Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
pinata666

How do I stop ZDoom from autosaving?

I prefer to save my games at specific points -- after I get the megasphere and am therefore at an advantageous position, after I've found that elusive key, etc. but almost ALWAYS halfway or further into a level. The only annoying thing about ZDoom is that it autosaves at the beginning of each level, depriving me of control since there are apparently only four save slots so the autosaves pile up even if I try to save around them.

So, is there a way to turn off the autosave feature so that I can decide where and when to save my game?

disableautosave

Note that autosave comes from Hexen, as disabling them is not a good idea in hubs. (Can't pistol re-start a hub map if you needed to do stuff on other maps first.)

Saved game slots are unlimited in ZDoom. Maybe quicksaves use the same slots as autosaves (I wouldn't know, I never use them), but if you make a new, named save game through the menu then that saved game will last forever, and you can come back to it any time.

Creaphis said:

Saved game slots are unlimited in ZDoom. Maybe quicksaves use the same slots as autosaves (I wouldn't know, I never use them), but if you make a new, named save game through the menu then that saved game will last forever, and you can come back to it any time.

Quicksave slots are the same as normal save slots. ZDoom only limits the number of autosave slots so that they don't end up wasting buttloads of space after a while, and you can actually increase that limit through the INI file.

Creaphis said:

Maybe quicksaves use the same slots as autosaves (I wouldn't know, I never use them)

The first time you manually save a game during a ZDoom session, this slot is chosen as the quicksave slot for that session. So it should be a normal save; but if you choose to manually overwrite an autosave slot, then it'll be that autosave slot. Until you quit ZDoom; then you'll get to choose a quicksave slot again next time you play.