demos: Support for "-longtics" command line switch.
3. Demos: do not quit game with 'q'.
4. Demos: multilevel demos.
5. Demos: -maxdemo support.
6. Demos: -timedemo support.
7. Demos: showing automap with <TAB> key.
8. No startup splash screen.
9. Bindable inventory.
Also, there is a bonus.

hexen-plus-1.1.1.zip includes two Skill 1 Lame Speed demos of Cluster 1 (MAP01-MAP06) in 5:44 and 5:24. I recorded them for testing purposes. First demo is standard hexen demo, but multi-level; the second one is "longtics" demo.

Spleen said:

This is great news, but I am curious - why only 1024 visplanes?

Because it is enough even for Deus Vult? :)

Interesting. Soon we will need Wolf3D+.

Maybe we could start some kind of EXE patching and create custom source ports by modifying the DOS binary?

GhostlyDeath said:

Interesting. Soon we will need Wolf3D+.

There already is a "Wolf3D+". It's called "Wolf4SDL".

kristus said:

Hardly, but Strife+ perhaps.

Making some 'plus' (c) stuff for game I even did not see (except on youtube once, thanks Quasar) is not interesting. Please, send me $99 or $250 via Western Union for motivation.

entryway said:

Making some 'plus' (c) stuff for game I even did not see (except on youtube once, thanks Quasar) is not interesting. Please, send me $99 or $250 via Western Union for motivation.

Dunno about that but if you have a change of heart I can send you a complete map of the executable. I don't care that much either way though. The only reason I think it's a good idea is because the current choice looks like this for people mapping for Strife (what few exist):

• Vanilla with VPOs and drawsegs overflows
  • ZDoom/Hexen format with ACS and slopes.

Quasar said:

because the current choice looks like this for people mapping for Strife

• Vanilla with VPOs and drawsegs overflows
  • ZDoom/Hexen format with ACS and slopes.

Can't people also use ZDoom/Vavoom/SVStrife without ACS or slopes?

andrewj said:

Sure. But it's very difficult. In the version of SVStrife I have, histcanners are pretty much 100% accurate with their shots. Vavoom doesn't support Voodoo dolls and has some strange issues with monster sighting and some other minor gameplay things I forget about right now.

My point is it's quite difficult to balance a strife map with all ports in mind.

andrewj said:

ZDoom isn't vanilla.

printz said:

ZDoom isn't vanilla.

Neither are Vavoom or SvStrife.

Khorus said:

Sure. But it's very difficult. In the version of SVStrife I have, histcanners are pretty much 100% accurate with their shots.

Unfortunately SVStrife was quite liberal when implementing the game. There's lots of stuff that doesn't work correctly.

But SVStrife is no longer updated. Since then the quirks of Strife have been more closely studied and hence can be applied to ports, such as ZDoom, that are still updated.

In short, if SVStrife were still updated, I'd imagine it would probably be much closer to the original game today.

That's possible, but Kaiser has indicated he had no interest in working on it ever again. What he may do on the Strife front is help Quasar and Fraggle with Chocolate Strife. Later down the line, Eternity should support Strife as well. Until these alternatives are a reality, people can use Vavoom, ZDoom or a ZDoom derivative if they want to play Strife.

Are there talks of a jStrife?

Gez said:

Are there talks of a jStrife?

There was some years ago (a sticky thread on Newdoom), but it was certainly something far down the track. It'd be great to see a plugin for it once 2.0 is completed though. :)

Looks like 90% of my hack for multi-level demos is not necessary. By some reasons I thought I need something similar in SV_MapTeleport, but I was wrong. Version 1.1.2 is available at the same link

I have a question for hexen sources guru. Do I need something for multi-level demos except:
1. Removing CheckDemoStatus() in G_DoReborn() and G_DoCompleted()
2. Removing demorecording = false and demoplayback = false in G_InitNew()

andrewj said:

They could, yes. But the discipline required to refrain from use of said features seems to be at a deficit. I know if I'm targeting a particular port, I feel I may as well be using its features if they strike my fancy. I don't blame anybody for that. It's just that when more ports add Strife support in the future, we're going to find that the very small map base for the game is extremely fragmented, and it's kinda disappointing :)

Gez said:

Neither are Vavoom or SvStrife.

Well yeah, that's what I was trying to say, they don't play exactly like Strife1.exe, replying to andrewj.

Quasar said:

It's just that when more ports add Strife support in the future, we're going to find that the very small map base for the game is extremely fragmented, and it's kinda disappointing :)

I think fragmenting the modding scene is only a small downside of source ports. Even a Strife+ would be fragmental, wads would be created that need its "Limit Removing" nature. The benefits of source ports far outweigh that, of course.

Version 1.1.5 is out.

1. Added "-maxdemo" support.
2. Fixed hexen bug when player reborns on medium skill.
3. Fixed all known problems with multi-level demos.
4. Fixed wrong class (always fighter) during "-timedemo". Also, now it shows correct stats for whole demo on multi-level demos, not just for the latest level.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/prboom-plus/files/hexen-plus/1.1.5/

P.S. There is vanilla hexen bug with green poison bags. It's easy to crash Windows when you use them, but DOSBox and DOS are not affected.

entryway said:

P.S. There is vanilla hexen bug with green poison bags. It's easy to crash Windows when you use them, but DOSBox and DOS are not affected.

What happens, does the EXE write into a bad memory address?

andrewj said:

What happens, does the EXE write into a bad memory address?

Read: if (!NULL->dx)

void P_BounceWall(mobj_t *mo)
{
	P_PathTraverse(leadx, leady, leadx+mo->momx, leady+mo->momy,
		PT_ADDLINES, PTR_BounceTraverse);

// entryway: bestslideline is NULL
	side = P_PointOnLineSide(mo->x, mo->y, bestslideline);
I can crash chocolate-hexen in two seconds