Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dew

Czech-N Doom 2 Nomo "Movie"

Around the turn of the year, Czech-N got revived under the flag of idoom.cz...
http://czech-n.idoom.cz/

...and so, a few of Czech speedrunners started to polish their doom2.wad skills and record demos. Kind of surprisingly, the most popular (and successful, so to say) category was "Speedster", alias -nomonsters speed runs. We gathered quite a collection and the current best times are ranging from very decent to excellent. So we decided to run a funny little experiment, take these best time demos and paste them after each other to create a full nomo movie. And it worked. :)

It's nothing to be taken seriously and it looks weird at some points, because the player is doing things that make sense in a single level run, but are completely out of place in a movie, but it's still enjoyable to watch. I also had to edit in some weapon switches to keep the run consistent... it's not okay to shoot switches with a rocket launcher from previous levels. :) So, for fans of straight line running, tight corner cutting... and empty maps, here's a little treat.

author Cz-N record
====================================
map01 dew 0:05.20
map02 dew 0:19.31
map03 dew 0:22.74
map04 dew 0:21.06
map05 hokis 0:23.46
map06 hokis 0:47.14
---------------------------------
map07 Gusta 0:08.57 !!!
map08 Twister 0:17.60
map09 hokis 0:48.49
map10 Twister 0:24.77
map11 dew 0:29.17
map12 Graim 0:38.86 *
map13 hokis 0:56.51
map14 dew 0:21.71
map15 hokis 0:55.63
map16 dew 0:10.94
map17 hokis 1:28.40
map18 hokis 0:21.49
map19 hokis 0:37.83
map20 dew 0:33.89
map21 dew 0:16.54
map22 dew 0:20.80
map23 hokis 0:33.26
map24 psichotik 0:34.94
map25 dew 0:39.54
map26 hokis 0:30.66
map27 hokis 0:33.71
map28 Twister 0:35.97
map29 Twister 1:27.80
map30 hokis 0:30.86
Total Time: 16:19
===================================

* The original time here was 38.60, but additional wait tics were added at the start - to get those demented elevators working right.

Also available on youtube now. :) Enjoy.
part 1 - part 2

czn-speedster-movie.zip

Damn I wish I knew how to do 07 rj and 13 keygrab and 22 glide and and and... You czechs are crazy
Questions: did you use complevel 2 or not? I didn't see hokis' map13 in your website, where can I get it? If 22 wasn't complevel 2, do you think there is any difference doing that vanilla and how reliably you could do that? I mean it looks like you guys know how to do these tricks.
Anyway, funny idea to do a movie and it turned out to be good too!

hi xepop, hokisĀ“ map13 and few other newer records as well are in "Incoming". http://czech-n.idoom.cz/download.php?list.12
I think that all runs were recorded with -complevel 2.
Fighting for records is still going on so I assume that most of these record will be heavily improved in the future.
Great job dew btw. ;-)

of course all demos were recorded with -cl 2.
There was no assisted tools and something other helped things. Every run its classic "handmade".
Gj dew :)

xepop said:

Damn I wish I knew how to do 07 rj

haha, me too. and i tried, believe me. you need to ask gusta. :)

and 13 keygrab

reliably? hell no. that's a proper bitch there. i found it helps to use the candlestand for a boost, but that's a few tics lost, of course.

and 22 glide

one of the weirdest glides ever. my secret is not to face the glide frontal, but one turn step left. what's also unusual, momentum helps to.. uh, crash through. kinda opposite of every other species of glides. :) i think it should behave the same in vanilla. i remember i was on a hot streak that night and glided fast once in every three runs or so... but always failed at those sr50 jumps.

07 rj - as dew said i tried too.. but i have handicap... im totaly sucks if working with rocket launcher :)

13 keygrab - i havent any recipe... knock on the door :) and you have or not :)

22 glide - dew made up great strategy but in my fulfilment doesnt work exacly.. hm but dews ... no problem ... what happend, im in :) sr50 jump:) i remeber it. Dew said.. i make glide.. you take the keyboard and exit this map and were make the best time ever together on czech lan ofcourse :)

But theres anothler thing with interest me. This is 24 short way.. wallrun from the tele, im totaly powerless to do it.

How AWESOME are those map runs!!

There was one bit which had me ask "Ya wha...?" (translation: surprised reflex way of saying "You just did what??") - In reference to the end of Map 10, opening the door through the bars... And then pretty much ghosting through them right after.

Gingercat said:

In reference to the end of Map 10, opening the door through the bars... And then pretty much ghosting through them right after.

Actually, gliding through those bars is very easy. Just try and you'll see ;P To glide (almost) instantaneously is another thing.

MAP24 linedef jump was a long standing mystery to me, only now I examined this part of the map in an editor to see what was going on there. And I even made the jump on my 3rd try! But next 10 tries were unsuccesful ;)

Great demo.

Donce: The visual effect was the more surprising for me :) I didn't know it was possible, so I was suitably impressed; the speed with which it was done (as you say) was the icing on the cake, so to speak - Very neat!

Donce said:

Actually, gliding through those bars is very easy. Just try and you'll see ;P To glide (almost) instantaneously is another thing.

i'm mostly amazed by twister's ability to open the door before the glide and still keep it fast. i have to do that in 'two steps' and this angle doesn't work for me for some reason. my best time is one tic slower, btw. :)

Very nice! Quicker than my TAS run. :) Very good gliding and rocket jumping. I can't repeat it.
PS: dew, How did you compile the demos?

ClumsyDoomer said:

dew, How did you compile the demos?

i just copypasted them one after other in a hexa editor. :) i only had to find the right number of wait tics for intermissions. rjs and glides seem to be independent on starting conditions, luckily doom2 doesn't involve death tricks, there are no monsters of course... if you really want to know, the only sources of desyncs were:
- shootable switches and rocket jumps. in later levels we'd have RL or other unintentionally picked projectile weapon brought up and i had to write in a switch to pistol and back to rl when needed.
- levels after story texts. it seems they actually start during the last few tics of the story screen, so the pause has to be shorter.
- map12, the biggest worry of the movie. i was afraid the random elevator movement would desync the run hopelessly and originally this was the case. i don't know if we just got lucky or if the elevators can be predicted after all, but adding a few more wait tics at the beginning synced it back. therefore graim's original run is a little bit faster than what's in the movie. :)
- map30, we didn't have a nomo entry for it, because we thought it was superfluous. i wanted to use psichotik's uv-speed, but what do you know, he gets hit by the revenant and its absence desynced the run, haha. hokis had to record a last minute filler. :)